Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
not sure how or when, but the auto stop feature stopped working on its own. No warning message no light, zero. If i press to disable, the warning info comes on, but press again and it says its enabled, but it doesnt work.
Its 2017 Pilot elite with almost 28k kms. It is also due for an A1 service, but i dont think its related.
I asked the dealer to look into this when they will do the service next week.

Its funny, that it annoyed me when it worked, but it bothers me it is not working...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looking for one suggestion!
How I can remove the wireless charger in the '19 model?

if you guys can help me it will be broadly benefited for me dear.

Thanks in advance for you nice co-opearion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
RGVPilot, An excellent solution and well documented too, thanks. I planned to devise a delayed action one shot relay setup to send a pulse a few seconds after starting the Pilot to disable the "feature" every time I got into the car.

Based on your work which proved that a contact closure pulse wasn't needed, only a closure, I came up with a distilled solution.

I stuffed a toothpick alongside the pushbutton to keep it in the engaged state.

Works like a charm!

$40k suv and you used toothpick to disable the auto annoy??? May I suggest you a piece of chewing gum . Just kidding. Anything to disable that feature would work for me. I hardwired it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gotta be one of the worst/most useless features ever. And its not just a Honda thing - The new Ford 150 Fleet models at work have the same damn "feature". Nothing like having auto stop start in a work truck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
RGVPilot, An excellent solution and well documented too, thanks. I planned to devise a delayed action one shot relay setup to send a pulse a few seconds after starting the Pilot to disable the "feature" every time I got into the car.

Based on your work which proved that a contact closure pulse wasn't needed, only a closure, I came up with a distilled solution.

I stuffed a toothpick alongside the pushbutton to keep it in the engaged state.

Works like a charm!
I tried this on my 2019 Elite yesterday and no go. I even pressed down hard with my finger and tried with no success. Is yours a 2019?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yup. it was the battery. they said it tested low and replaced it under warranty. no issues since with idle stop. still hate it so i did the hood method for now. will hard wire it if it gets problematic again.
Good to know this. I think I may have a bad battery as well.

I previously ignored this thread as the auto start/stop didn't bother me. But I've noticed in the past month, especially in this cold weather, that when I start my car after sitting for a week w/o use that this feature's causing my hid headlights to flicker noticeably upon activation and one indicator to be lit slightly longer than normal (I need to watch more careful to see which one it is.. It might be the engine start indicator).

This behavior goes away after the car has been driven a while, but it concerns me when I see my lights flicker so noticeably so now I'm resorting to turning off the auto start/stop. I'll ask my service advisor about the battery the next time I go in.

On a side note, I have to say I really like how smooth the v6 engine is.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coding

I just got a new 2019 Pilot Elite and it has the annoying auto stop.

I believe there has to be a way to "code it" to last memory function. I have a 2013 BMW with the auto stop too and I actually found out on a bimmer forum that the function can be coded to make the default to the "last function memory" so I don't have to push that damn button, everytime I start the car. (I've since bought a cable and coded other features on my BMW that somehow I don't know why BMW disables a lot of cool features for the US market.)

Anyways, whenever you take your car for service they hook up a cable to some port underneath the steering wheel area. Thats how they figure out the "diagnostics" and why the "check engine light" is on and other things... By tapping into my BMW's computers' system I was able to enable and disable lots of options. One of them being the auto start/stop feature. I researched online and the forums and found out where the command was and simply switched it to "last function memory" This basically means if I press the auto stop/start button and turn it off, and then turn off the car; then turn the car back on, the auto stop/start feature remembers the last mode I had it on... enabled or disabled. Of course I have it on disable.

Since my Pilot is brand new, I will NOT attempt to code it, cause I can probably screw up other things and most likely void any warranties, since I am no way a tech person. Plus there is probably no actual cable anymore since everything is done wireless (which means that somebody can possibly hack into your Pilot while you are driving down the road... scary thought.. eh?) Next time I take the Pilot into the dealership, I will tell them to turn the function off, cause I know they can, its just whether they will do so or not. (All the car manufacturers that have the auto stop/start function in the US, have it set to always on by default because of the EPA MPG rules I believe...)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just got a new 2019 Pilot Elite and it has the annoying auto stop.

I believe there has to be a way to "code it" to last memory function. I have a 2013 BMW with the auto stop too and I actually found out on a bimmer forum that the function can be coded to make the default to the "last function memory" so I don't have to push that damn button, everytime I start the car. (I've since bought a cable and coded other features on my BMW that somehow I don't know why BMW disables a lot of cool features for the US market.)

Anyways, whenever you take your car for service they hook up a cable to some port underneath the steering wheel area. Thats how they figure out the "diagnostics" and why the "check engine light" is on and other things... By tapping into my BMW's computers' system I was able to enable and disable lots of options. One of them being the auto start/stop feature. I researched online and the forums and found out where the command was and simply switched it to "last function memory" This basically means if I press the auto stop/start button and turn it off, and then turn off the car; then turn the car back on, the auto stop/start feature remembers the last mode I had it on... enabled or disabled. Of course I have it on disable.

Since my Pilot is brand new, I will NOT attempt to code it, cause I can probably screw up other things and most likely void any warranties, since I am no way a tech person. Plus there is probably no actual cable anymore since everything is done wireless (which means that somebody can possibly hack into your Pilot while you are driving down the road... scary thought.. eh?) Next time I take the Pilot into the dealership, I will tell them to turn the function off, cause I know they can, its just whether they will do so or not. (All the car manufacturers that have the auto stop/start function in the US, have it set to always on by default because of the EPA MPG rules I believe...)

Your Pilot is not the same as a BMW. Honda is very secretive on what systems parameters that the technician can manipulate on the HDS. Dealer techs cannot permanently disable anything that may effect CARB compliance numbers, such as VCM and Auto Start Stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2017 Pilot Touring. Worked fine until Saturday while the wife was driving. She drives with it "Disabled" all the time because she hates that auto stop/start feature. Mine is not working at all now, Not functioning and now I have no Heat/AC at all, no heated seats, no temp indicator. that part of the console seems dead. Taking it to Coleman Honda in Clarksville, MD this afternoon. Hoping for quick fix. Its cold outside.

·
Super Moderator
15,185 Posts
I've driven three vehicles BMW, Citroen and Vauxhall all with stop start systems, one auto others stick shift, two diesel and one petrol/gas.
Each different in active operation, ability to shut off, smoothness at shut down, start up.
And they all were in England to....
You get used to it, it's ok, but nothing I aspire to having..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I haven’t been on this forum for a while, not since I was complaining about when they were going to put Apple CarPlay in the 3G Pilot, so once they did in 2017, we purchased. Now has 35,000+ miles. This is our third Pilot, and we have been very pleased with all of them. This auto-stop feature is something that should allow the customer to change the default to always on and switch to off OR always off and switch to on. Have the same issue with some things in my BMW as well. These new ecu’s in modern cars have the capability to provide more info and/or change defaults, yet they do not allow customer access. In the BMW world they have Bimmercode, but that comes with a whole other set of problems/issues. Why can’t they give us as customer the ability to make these simple adjustments to our vehicles?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Mine only works for a few days and then it stops working. It's been in the shop twice and I'm just not going to worried about it. I'm going to wait until this spring when the weather turns a little warmer and if it don't work then they are going to replace it and install a new one for me. Everything on the Pilot works just fine other than the auto stop.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good to know this. I think I may have a bad battery as well.

I previously ignored this thread as the auto start/stop didn't bother me. But I've noticed in the past month, especially in this cold weather, that when I start my car after sitting for a week w/o use that this feature's causing my hid headlights to flicker noticeably upon activation and one indicator to be lit slightly longer than normal (I need to watch more careful to see which one it is.. It might be the engine start indicator).

This behavior goes away after the car has been driven a while, but it concerns me when I see my lights flicker so noticeably so now I'm resorting to turning off the auto start/stop. I'll ask my service advisor about the battery the next time I go in.

On a side note, I have to say I really like how smooth the v6 engine is.

Thanks
Well, it finally happened. Fortunately my battery failed yesterday afternoon while parked in my driveway. The start/stop probably lessened its life. The battery was replaced under warranty.

There were prior indications that it was about to fail. About a month ago the stop/start system took an unusually long time to restart the car, so in preparation for the inevitable I got into the habit of disabling it every time I got into the car. Since then I've brought the car to the dealer for other reasons and expressed my concern about the battery. No issues were found with it.

The thing that threw me off a bit was that I drove the car 5 or 6 times that morning for about 30 minutes each and the car exhibited no issues. Both the battery and low oil indicators were lit. I was concerned about the oil since just a couple of days ago I had the fluids changed for the brake, rear differential, and transmission. The engine oil level seemed fine.

Really thankful though that it happened in my driveway and not elsewhere. I will continue to disable the start/stop system. It's just not worth saving a few mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ya, so incorrect.
There is oil circulation. Doubtful you are sitting long enough at a red light for the oil in the top end to completely drain to the pan and leave the valves and cylinder dry. You are not causing extra wear and tear.
Cold starts cause wear and tear because the oil isn't in the top end and the oil is cold and thick.
May not hurt engine but running the starter 20 times in a 3 mile trip through a crowded city has to wear the starter, don't you think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if this will help but I owned a '17 Grand Cherokee with Stop / Start. While reading the manual I came upon the instances where it will not activate. One of which was an open hood. I found the switch on the left fender side that compresses down when the hood is closed to tell the computer all is well. I pulled the switch out of its holder and tied it down on its side so it could not compress. This tells the computer the hood is open when its actually not and thus Stop / Start will not function. Had to live with the idiot light in the dash but it was worth it to get away from this system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got a call and email today from federal Department of Transportation in response to the complaint I submitted way back on July 17, 2018 to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) online about the auto idle stop stalling problem.

Email said "My name is ___ from NHTSA (Office of Defects Investigations) and I want to follow up with you on your 2016 Honda Pilot regarding your complaint list below. Has the dealer been able to duplicate the problems? and what was done to fix the issue."

Haven't had a chance to call back, but wanted to pass this along and encourage others who have had this problem to submit a complaint at File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA. As of today, I've counted about 9 complaints submitted to NHTSA and I know more people on this forum have complained. It looks like NHTSA is finally looking into it.

So far I have not had the problem since I replaced the car battery in August.
An update on the status of NHTSA investigation in response to complaint I submitted last fall. They originally asked me if I still had the old battery because they might need it for assessment and investigation. They asked me for any reports from the Honda dealership with regard to battery performance. They also asked my for permission to share my VIN number with the manufacturer. I don't have the battery, but provided them with numerous service records from when I reported the problem to the dealer showing that each time they checked the battery and it passed and that the dealer was unable to duplicate the problem during inspection or test drive. The NHTSA investigator said he would share the information with the manufacturer and with his manager.

I asked him for a status update since I hadn't heard anything further since the fall. He responded today that all he can say is that his office at NHTSA is still examining all the complaints with their engineers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
An update on the status of NHTSA investigation in response to complaint I submitted last fall. They originally asked me if I still had the old battery because they might need it for assessment and investigation. They asked me for any reports from the Honda dealership with regard to battery performance. They also asked my for permission to share my VIN number with the manufacturer. I don't have the battery, but provided them with numerous service records from when I reported the problem to the dealer showing that each time they checked the battery and it passed and that the dealer was unable to duplicate the problem during inspection or test drive. The NHTSA investigator said he would share the information with the manufacturer and with his manager.

I asked him for a status update since I hadn't heard anything further since the fall. He responded today that all he can say is that his office at NHTSA is still examining all the complaints with their engineers.

...following.

Keep me in the loop.

Our 2016 Touring AWD had its battery replaced under warranty and we constantly get errors and lights due to the low strength of the battery. In fact I was told that the Honda battery specs are underpowered for the Pilot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The idle auto end hadn’t made its way into the sub-premium segment. Allegedly, as disruptive and irregular as the feature was at the time, automakers looked to idle auto-stop to save fuel. I more often than not turn it off.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.