Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
It has been so long since I did mine it's hard to remember, but I do know I removed the complete mic. and it has 2 mic's in one unit.

Don't forget... all of my audio, blue-tooth, EVERYTHING goes through my Alpine head-unit, so it may be different for you.

Well you got lucky.... I had my old ANC mic (no Navigation) in my desk drawer! The non-navi mic looks the same as the first post Toolman-joe posted(even the same model number)

Attachments

I can update this for a 2015 SE (no nav, with RES)...the front mic did change part #, including a new blue 7pin connector and different wire colors. The real issue is the new mic has no internal mic connector, it's just soldered directly to the PC board (the red wire fix won't work). I don't know what year this changed, but if you have an "mic array" microphone #39180-tv0-e010-m1, this will disable ANC.

I tracked this info down through the above info, and the Crosstour forum. Just did it, it works, and Handsfree sill works fine.

1) Disconnect the rear mic harness, cutting the foam as seen in this post and pulling the connector out to reach it. No screws, no hassles.

2) On the front mic, unwrap the harness and clip JUST the plain white wire. Don't cut the white/striped silver wire. The Crosstour forum info says this is the "smaller" white wire, but for me they were both the same diameter. Don't cut the striped white wire, that is the HFL (handsfree) mic.

I couldn't tell a difference when ANC was "on", disabled in Diagnostics, or with the mics disconnected/clipped, but I can say the sub & amps don't feed back now.
Maybe a very slight ability to hear the engine 2500-3000 rpm has increased - like on highway entry -- but it's not objectionable.

Thanks someone finally did it. I was going to disable mines because I was going to add an aftermarket sub to my factory radio. But as you said there is no red wire and also it's different on the newer models I have a 2014 EX..

Little Help? Subwoofer sound setting now not functioning

I REALLY appreciate all of the advice on this thread. I also wanted to improve the stock system of my 2015 Pilot LX 4WD, while maintaining OEM look.

I replaced the stock door speakers with Infinity Primus coax 6.5 in rear and components in front door/dash. Better. Next I put a Rockford 8" in the rear factory enclosure. The .23 CF volume requirement made me think it would work fine, and it did. It sounded better than stock, even with the 85db efficiency spec and stock Pilot amp power---but I still wanted better bass.

In my new 2015 Pilot, OMG, factory radio is more integrated into the dash and car functionality. I just added a Soundstream mono amp and attempted to do so by cutting the factory wire going to sub, and running a 4 conductor wire to the amp location under the passenger seat---2 conductors to carry the signal to the amp under the seat, and 2 conductors to return the amplified signal to the RF sub in the factory enclosure.

Enter the roaring ANC. When I turned it on, it roared with a steady LF hum. I disconnected the amp and now there is NO subwoofer output and it's not even adjustable on the factory deck!! I navigate to the sound settings, and I can even navigate to the 'Subwoofer' level bar, but it doesn't allow me to adjust it! It doesn't even have an indicator for where the Sub out put is (to the right or left of 'center'). Any ideas guys? Would really appreciate any help.

I can update this for a 2015 SE (no nav, with RES)...the front mic did change part #, including a new blue 7pin connector and different wire colors. The real issue is the new mic has no internal mic connector, it's just soldered directly to the PC board (the red wire fix won't work). I don't know what year this changed, but if you have an "mic array" microphone #39180-tv0-e010-m1, this will disable ANC.

I tracked this info down through the above info, and the Crosstour forum. Just did it, it works, and Handsfree sill works fine.

1) Disconnect the rear mic harness, cutting the foam as seen in this post and pulling the connector out to reach it. No screws, no hassles.

2) On the front mic, unwrap the harness and clip JUST the plain white wire. Don't cut the white/striped silver wire. The Crosstour forum info says this is the "smaller" white wire, but for me they were both the same diameter. Don't cut the striped white wire, that is the HFL (handsfree) mic.

I couldn't tell a difference when ANC was "on", disabled in Diagnostics, or with the mics disconnected/clipped, but I can say the sub & amps don't feed back now.
Maybe a very slight ability to hear the engine 2500-3000 rpm has increased - like on highway entry -- but it's not objectionable.
I wasn't able to remove the rear connector so I just cut it. The front directions were exactly as explained. The results?

AWESOME!!! The droning my (temporary) aftermarket sub are gone. Thanks for the help fellas!

Okay, now that you've finished disabling the rear mic, let's move on to the front. Again, replay if you have any questions as I will monitor the thread.

-Joe
I you plan to install an aftermarket amp or sub to your audio system, you will quickly learn that it doesn't play with the Pilots ANC (Active Noise Cancellation). The good news is that it is possible to disable the ANC by disconnecting the front and rear ANC mics. I've provided detailed instructions with photos for you. Just view the photos in order. First we will cover the Rear mic then the front in the next post. If you have question, just respond to the post as I will monitor it.

-Joe

Your a lifesaver. This worked out great and I can now enjoy some good old fashion bass.

