Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sometimes someone just can't make people happy or satisfied.
If you had a way to place a switch in the circuit it could be toggled that way using a standard toggle switch instead of the pilot's built-in momentary switch. I just wanted to maintain the factory look but I suppose you could hide a toggle switch somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Auto Idle Stop Malfunction

My Honda Pilot Elite with 20,000 miles started having a problem with the auto idle stop system approximately one year ago. It started with the radio cutting out when the vehicle went from idle stop to the engine kicking on. As time went on, the problem became more frequent and the vehicle started to struggle with the engine start up. Approximately four months ago, the vehicle started "stalling" when I pressed the gas peddle and a message appeared to "put vehicle in park and press the start button". I took the vehicle into Honda and showed them several videos of the dash warning lights and messages when the engine would stall. They said it was a "software adjustment" and said they fixed the problem. The vehicle worked for a couple of days and then the radio started cutting out and the vehicle struggled to start after pressing the gas peddle. After another month, the vehicle started "stalling" when the gas was pressed. Very dangerous when in a turning lane and your vehicle stalls. Many honks from drivers behind me when this happens. I have made several additional videos of the dash as this happens and will take the Pilot in for the second time and see what they say.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does anyone know how to prevent the dash light from coming on? That thing is as annoying as the auto stop function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
To answer your question, yes the light on the dash should light up each time the pilot is started if this is performed correctly. I believe you may have seen that result because the yellow wire is grounded when not pressed therefore the 12v high trigger may not have been seen by simply using a jumper. I suppose you could put a switch on the yellow wire but that would require cutting it, and I was looking to cause as little damage as possible and wanted a solution that was reversible.
I still couldn't get this to work on my 2017. I finally figured out how to unclip the pin for the yellow wire, stuck it in the green wire slot, and it wouldn't turn it off (Auto StoptStart) unless I jiggled the yellow wire back in forth to make contact and then it would turn it off. But I would try restarting the Pilot and it was still back on until I jiggled the wire again. So we'll just keep pressing the factory button for now to turn it off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Honda Pilot Elite with 20,000 miles started having a problem with the auto idle stop system approximately one year ago. It started with the radio cutting out when the vehicle went from idle stop to the engine kicking on. As time went on, the problem became more frequent and the vehicle started to struggle with the engine start up. Approximately four months ago, the vehicle started "stalling" when I pressed the gas peddle and a message appeared to "put vehicle in park and press the start button". I took the vehicle into Honda and showed them several videos of the dash warning lights and messages when the engine would stall. They said it was a "software adjustment" and said they fixed the problem. The vehicle worked for a couple of days and then the radio started cutting out and the vehicle struggled to start after pressing the gas peddle. After another month, the vehicle started "stalling" when the gas was pressed. Very dangerous when in a turning lane and your vehicle stalls. Many honks from drivers behind me when this happens. I have made several additional videos of the dash as this happens and will take the Pilot in for the second time and see what they say.
Let us know what the dealer says this time. We've corresponded about this issue in the other thread. I just posted in that thread because they replaced the battery in our car today after it needed to be jump started twice this weekend and registered as failing when they tested it this morning. The next step is to send the car to the body shop to repair some front end damage. Dealer speculated that maybe the damage was affecting the hood because an open hood is one of the conditions where engine restart is disabled after auto idle stop. So will see if still have the idle stop problem after they've replaced the battery and fixed the front end damage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I still couldn't get this to work on my 2017. I finally figured out how to unclip the pin for the yellow wire, stuck it in the green wire slot, and it wouldn't turn it off (Auto StoptStart) unless I jiggled the yellow wire back in forth to make contact and then it would turn it off. But I would try restarting the Pilot and it was still back on until I jiggled the wire again. So we'll just keep pressing the factory button for now to turn it off.
Sounds like it might not be making great contact...then again yours is a 2017, it may be a little different than my 2016. I would think that they would not change the design. Don't give up hope, I think there is a solution for you, you may need to get a multi-meter out and test it a bit. If you have one then I would double check that the GREEN wire is constant 12v and that the YELLOW wire is only 12v when pressed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Picture attempt # 2

I dont know why so many can't see my pictures. But here let me try from a hosted site.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Thanks for posting, now I know which years to avoid buying in the future!
Increased wear on the starter in a used vehicle is not welcome here fore sure.
This and 2018 model being butt ugly on the outside and cheapo on the inside means no 2016+ Pilots for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any fix for this problem.

Quick note on why I did this:
She was very upset after the engine auto stop feature turned the car off while she was in traffic. That’s not the issue, the problem was that the “START” function of the Auto Stop didn’t work!! It tried but then all power to the vehicle turned off. She then had to quickly shift into park, place foot on brake, push the start button, and shift back in drive while everyone behind her was honking and peeling out around her.

I too have have this same problem with my 2016 pilot Elite not restarting after auto-idling. At first, it just started making an electric popping noise when restarting. Then, I started noticing that the air conditioning/radio would briefly flilcker off when it was restarting. Then on several occasions, the car has completely refused to restart - taking 20 seconds or so until finally the Start Engine button would work again.
After the first time that happened, I got the habit of automatically turning the feature off when I got in the car as it was a scary experience on a busy road.
However, I have sometimes forgotten to turn off the feature, and its happened again.
I brought it to the dealership, and they really didn't give me an adequate answer about what happened.
They said it was a "voltage issue" and that even though my battery was reading fine, they charged it and then the problem stopped. But this solution only worked for about 24 hours and now it is worse than before.
Has anyone who experienced this same problem found a resolution to fix the problem of it not restarting?

The dealership, like several who commented here, seemed to imply this was more of an inconvenience than a safety issue. I'd argue its a major safety issue if your car literally refuses to restart after idling at a stop sign or stop light or, as in the case of this morning, when trying to turn out of parking lot onto a busy road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too have have this same problem with my 2016 pilot Elite not restarting after auto-idling. At first, it just started making an electric popping noise when restarting. Then, I started noticing that the air conditioning/radio would briefly flilcker off when it was restarting. Then on several occasions, the car has completely refused to restart - taking 20 seconds or so until finally the Start Engine button would work again.
After the first time that happened, I got the habit of automatically turning the feature off when I got in the car as it was a scary experience on a busy road.
However, I have sometimes forgotten to turn off the feature, and its happened again.
I brought it to the dealership, and they really didn't give me an adequate answer about what happened.
They said it was a "voltage issue" and that even though my battery was reading fine, they charged it and then the problem stopped. But this solution only worked for about 24 hours and now it is worse than before.
Has anyone who experienced this same problem found a resolution to fix the problem of it not restarting?

The dealership, like several who commented here, seemed to imply this was more of an inconvenience than a safety issue. I'd argue its a major safety issue if your car literally refuses to restart after idling at a stop sign or stop light or, as in the case of this morning, when trying to turn out of parking lot onto a busy road.
This has happened to my 2016 Pilot Touring. I've posted about it another thread "Elite shuts off at stop light." Dealer has not been able to replicate it or find anything wrong on car that they could fix. I also had emission system problem warning light and they replaced fuel injector, but dealer doesn't think that has anything to do with idle stop not restarting.

This past weekend, the car had to be jump started twice because it wouldn't start. This was different than the idle stop restart problem. It failed to start when I first got into the car and attempted to start it. The dealer replaced the battery and said maybe that might fix the idle stop problem. The other thing they suggested was to fix some minor front end damage to the car because one of the reasons the engine will not restart after auto idle stop is if the hood is open. Dealer suggested maybe front end damage was affecting the hood and that's why car wouldn't restart sometimes. The car is at the body shop right now to fix that. But won't know if problem is fixed until get car back and start driving around.

I agree it is a major safety issue. American Honda has been unresponsive so far. They told me next time it happens, do not attempt to restart car but call roadside assistance and have the car towed to the dealer so the dealer can examine the car in that exact state. Last message I got from American Honda they said they spoke to dealer and I needed to get the front end damage fixed before they could assist me with the idle stop problem.

