Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
You absolutely Rock! AUTO-STALL is the most annoying feature that car makers are forcing on their customers. At best its annoying, at worst its outright dangerous. No to mention wear and tear on the engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are also having an issue with our pilot stalling after the "auto-shutoff" engages. Sometimes it restarts quickly with a push of the "Start" button but it has recently required several minutes to restart. It has been very dangerous since it has occurred in busy intersections. I took it to the dealer last week and they didn't find anything. I will be returning to the dealer this week to see if they can replicate the behavior.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Class Action Lawsuit?

This is a post of mine from another thread about the same problem. Why should we have to mess around with our new cars? We did not buy a used junker where you would figure you might have to monkey around with it, this is a new, ok almost new, reasonably expensive car!

I have had my 2016 Touring in the shop since last Monday! This is my second visit for this problem! When I got it there I told him again, not only does my Pilot stall when I stop and the automatic idle shut down kicks in, it now takes 3-4 pushes of the start button for the engine to start. "Luckily", he got in and tried to start it and it would not start.

I have not had a call from them the entire week saying they have found what the problem was and that they fixed it. From everyones post on this thread and other threads about this problem here, not one person had had their Pilot fixed that had this problem!

I have contacted a Lemon Law lawyer since I live in California. What would you all think of a class action lawsuit? This problem is a dangerous one. Imagine you are stopped and you see a car/truck coming at you and you want to step on the gas and get out of there! The car stalls! A bit far fetched, but imagine there is a traffic jam and you end up on railroad tracks and can't start the car without going through the whole routine of putting it in park, putting your foot on the brake and pressing start again, which in my case may take longer since it does not always start with that push. Not Ok and I think there might be many more scenarios that could happen where you would need to get out of a situation fast, with this problem remains we can't count on the Pilot not stalling.

Any thoughts on a Class Action Lawsuit? My car is 2 ½ years old and I love it, but this is dangerous! And, I for one, do not want to rearrange the wiring in my Pilot. I paid for this feature.

I have a 2016 Touring and about 4 months ago I had my first stahl when the engine was trying to restart. Since then I have had about 50. I took it in and they said they could see that it stalled a few times, but could not reproduce the problem while test driving it. They did a reset on the computer. That did nothing and the problem continues. I now have a problem starting the car also. When I push the start button, most of the times the car starts, but many times now the dash lights come on, but no engine start. I have to push it 3-4 times to get it to start. What kind of system did they install in our cars that is already going south? I am taking it in on Monday and leaving it for the week. I will let you know the results, but from the look of this thread they cannot figure it out, or do not want to tell us what the real problem is. This sucks and is dangerous!

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK, please bare with me on this one. When you state that you need to do this procedure with both fobs, do you mean that you are starting the engine with both key fobs remotely or that you are starting the engine with the dash push button while having the key fob on your person? TIA

Well, curiosity got this old cat cuz I couldn't wait around for an answer. Just like slaroche, I figured someone was laughing their butt off at me, but oh well, it wouldn't be the first time... I tried out this simple procedure without using the remote start on the fobs. So far it's working great. We took Yoda out for a short drive and so far no auto stop at any of our stops. Turning the engine off & back on several times didn't change the setting either. Pushing the auto stop switch on the console still brings up the disable, enable message on the dash but it doesn't change anything. No more distracting yellow light on the dash just to have the auto stop disabled. My hat's off to whoever figured out this simple procedure. Thank you!
Yoda. Any chance you can provide the exact steps and whether you did it with both key fobs? I'm wondering if both key fobs need to be in the car at the same time when you execute the steps. Like I said, I did this with only one key fob and it reset itself when I turned the car off and back on the next time. I'm wondering if this is a "fix" they made to the 2018s.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Auto Stop has generally never worked consistently. It worked when I bought the car, but a month or two later it stopped turning off automatically at a stop. While I got used to it stopping/starting, I didn’t mind the engine running so I never brought the issue up. Every time I brought the car in for service though, it seems to reset itself and starts operating again. So there may be something to this hood reset. Next oil change I’ll have to see if I can manually disable it instead of living with it operational for a month or so. Makes me wonder if the hood sensor may have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yoda. Any chance you can provide the exact steps and whether you did it with both key fobs? I'm wondering if both key fobs need to be in the car at the same time when you execute the steps. Like I said, I did this with only one key fob and it reset itself when I turned the car off and back on the next time. I'm wondering if this is a "fix" they made to the 2018s.
Yup, happy to oblige.

1. With key fob #1 in my pocket, I opened the hood.

2. Then I got in the Pilot & started it with the pushbutton on the dash.

3. Next step was to get out & close the hood.

4. Last step was to get back in the pilot and shut the engine off with the pushbutton on the dash.

I then took key fob #1 back in the house & brought out key fob #2 and repeated the 4 steps. I don't know if it would work to have both key fobs in your pocket or laying on the console and do it in just 4 steps or not. I'm just pleased as punch that it worked doing it this way. :grin:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
What is the probability that someone would repeat these steps or the steps to turn it back on without knowing what they are doing? These are almost exactly the steps I perform when checking something under the hood. The world seems to have completely gone off the rollers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried this on my 17 elite and no joy. It works until the car is restarted. It was nice not to have the yellow light on the dash. Tried both keys in the exact method from Yoda.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can I just say that this sucks having to go through these hoops on a new car just so your car won't stall and possibly put you in a very bad situation?

My car has been in the shop since a week ago Monday, 11 days, and no word on them fixing the issue!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Failure...

Well after several hundred miles the autostop started working again. I will reset it, but I'm guessing it will eventually go back to normal. Rats...:frown:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Been a while since I’ve been in this forum, wife traded our Pilot in for a CR-V, and now wants to go back.

Not sure if it will work the same or not, but on the Chevy Silverado (with Auto-Stop), if you put the transmission in the “Manual” position, Auto-Stop will not work, thus engine will stay running. My theory is...put the Pilot’s transmission in a similar mode. On the Silverado, there’s P, R, N, D, & M. If the Pilot has a similar selection, make sure to leave it in the high gear. Can’t remember if the Pilot has anything past D. Maybe put it in Sport mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just so people know this is not my fix my fix was just to simply remove the yellow wire. Not to put it into the slot with the green wire which could possibly short the system. I did my research and found that disconnecting the yellow wire from the connector would permanently turn off the idle stop with no warning lights because it just causes a permanent open in the system which tricks the computer into thinking that idle stop was just turned off. I have not done a ton of testing with this but I have not heard back from customer I helped and did not see a single warning light or any issues what so ever while testing. I only tried this with a nine speed push button shift pilot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
what is the long-term damage to the engine

what this video didn't tell you is what is the long-term damage to the engine if it starts and off every 30 seconds, that is 120 time in the morning and 120 times in the afternoon, I from Boston, traffic is bad here.

41 - 60 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.