Thanks Very much for all this WELL DETAIL explanation with pictures, it seems a little bit complicated at first but in reality is NOT, I follow step by step and i was able to finished everything in less than 35 min!!! ,,, and I didn't cut any cables but YES the rear ANC is a little challenge but i just used a PHILLIPIS SCREWDRIVER BIT and hold that with my fingers and it was so easy to take those screws for some reason those screw are NOT tight enough and i THINK everyone can be able to do it with not too much of a troubles.
Now I'm able to listen with not problems the 10" subwoofer and 1000W amplifier that i installed in the SUV.
Thank you so much TOOLMAN JOE!!!

2013 Honda Pilot EX

I REALLY appreciate all of the advice on this thread. I also wanted to improve the stock system of my 2015 Pilot LX 4WD, while maintaining OEM look.

I replaced the stock door speakers with Infinity Primus coax 6.5 in rear and components in front door/dash. Better. Next I put a Rockford 8" in the rear factory enclosure. The .23 CF volume requirement made me think it would work fine, and it did. It sounded better than stock, even with the 85db efficiency spec and stock Pilot amp power---but I still wanted better bass.

In my new 2015 Pilot, OMG, factory radio is more integrated into the dash and car functionality. I just added a Soundstream mono amp and attempted to do so by cutting the factory wire going to sub, and running a 4 conductor wire to the amp location under the passenger seat---2 conductors to carry the signal to the amp under the seat, and 2 conductors to return the amplified signal to the RF sub in the factory enclosure.

Enter the roaring ANC. When I turned it on, it roared with a steady LF hum. I disconnected the amp and now there is NO subwoofer output and it's not even adjustable on the factory deck!! I navigate to the sound settings, and I can even navigate to the 'Subwoofer' level bar, but it doesn't allow me to adjust it! It doesn't even have an indicator for where the Sub out put is (to the right or left of 'center'). Any ideas guys? Would really appreciate any help.
Mike,
I am looking to add a small aftermarket amp to give my stock sub ('16 Touring) a little more umph but am worried about the whole ANC issue. Does your Soundstream mono amp accept speaker-level (high-level) inputs? or, did you have to use rca adapters? Thanks

Thank you for creating this life-saving post. For the rear, after you take out the dome light fixture you can just reach over the hard black foam thing, grab the plug, pull it (fairly firmly) towards you and then just unplug it.

Have not tested this method (don't even know how I would), but I'm shocked this hasn't been mentioned. You can cut ANC mic wires on a connector by popping a single panel off. By far the easiest method. If you're doing any project, I'd highly reccomend getting a 1- or 30-day pass to Service Express. Insanely helpful. Necessary PDFs attached.

Attachments

Thank you everyone for your information. reviewed this entire thread for a week now. I purc a 2013 Pilot EX-L upgrading from the original 2003 Pilot gold edition. i did my own work for door speaker install on 03 and thought I could do the same for the ‘13. Not the same at all.

door frame cutout holes are designed specifically to prevent aftermarket upgrades. The pioneer speakers worked as they had a speaker under frame which allowed the speakers to fit just barely. But the Rockfords kept hitting those two extra metal jut outs. Anyway after only adding new speakers I was excited because all sounded great. Then I drove and the speaker noise from the Eco mode came through the speakers. ANC strikes again. So I thought well before I deactivate the ANC I would check settings on the head unit. Nope that wasn’t it. So I did exactly what was provided in this thread and it worked.
‘’what did I do differently?
1. In The rear ANC unit I did as another poster did and knowing where the green connector should located I simply squeezed my fingers under the connector and pushed up to the roof And pulled it to me. I used a screwdriver and pushed on the tab and popped the connection.

2. Front unit. Someone previously said the EX-L non-nav did not have the ANC box. I can confirm the EX-L non nav with moon roof does have the black box. It is to the left of the moon roof black box. The inside of the ANC black box had two sets of mic wires, red and black and white and black. White is to the Bluetooth mic. DO NOT CUT. The red is the ANC. Cut the RED wire. All done. So just to add speakers this procedure does work. Fortunately I am also adding two amps. One for the four door speakers and an all in one sub box from pioneer. Will post picks and video links later.

If you buy speakers from Crutchfield, they include the plastic mounting ring adapters.

What I did (unfortunately no pics of that)
Bought two pairs of Focal ISC-165 speakers from Crutchfield.
For each door:
Removed door interior panel.
Removed factory speaker.
Fished new 14 AWG speaker wire routed to amp location under passenger seat..
Crimped on speaker connectors
Stuck a Hush Mat to the inside of the outer door wall behind the speaker. location.
Mounted the provided plastic ring adapter.
Used pliers to bend the two metal jut-outs into the door a bit.
Stuck another HushMat over the ring, crimped the outer section around he ring and to the door metal to form a baffle.
Cut the HushMat inside the ring in a star pattern and folded it in.
Marked out and drilled the holes for mounting crews (they had to go through both plastic ring and door metal)
Connected and mounted the new speaker.
Rotated speaker tweeter towards driver head location.
Replaced door panel.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.