You can submit a complaint to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NHTSA at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You've got a lemon, folks. Treat them as such and follow all the proper process for reporting a lemon which you can google. Record all conversations, do all the paperwork, as otherwise Honda will continue screwing up more and more of us with these unwanted and harmful "features" shoved down our throats. Honda's conduct has become outright criminal as of lately.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like it might not be making great contact...then again yours is a 2017, it may be a little different than my 2016. I would think that they would not change the design. Don't give up hope, I think there is a solution for you, you may need to get a multi-meter out and test it a bit. If you have one then I would double check that the GREEN wire is constant 12v and that the YELLOW wire is only 12v when pressed.
The harness wires/colors are exactly the same on my 2017. Pulled out the mutli-meter. The Yellow wire only briefly spikes up near 12v when the button is pressed but goes right back to 0, it doesn't stay at 12v. So it makes sense to me now why it's not working on my 2017, just when I touch the wires together it (which is like pressing the button) will turn off the Auto Stop Start, but it won't stay permanently off. So I'm done, will just keep pressing the factory button every time we start the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You've got a lemon, folks. Treat them as such and follow all the proper process for reporting a lemon which you can google. Record all conversations, do all the paperwork, as otherwise Honda will continue screwing up more and more of us with these unwanted and harmful "features" shoved down our throats. Honda's conduct has become outright criminal as of lately.
Lemon laws may depend on the state in which the car is registered. Maryland's lemon law applies only to cars registered in MD, driven less than 18,000 miles and owned less than 24 months. I did not have the idle stop engine restart problem until after that point. In Virginia, it's 18 months after the date of the original delivery to the consumer of a new motor vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disable Auto Stop function

Just bought a new 2017 Touring (leftover). Did a lot of research on the auto stop and found the following; if you want to disable the auto stop without having to push the button on the console each time you start the car, do the following: With the engine OFF, open the hood. Start the car. With the engine running, close the hood. The auto stop function will not activate. You will need to do this with each remote fob. To turn auto start on so it can be controlled by the button on the console do the following: With the car running, OPEN the hood. Turn off the engine. Close the hood. Auto stop now works as it should. Sounds strange but I've tried it and it works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just bought a new 2017 Touring (leftover). Did a lot of research on the auto stop and found the following; if you want to disable the auto stop without having to push the button on the console each time you start the car, do the following: With the engine OFF, open the hood. Start the car. With the engine running, close the hood. The auto stop function will not activate. You will need to do this with each remote fob. To turn auto start on so it can be controlled by the button on the console do the following: With the car running, OPEN the hood. Turn off the engine. Close the hood. Auto stop now works as it should. Sounds strange but I've tried it and it works.
At first I thought this was some kind of scam/joke so I was waiting for others to try it. Figured they'd get fired up and have a "jokes on me" kind of day. Anyway, the process seemed relatively benign so I thought I'd give it a shot. Whelp...it worked! But only temporarily. As soon as I shut the car off and start it back up (next day), the auto-stop feature is re-enabled (have to hit the dumb button and have that orange light show up on the dash). I'll note that I only did it on the one key fob I use for the car. And I'm not sure why I would have to do the same thing for the other key fob if I never use it. I've got a 2018 AWD Touring so maybe the 2017s have some older firmware that allows this to hold on a permanent basis. But I do find this perplexing because I'd expect this might happen every time you change your oil or do anything under the hood (that being the auto-stop is permanently disabled because you started the car with the hood open and then shut the hood). I'd imagine there would be a million service calls on someone's auto-stop feature not working after they take it to Jiffy Lube or wherever they might go where you just drive it out of the bay.

This all being said, I think you still might be on to something here. For whatever reason, the auto-stop feature is disabled by opening the hood, starting the engine and then closing the hood. When this occurs, the orange light doesn't show on the dash either. This means that there must be some electrical trigger related to the hood latch that triggers the auto-stop feature to be disabled. So, if you can get your "Hood Open" warning to temporarily trip each time you start the Pilot, you might be able to permanently disable the auto-stop feature and not have that annoying light show up on the dash (if not for this dumb light, I'd have no problem pushing the button every time).

·
Registered
414 Posts

OK, please bare with me on this one. When you state that you need to do this procedure with both fobs, do you mean that you are starting the engine with both key fobs remotely or that you are starting the engine with the dash push button while having the key fob on your person? TIA

Well, curiosity got this old cat cuz I couldn't wait around for an answer. Just like slaroche, I figured someone was laughing their butt off at me, but oh well, it wouldn't be the first time... I tried out this simple procedure without using the remote start on the fobs. So far it's working great. We took Yoda out for a short drive and so far no auto stop at any of our stops. Turning the engine off & back on several times didn't change the setting either. Pushing the auto stop switch on the console still brings up the disable, enable message on the dash but it doesn't change anything. No more distracting yellow light on the dash just to have the auto stop disabled. My hat's off to whoever figured out this simple procedure. Thank you!

21 - 40 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
138 Replies
77 Participants
Rocky
Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
Piloteers.org forum community offers tech info, troubleshooting, modification DIY’s and discussion for the Honda Pilot SUV.
Full Forum Listing