Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Rear Differential Fluid Change

13303 Views 69 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Icedogg23
Hello all,
I took my 2019 Pilot today to the dealer where I purchased it for the maintenance minder B16 service. After I left, I noticed on my receipt that for the differential oil they used was something called “Syncro Shift 75W80” fluid and not the recommended Dual Pump II differential fluid shown in the owner’s manual. I did a little research and found that the Syncro Shift fluid is made by a company called BG out of Wichita, Kansas. I also called the service manager and talked to him about it, and he proceeded to tell me this brand fluid was better than the recommended DPII Honda fluid. He assured me that it wouldn’t void any warranties etc., but I’m not sure what to think. Has this situation happened to anyone else in this group? Should I specify on my next change to use only Honda fluids etc?? Thanks in advance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
1,085 Posts
Bought the gallon of VTM-4 today from local Honda dealer and the cost was $42 - wow
Hope you are not planning on using that fluid in your gen3. The correct diff fluid is DPSF II which is made by the Nippon Oil Co. for Honda. You can also get Eneos DPSF II from NAPA stores at a better price than the dealer.

· Registered
1,085 Posts
Shoot I returned the third quart :/

I can always run back over there - I work half way close and I’m not doing this all until next Saturday the earliest
I also used 3 bottles to do mine and I have an almost full one sitting on the shelf so I only need 2 next time. I also reused the seal washers as I have done with every vehicle I have owned, and had no leaks in over 40 years.

· Registered
1,085 Posts
So I completed the rear differential, front transfer module, and did a 4x drain and fill in the 6spd using Valvoline max life - I think with just under 31,000 Miles and my plan to install the svcm next weekend I should get more longevity from my transmission
I have been using Maxlife in my 6speed for almost two years now and it seems to be holding up better than DW1. You will notice that the shifting is slightly firmer with Maxlife especially the downshifts but they will be a lot smoother after you install the SVCM. After 2 years with Maxlife, I don't even notice the difference now and appreciate how much better a full synthetic fluid stands up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts