Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have put several thousand miles on our 2011 Pilot 4WD with and without a VCMuzzler installed. Before installation the temp gauge read almost exactly at the halfway point no matter the ambient outdoor temp or load on the Pilot. After VCMuzzler install the temp gauge reads slightly less than half and again is rock steady no matter what. I would say weather you use a device to trick the VCM or not make a mark with a Sharpie where the temp gauge reads at full operating temperature. If at some point the gauge needle is above or below your mark after the engine has had time to fully warm you should probably start looking for an issue with your cooling system.

·
Registered
56 Posts
this interests me...looking at getting a device asap for my newly acquired 2011
My wife and I bought a pre owned 2011 Pilot for her business. I was not aware of the issues that people were experiencing as a result of VCM until after we made the purchase. After much research I bought and installed a VCMuzzler II and couldn't be more pleased. We were recently on a 1500 mile road trip heavily loaded including a 18 cubic foot roof carrier and a slide in platform carrier for the receiver hitch. We averaged between 18.5 and 19.5 MPG cruising at 70+ MPH. The Pilot was flawless and with the VCM bypassed I expect to have many thousands of trouble free miles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm still trying to decide too....

S-VCM Controller

I worry about;

1. The long term reliability.
2. No Fuse? The seller can say all he wants about what's inside. I feel a Fuse is a MUST!
3. Quality
-3a. I've heard of the battery wire corroding.
-3b. I've seen pics where it looked like wires were coming out of the "Magic Box" exposed. (Wasn't super clear though).

VCMuzzler II

I worry about;

1. Will the fake values keep fans from coming on? I don't want it running hotter than it has to.
2. Other problems from not seeing overheating.
3. Price. Seems high compared to other similar options.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a solution...

I have been using the VCMuzzler for two years now with excellent results. The simplicity is a big plus IMO. There are two things that change as a result of the install. 1) ECO mode is non existent. 2) The temp gauge reads a very slight bit lower. That's it. Everything else, cooling fans included, operate 100% as it did before installing VCMuzzler. As for the price. The cost of VCMuzzler is a very small price to pay for a great running engine over the long term. I have zero regrets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts