Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the new S-VCM controller? I’m very intrigued by it, and have in fact purchased one. While the VCMuzzler II does seem to suppress the VCM, I can’t help but be worried that even a minor cooling system malfunction may take out the whole engine. The VCMuzzler manufacturer has represented it as simply an offset in the coolant temperature reading, and that may be true around the 167 degree mark, but because it adds baseline OHMs, the temperature gauge can never truly show when the engine has overheated. Anyhow, wanted to see if anyone else had these concerns, and whether you’ll be giving the S-VCM a try.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/S-VCM-Contro...660318?hash=item239373449e:g:1ZcAAOSwCY9ZmjIs

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that is a misconception, and the reason I have some discomfort with the VCMuzzler II. Yes, at normal operating temperature, the VCMuzzler II has only a slight “offset” between the actual temperature, and what is being returned by the Muzzler. No problem there. My concern is that in the instance of an overheating event, that “offset” becomes much greater. Using the 82 Ohm resistor (blue), when the actual engine temperature is 270 degrees, the computer is being told it is only 216 degrees, not far outside a normal operating range. I think few people understand that the “offset” provided by the Muzzler is NOT linear, and becomes much more weighted as the temperature increases. You would perceive only only a slight increase at the gauge, but your engine is well on its way to catastrophic failure. Although modern engines seem to rarely suffer cooling failure, the fact is you may not know when it happens. The S-VCM addresses this issue.

All that being said, there are very few complaints about the Muzzler. Does anyone else share these concerns, and/or see any potential drawbacks the S-VCM? The ones I have thought of include parasitic battery losses, and a more complex system that opens more avenues to failure.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You have two Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensors on the engine. If you have an overheat condition the PCM going to trigger an check engine light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This may be true, but when the CEL is tripped the temperature gauge would not indicate an overheat condition. You’re likely to believe the problem is something other than an overheating condition, because the temperature gauge doesn’t indicate an issue.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Give the S-VCM a try and keep use posted with your results. Would be interested in actual engine temps while the device is being used.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have put several thousand miles on our 2011 Pilot 4WD with and without a VCMuzzler installed. Before installation the temp gauge read almost exactly at the halfway point no matter the ambient outdoor temp or load on the Pilot. After VCMuzzler install the temp gauge reads slightly less than half and again is rock steady no matter what. I would say weather you use a device to trick the VCM or not make a mark with a Sharpie where the temp gauge reads at full operating temperature. If at some point the gauge needle is above or below your mark after the engine has had time to fully warm you should probably start looking for an issue with your cooling system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a used VCMuzzler II from eBay but it yet to arrive. Where in the engine compartment do I install it? Lots of stuff in that tiny bay...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this interests me...looking at getting a device asap for my newly acquired 2011
You'll be glad you did, whichever you decide on. The difference between having VCM and having VCM disabled is night and day.

For those looking for an update on the S-VCM device, I'm still waiting to receive mine. Let's just say customer satisfaction leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully the actual device performs better than the creator. When I ordered my Muzzler, the customer service was outstanding, shipped quickly with clear instructions. A definite win for the Muzzler.

·
Registered
56 Posts
this interests me...looking at getting a device asap for my newly acquired 2011
My wife and I bought a pre owned 2011 Pilot for her business. I was not aware of the issues that people were experiencing as a result of VCM until after we made the purchase. After much research I bought and installed a VCMuzzler II and couldn't be more pleased. We were recently on a 1500 mile road trip heavily loaded including a 18 cubic foot roof carrier and a slide in platform carrier for the receiver hitch. We averaged between 18.5 and 19.5 MPG cruising at 70+ MPH. The Pilot was flawless and with the VCM bypassed I expect to have many thousands of trouble free miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Received my S-VCM controller, and have spent a few days with it installed. So far, it’s imperceptable. No VCM, no check engine light. I really like the fact that there is no changing resistors based on climate, cooling system efficiency, etc. Even better, there’s no concern that the engine will overheat without a warning. At this point, I’m very pleased.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got my VCMuzzII yesterday, thanks to Verbatim! We're taking the Pilot (2011) on a trip from Ky to Florida this week; I'm installing it today or tomorrow morning...I'll report back.

I, too had no idea that the problem was so wide-spread and well known. I'm really disappointed in Honda for this- and I've been a Honda fan for many years...have had zero problems with the many 4cyls I've had.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got S-vcm off eBay about 6 days to get it from canada to florida. 5min to install. No CEL or ECO anymore, smooth running again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree. This device is about as close to a VCM kill switch as you can get. The VCM does not engage, not in traffic, on hills, or on hot days. It's always off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Coolant temp gauge clearly shows a little bit lower than factory normal, with S-VCM installed.

Pilot runs like new

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear some ppl are trying out the S-VCM approach. I'm also interested in what he came up especially since it appears that he is using the battery power to help make measurements. My only drawback is how low his rating is on ebay. I like to see more results from the product is being used and how he has refined it for the scenarios he hasn't encountered yet.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts