Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Rear Differential Fluid Change

13304 Views 69 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Icedogg23
Hello all,
I took my 2019 Pilot today to the dealer where I purchased it for the maintenance minder B16 service. After I left, I noticed on my receipt that for the differential oil they used was something called “Syncro Shift 75W80” fluid and not the recommended Dual Pump II differential fluid shown in the owner’s manual. I did a little research and found that the Syncro Shift fluid is made by a company called BG out of Wichita, Kansas. I also called the service manager and talked to him about it, and he proceeded to tell me this brand fluid was better than the recommended DPII Honda fluid. He assured me that it wouldn’t void any warranties etc., but I’m not sure what to think. Has this situation happened to anyone else in this group? Should I specify on my next change to use only Honda fluids etc?? Thanks in advance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
I just had my 2018 Pilot differential and transfer case fluid replaced at the dealer last week and I noticed a groan at first when accelerating and now it feels like going over rumble strips on the highway. I called the dealer and she said bring it in immediately that the fluid they used is bad. They used BG Syncroshift fluid. I’ll drop it off tomorrow but differential is probably destroyed.

· Registered
50 Posts
Dealer will try flushing the differential and filling with Honda fluid. He said they will try another flush and fill if that doesn’t work. After that BG will be paying for a new differential if 2 flushes don’t fix it.

· Registered
50 Posts
Icedogg- just confirming, this for the rear differential that they used the BG correct?

Did they also do the front transfer assembly? What did they use in there? BG or Honda HGO-1?
Good question! I never thought to ask about the front transfer assembly. Invoice says they used the same “recalled BG fluid”. I will have to give them a call.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts