Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Glad to hear some ppl are trying out the S-VCM approach. I'm also interested in what he came up especially since it appears that he is using the battery power to help make measurements. My only drawback is how low his rating is on ebay. I like to see more results from the product is being used and how he has refined it for the scenarios he hasn't encountered yet.
The resistor fix is so easy to do at home for next to nothing, I could not make myself buy $100 resistor. I opted for S-VCM to have some flexibility in the operation and still be able to see the temperature increase if truck starts to overheat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently installed the S-VCM Controller in my '08 Accord's V-6 with about 65K/mi too. So far, I'm very satisfied with it: no CEL, and the VCM stays fully deactivated regardless of outside temperature. No VCM-associated vibrations either, and the engine feels smoother working on all 6 cylinders. It also seems like the engine braking effect has increased, and it stays in gear somewhat longer than before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
just now have had the time to get on here...we did about 2,000 miles on the Pilot- NO stupid ECO mode, even in crawling Orlando traffic at 84 degrees outside!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Installed my Muzzler II a couple of days ago and so far it's fantastic. No CEL, no more ECO mode on/off, and a much smoother ride.

So glad I finally found out about this device! I have been irritated with the VCM since we purchased our 2011 Pilot used in 2013. It's my wife's car so I don't drive it all the time, but when I did the VCM drove me nuts!

Reactions: mcpilot2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, just received and installed the S-VCM from EBay. Received in 5 Days to NY. 10 min install as I have big paws and was hard to reach the plug. Works like a charm so far....about two tanks full of gas and no CEL or ECO light. Very happy so far.
Dean

·
Registered
602 Posts
Other than minor oil consumption - what negatives do you observe when the ECO light is on? Is it only when the ECO light is on?

Reason I ask, is that we have been driving our 2011, since 2014, and havent really noticed any ill effects of the VCM thus far. She is always .5 to .75 quarts low between 9000 mile oil changes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Report after few months of S-VCM use. Mileage 19.5mpg mixed city and highway. City mileage pretty bad, around 15.
No issues or lights or codes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi guys

I recently bought a used 2009 LX with 50K miles on it. Runs smooth as silk, it is very hard to tell when it goes into ECO mode if I'm not looking for the light.

I'm wondering whether there is any reason for me to disable VCM at all? BTW, I'm leaning towards S-VCM if I go for it, and would like to know whether anybody using that has connected the power wire to a switched source to prevent battery drain. In other words, does S-VCM need continuous power, or only when it is running?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys

I recently bought a used 2009 LX with 50K miles on it. Runs smooth as silk, it is very hard to tell when it goes into ECO mode if I'm not looking for the light.

I'm wondering whether there is any reason for me to disable VCM at all? BTW, I'm leaning towards S-VCM if I go for it, and would like to know whether anybody using that has connected the power wire to a switched source to prevent battery drain. In other words, does S-VCM need continuous power, or only when it is running?

Thanks!
I personally believe whether your particular vehicle behaves or misbehaves with VCM...it is far better for the long term health and driveability of your vehicle to go ahead and disable the VCM. I have the S-VCM Controller and just moved it from my wife's 11 Pilot with 170k miles to our recently purchased 13 Acura RDX with 55k miles. I went with the S-VCM because of the way it works in comparison to the others on the market...it was the best fit for me.

With regard to S-VCM power connection...I connected directly to the battery...believing it unnecessary to connect to switched power. My understanding is there is a small continuous current draw with the S-VCM...but that draw is comparitively very small...less draw than the remote lock /unlock system in the vehicle which remains ready to receive signal from your key fob to lock / unlock the doors.

In my experience so far...the S-VCM works as advertised and creates no battery issues whatsoever. You install it and it just works...transparently.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had my VCMuzzler II on for about 2 weeks and just yesterday after about the 80th mile of highway crusing when we hit some traffic and hit about 20mph the ECO light came on, off, on, off, etc while cruising at low speeds. Above that though it wouldn't kick on so I'm wondering if I need to move up to the next resistor? Anybody else have this issue?

Might be unrelated, but almost home and the check engine light lit up and also the VSA and triangle with exclamation light came on (Traction and hill assist?). Anywho, I pulled the code and got the P0303 which is the cyl 3 misfire. From what I've read about these things and their piston rings it seems it's a known issue and there is a TSB to fix it under an extended warranty? Without researching first, dumb on my part, I cleared the code. So now I need it to pop back up so I can take it to the dealership to have it checked out lol. I'm hoping they will cover it, whatever it actually is. I just changed my oil about 500 miles ago so there's no way the thing could possibly have lost enough oil to throw that code....right lol? Bought it used. 2011 Pilot EX. 69k on the odometer but we think it has close to 140k. It's a long story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm leaning towards the S VCM Controller but the wires look pretty exposed , is there any concern, any special advice on how to install these, follow directions of course , add any protection, straps?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts