Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Rear Differential Fluid Change

13307 Views 69 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Icedogg23
Hello all,
I took my 2019 Pilot today to the dealer where I purchased it for the maintenance minder B16 service. After I left, I noticed on my receipt that for the differential oil they used was something called “Syncro Shift 75W80” fluid and not the recommended Dual Pump II differential fluid shown in the owner’s manual. I did a little research and found that the Syncro Shift fluid is made by a company called BG out of Wichita, Kansas. I also called the service manager and talked to him about it, and he proceeded to tell me this brand fluid was better than the recommended DPII Honda fluid. He assured me that it wouldn’t void any warranties etc., but I’m not sure what to think. Has this situation happened to anyone else in this group? Should I specify on my next change to use only Honda fluids etc?? Thanks in advance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,313 Posts
Compatible IS NOT the same thing as Approved or Licensed!

Valvoline Max Life transmission fluid says it is recommended for use in the Honda 9 speed transmission which Honda says to use a 3.1 fluid. Of course, Valvoline is the one saying it is recommended, not Honda! Appears that BG is saying the same thing for their fluid, not Honda. You would be putting in an unapproved transmission fluid which does not carry a Honda license.

Have a problem with the transmission down the road after using an unapproved product, see how your warranty could very easily be denied for not using the proper product.

BG products are sold by many dealerships of all makes because it is a BIGGER profit maker than the other fluids they could sell.

I would make sure that fluid was removed, the rear differential flushed with a Honda approved product, and then filled with he proper product.

And just what is a BG Supercharged Roadside (may be other words that didn't copy in your picture) on the repair ticket you posted??????

· Registered
1,313 Posts
I was going Off this
Honda must have been so concerned about an incorrect rear differential fluid being used in the 3rd generation Pilots that they went ahead and STAMPED the correct fluid name on the rear differential!!!! This was found on the 2016 models and my 2019 model has it also. Thanks to "Wanderer" who originally posted this picture! Note also that the Honda fluid may be hard to find in stock and the Honda parts department will substitute the same part number 08200-9007 with 08200-9007A. The bottle will say Acura hence the A on the part number but the fluid is the same!

Automotive lighting Black Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

· Registered
1,313 Posts
If I recall, you are supposed to start the car after filling it and then rechecking it. You might have to add a little bit more. This is copied from the Pilot Service Manual and is done after your initial drain and fill

Fluid Capacity:
1.82 L (1.92 US qt) at fluid change
2.33 L (2.46 US qt) at overhaul
Recommended fluid: Honda DPSFII
6. Loosely install the filler plug with the used sealing washer.
7. Do the rear differential fluid air bleeding.
Start the engine.
Shift the transmission to P position/mode.
Wait for 1 minute.
8. Turn the engine off.
9. Remove the filler plug and the sealing washer.
10. Refill the rear differential with rear differential fluid to the
proper level.
11. Install the filler plug with a new sealing washer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts