Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick note on why I did this:
Since the purchase of my wife’s 2016 Elite Pilot we have struggled to like the auto stop/start feature. With her and the kids always running around she sometimes forgets to manually disable it but when it shuts the car down she hits the button and moves on. I thought it was kinda cool at first, and so did my wife...until a few weeks ago. My wife the other day called me after she picked up the kids from summer camp and was in a panic. She was very upset after the engine auto stop feature turned the car off while she was in traffic. That’s not the issue, the problem was that the “START” function of the Auto Stop didn’t work!! It tried but then all power to the vehicle turned off. She then had to quickly shift into park, place foot on brake, push the start button, and shift back in drive while everyone behind her was honking and peeling out around her.

I started thinking, what if a car was about to T-bone her and the kids and that damn setting prevented her from attempting to get out of the way! That’s when I was determined to find a way and have this possibly deadly feature permanently disabled.

This is an easy, reversible (won’t void warranty) , way to have the feature disabled every time the car starts!

Disclaimer: This was my 2016 Pilot Elite with 9-speed trans...I have absolutely not idea if this will work for your pilot.

Let’s get into it!!!

Step 1 - Remove 2 screws under the rubber pad in front of the shift buttons

Step 2 - Open the center console storage compartment and pull up just in front of where the console latches, it should be pretty easy its held with just those little pressure clips

Step 3 - Once removed look under the cover and find the attached wire harness

Step 4 - On my pilot the wire is YELLOW it was next to the red wire, this wire is grounded unless you press the button then you will see 12v. You can test with a multimeter if you have one.

Step 5 - Use something small and flat to wedge in the white wiring harness to unclip the YELLOW wire. Basically this connector just has a flap that flips down to hold the pin in place. If you are familiar with Swiss Army knives I used the tweezers and it was perfect.

Step 6 - Constant 12v is the GREEN wire, honda made the pins large enough to conveniently fit 2 in these ports...so lets take advantage of that! Take the YELLOW wire and slip it inside the green pins hole, kinda the way we disconnected the yellow wire. This will make the yellow wire have 12v anytime the car is on...which tells the pilot to turn off the auto start stop!!!!

Wrote this on my iPad and didn’t have a great way to format it, may come back to update it next week.

Special thanks to Hondaguy92 for providing some input on this in another post I read

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quick note on why I did this:
Since the purchase of my wife’s 2016 Elite Pilot we have struggled to like the auto stop/start feature. With her and the kids always running around she sometimes forgets to manually disable it but when it shuts the car down she hits the button and moves on. I thought it was kinda cool at first, and so did my wife...until a few weeks ago. My wife the other day called me after she picked up the kids from summer camp and was in a panic. She was very upset after the engine auto stop feature turned the car off while she was in traffic. That’s not the issue, the problem was that the “START” function of the Auto Stop didn’t work!! It tried but then all power to the vehicle turned off. She then had to quickly shift into park, place foot on brake, push the start button, and shift back in drive while everyone behind her was honking and peeling out around her.

I started thinking, what if a car was about to T-bone her and the kids and that damn setting prevented her from attempting to get out of the way! That’s when I was determined to find a way and have this possibly deadly feature permanently disabled.

This is an easy, reversible (won’t void warranty) , way to have the feature disabled every time the car starts!

Disclaimer: This was my 2016 Pilot Elite with 9-speed trans...I have absolutely not idea if this will work for your pilot.

Let’s get into it!!!

Step 1 - Remove 2 screws under the rubber pad in front of the shift buttons

Step 2 - Open the center console storage compartment and pull up just in front of where the console latches, it should be pretty easy its held with just those little pressure clips

Step 3 - Once removed look under the cover and find the attached wire harness

Step 4 - On my pilot the wire is YELLOW it was next to the red wire, this wire is grounded unless you press the button then you will see 12v. You can test with a multimeter if you have one.

Step 5 - Use something small and flat to wedge in the white wiring harness to unclip the YELLOW wire. Basically this connector just has a flap that flips down to hold the pin in place. If you are familiar with Swiss Army knives I used the tweezers and it was perfect.

Step 6 - Constant 12v is the GREEN wire, honda made the pins large enough to conveniently fit 2 in these ports...so lets take advantage of that! Take the YELLOW wire and slip it inside the green pins hole, kinda the way we disconnected the yellow wire. This will make the yellow wire have 12v anytime the car is on...which tells the pilot to turn off the auto start stop!!!!

Wrote this on my iPad and didn’t have a great way to format it, may come back to update it next week.

Special thanks to Hondaguy92 for providing some input on this in another post I read
Sweet!

If anyone wants to know how to de-pin that yellow wire look it up on YouTube. It’s very easy with a tiny flat head screw driver or even a safety pin

·
Registered
67 Posts
She was very upset after the engine auto stop feature turned the car off while she was in traffic. That’s not the issue, the problem was that the “START” function of the Auto Stop didn’t work!! It tried but then all power to the vehicle turned off. She then had to quickly shift into park, place foot on brake, push the start button, and shift back in drive while everyone behind her was honking and peeling out around her.
My 2016 is the first car I have with auto stop and it works differently than yours. The auto stop activates only when brake is pressed deep enough plus car is stopped completely. Engine starts again when brake is released and car is ready to go. Never need to push start button.
Did you check with the Honda dealer why your car won't start when brake is released?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2016 is the first car I have with auto stop and it works differently than yours. The auto stop activates only when brake is pressed deep enough plus car is stopped completely. Engine starts again when brake is released and car is ready to go. Never need to push start button.
Did you check with the Honda dealer why your car won't start when brake is released?
That is how ours functions too. The issue we have had is that the delay between releasing the brake and moving forward has in some cases created “hairy” situations. In this case it actually did not re-start as you would expect which is enough to make me say never try that again. Even if you don’t think a scary situation may occur think about the possible wear and tear of starting a hot engine with zero oil circulation, wouldn’t you think it might cause more friction which will wear on the motor over time. I really do not see the benefit of this function other than the need to create better MPG on the cars sticker.

I’m sure you will notice these deficiencies over time too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
WORKS! PERMANENTLY Disable Auto Stop Start!

Quote "She was very upset after the engine auto stop feature turned the car off while she was in traffic. That’s not the issue, the problem was that the “START” function of the Auto Stop didn’t work!! It tried but then all power to the vehicle turned off. She then had to quickly shift into park, place foot on brake, push the start button, and shift back in drive while everyone behind her was honking and peeling out around her. "

For a second I thought you were telling my story. The POS auto idle stop drives me crazy, but I haven't got the courage to do what you did. Mine 4/10 times that it wouldn't restart after auto stop. And of course the dealer found nothing wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just make sure I press it (disable) right after starting vehicle. It's the stupidest idea ever. Like everyone else, i care more about my family's safety than mpgs. And of course I always disable the econ button too. I bought a v6, not less.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
very cool and simple enough and also easily reversible. should be stickied.

I wish there was a way to still turn it on though. meaning it stays off by default then turn on after pressing the button

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had auto-stop turned off and was able to stomp the gas pedal and leap forward like a drag racer as soon as the light turned green, only to be t-boned by someone in cross traffic running a red light. From now on, I will leave auto-stop enabled.
OK, that never happened. But the scenario is just as silly as the one where the delay of waiting for auto-stop to restart increases the chance of being t-boned.
If you want to drive like Don Prudhomme or Tom McEwen, I'm fine with that. Why did you not choose a fast and furious vehicle that supports that sort of driving?

Having said that, I have to admit that this latest issue with auto-stop turning into actual-stop in 2016 models is concerning. I suspect a weak battery, but so far nobody has come forth with any evidence to either support or refute that. If anyone finds a good fix (besides rewiring your console/voiding warranties), be sure and report it here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If anyone finds a good fix (besides rewiring your console/voiding warranties), be sure and report it here.
What kind of fix do you expect someone to find that doesn't require a warranty voiding modification - press button 5 times within 2 seconds while sitting in the 3rd row seat?

C'mon.

The solution in this thread is more than likely, the best you are going to get. No adding components, cutting, splicing, etc. Oh, and it's reversible.

·
Registered
196 Posts
OK, that never happened. But the scenario is just as silly as the one where the delay of waiting for auto-stop to restart increases the chance of being t-boned.
I'm not too sure about being t-boned, but it can happen. That's why it's called can "accident". But since most 9speed owners complain about it, it's something to take precaution with.

Nothing's silly when an accident does happen, especially if it's fatal or life changing. But if you can avoid it, why not improve your outcome.

My Fellow Piloteers from NYC, LA, and SF can all agree with me about rush hour traffic and how this "functionality" has caused more headaches and near "rear bumper damage" than good.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
There is a way. It’s called “engine start/stop” button.
smh bruh :rolleyes:

do you even have an elite or touring.

It's on my default, and it would be nice to have it off by default and needing to turn it on instead of having to turn it off everytime the car starts. There are trips i know wont make use of startstop because it is constant lights/stop signs, but there are other times i know i could make more use to it thus the comment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not saying an accident is silly. I'm saying coming up with imaginary accident scenarios to justify sensible actions is silly. If you don't like auto-stop, turn it off. No need to explain. No need to invent spouse/offspring death scenarios.

As for the "fix" I would like to see for this problem: It would probably be something like a firmware change that adds an additional sensor reading to the list of things that keep auto-stop from turning on. For example, a sensor detects the battery has less than full cranking power. Or whatever is causing this problem. It should be a permanent fix, applied by your Honda dealer, not customer rewiring tricks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good info. Does the light now always stay on in the dash to confirm it is off?

I'm on the GM truck forum and guys do mods like this by jumping pins in the body control module harness plugs, either using a wire or a resistor. So I took our Pilot trim off last night. I didn't try removing the yellow wire pin, but I tried to just use a jumper wire and stuck each end in the yellow and green wire slots. It sort of worked, but I had to jiggle the wire to make good contact and it turned it off. But even when I felt I had good contact, I shut the Pilot off and turned it back on, and it was no longer turned off until I jiggled the wire again. So I guess I'll try it again and remove the yellow pin and stick it in the green slot like you instructed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Even if you don’t think a scary situation may occur think about the possible wear and tear of starting a hot engine with zero oil circulation, wouldn’t you think it might cause more friction which will wear on the motor over time. I really do not see the benefit of this function other than the need to create better MPG on the cars sticker.
Ya, so incorrect.
There is oil circulation. Doubtful you are sitting long enough at a red light for the oil in the top end to completely drain to the pan and leave the valves and cylinder dry. You are not causing extra wear and tear.
Cold starts cause wear and tear because the oil isn't in the top end and the oil is cold and thick.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had auto-stop turned off and was able to stomp the gas pedal and leap forward like a drag racer as soon as the light turned green, only to be t-boned by someone in cross traffic running a red light. From now on, I will leave auto-stop enabled.
If you want to drive like Don Prudhomme or Tom McEwen, I'm fine with that. Why did you not choose a fast and furious vehicle that supports that sort of driving?

Having said that, I have to admit that this latest issue with auto-stop turning into actual-stop in 2016 models is concerning. I suspect a weak battery, but so far nobody has come forth with any evidence to either support or refute that. If anyone finds a good fix (besides rewiring your console/voiding warranties), be sure and report it here.
Lol this is easy and as good as it gets as far as negating to press that button each time you start the vehicle! What other "good fix" do you want? It wasn't broken in the first place, it's just a way to bypass the annoying feature.

·
Registered
230 Posts
very cool and simple enough and also easily reversible. should be stickied.

I wish there was a way to still turn it on though. meaning it stays off by default then turn on after pressing the button
Sometimes someone just can't make people happy or satisfied.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So there are two proposed methods to permanatly disable the auto stop/start feature in Touring/Elite?

One by Hondaguy92 where you disconnect the yellow wire.

and one by RGVPilot where you disconnect the yellow wire and reconnect it to the green wire.

Can someone tell me the difference as far as what is actually going on with the Pilot to produce this outcome?

Do they both continue to be effective after every retart? Does the Auto Start Off indicator light appear on the dash with either of these methods?

Just curious, thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good info. Does the light now always stay on in the dash to confirm it is off?

I'm on the GM truck forum and guys do mods like this by jumping pins in the body control module harness plugs, either using a wire or a resistor. So I took our Pilot trim off last night. I didn't try removing the yellow wire pin, but I tried to just use a jumper wire and stuck each end in the yellow and green wire slots. It sort of worked, but I had to jiggle the wire to make good contact and it turned it off. But even when I felt I had good contact, I shut the Pilot off and turned it back on, and it was no longer turned off until I jiggled the wire again. So I guess I'll try it again and remove the yellow pin and stick it in the green slot like you instructed.
To answer your question, yes the light on the dash should light up each time the pilot is started if this is performed correctly. I believe you may have seen that result because the yellow wire is grounded when not pressed therefore the 12v high trigger may not have been seen by simply using a jumper. I suppose you could put a switch on the yellow wire but that would require cutting it, and I was looking to cause as little damage as possible and wanted a solution that was reversible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So there are two proposed methods to permanatly disable the auto stop/start feature in Touring/Elite?

One by Hondaguy92 where you disconnect the yellow wire.

and one by RGVPilot where you disconnect the yellow wire and reconnect it to the green wire.

Can someone tell me the difference as far as what is actually going on with the Pilot to produce this outcome?

Do they both continue to be effective after every retart? Does the Auto Start Off indicator light appear on the dash with either of these methods?

Just curious, thanks!
I attempted Hondaguy92's by just disconnecting the wire, but that did not work on my pilot. In my tests with a multi-meter I found that the button, which is normally LOW (0 Volts), when pressed went HIGH (12 v). Then I found that the green wire was 12v when the ignition was on so connecting the yellow and green makes it think the button was pressed.

Everything is still running fine with this fix. I agree with past posts that it may be a jump to think about it causing an accident but eliminating a possible weakness that we see may help to avoid one.

Also it was brought up that the battery may have caused the failure to start, that was my first thought as well. So I ran over and had it tested...the battery tested perfectly, I was really hoping that was the issue but it turned out not to be the case.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.