Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have great news to report too. I was at my local honda dealership with the copy of the service bulletin and they replaced the button for free. Its been 4 days and not one warning light and started on first press each time. Just prior to bringing it in, I would have to press start several times. Thanks for all who reported it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have great news to report too. I was at my local honda dealership with the copy of the service bulletin and they replaced the button for free. Its been 4 days and not one warning light and started on first press each time. Just prior to bringing it in, I would have to press start several times. Thanks for all who reported it.
Hurray! Thanks for the report. And chalk up a WIN for Honda owners keeping the communication/ feedback going!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been interesting reading all the chatter in this feed.
I drive a Honda City (2015) and today experienced the same problem for the first time. I had turned off the engine while my transmission lever was on 'N' so I could continue listening to the radio with the engine off. I had then moved the lever to 'P' to restart. And that's when the light came on. I wondered if I restarted the engine in the mode in which I had stopped it it would solved the problem. So I moved the lever to 'N' again and restarted the engine. The light went off. Which means that the onboard computer remembers that there was an occasion when the engine was shut down while the lever was on 'N' which is not recommended and had then triggered the warning light. I had to go back to the same scenario to restart so that the 'offence' could be corrected. Wonder if it works for the rest having this problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder what Honda will do for all those people who purchased a replacement button on their own prior to the service bulletin...

Reimburse or SOL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I wonder what Honda will do for all those people who purchased a replacement button on their own prior to the service bulletin...

Reimburse or SOL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wonder why they waited so long to put out the bulletin.
I am not even sure if Honda Canada is honouring the SB.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just spoke to a very nice lady at West City Honda in Belleville a she mentioned to me that Honda will reimburse me the cost of the new Start/stop button which was about $145CDN as long as I had the receipt. And they are honouring the Service Bulletin just like in the US so that is good news.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just joined this forum to report this terrible issue. I drive a 2016 Pilot EX which started displaying the "Keyless Start System Problem" message half a year ago at least. Two weeks ago or so I drove to a Honda Service and mentioned the Service bulletin 20-117 and my issue. The service manager said no problem, but then he came back and said that they did a VIN check and they didn't get a match for my vehicle, and so the Service Bulletin does not apply to my vehicle. I drove to another Honda dealer 30 miles away and they didn't even do a VIN check, but instead said that I should drop off the vehicle early in the early morning for diagnostics before even promising to fix anything or waive the diagnostics fee.

WHAT'S going on? How many hundreds of miles, and hours of my time I should waste to have this trivial issue fixed? Why so much red tape?

·
Registered
868 Posts
So I just joined this forum to report this terrible issue. I drive a 2016 Pilot EX which started displaying the "Keyless Start System Problem" message half a year ago at least. Two weeks ago or so I drove to a Honda Service and mentioned the Service bulletin 20-117 and my issue. The service manager said no problem, but then he came back and said that they did a VIN check and they didn't get a match for my vehicle, and so the Service Bulletin does not apply to my vehicle. I drove to another Honda dealer 30 miles away and they didn't even do a VIN check, but instead said that I should drop off the vehicle early in the early morning for diagnostics before even promising to fix anything or waive the diagnostics fee.

WHAT'S going on? How many hundreds of miles, and hours of my time I should waste to have this trivial issue fixed? Why so much red tape?
I would have thought that all 2016's would have been covered by that SB. It is an easy job to replace the switch anyway and you may just want to DIY if you are not covered. The switch probably costs less than the diagnostic fee that the dealership is going to charge you.
Did you purchase the vehicle new or used? They do a VIN number check to see if it had a salvage title in which case you are not covered.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Hundreds of miles and hours of your time?!? Heck no. The last that I checked on eBay, brand new part (35881-TG7-A04) shipped to your door was less than $70. And if you search for the TSB, it has instructions. It looks like you don't even need any tools!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hundreds of miles and hours of your time?!? Heck no. The last that I checked on eBay, brand new part (35881-TG7-A04) shipped to your door was less than $70. And if you search for the TSB, it has instructions. It looks like you don't even need any tools!
Agreed, and all you need is a Phillip's screwdriver. It took me less than 15 mins to swap mine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
By the way, just had the button replaced in our 17 EX-L with 65k. Under the extended warranty as per the TSB so no charge. The error only appeared twice and we didn't have any issues starting or shutting it off. But the walk away auto-lock did stop working. It now works since the button was replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 38000 miles on a 2016 Pilot EX-L. I recently began getting a Keyless Start System Problem error message in the instrument cluster. I have tried both fobs and I have checked all of the fuses. Problem still persists. I tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so. The problem went away for about a day, but came back. Wondering what else to try before taking to the dealer. Thanks in advance.
I have Pilot - Ex L - 2016, 50,000km and got same message since 2019. So worried about that. Did not know what should I do.

Happy news that today I got a letter from Honda that they extended warranty : Keyless Engine Start/Stop Switch 9 years from initial vehicle registration with limit of 200,000km.

I will take it to dealer at next Saturday. Let see what they will do. I will update the status.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have Pilot - Ex L - 2016, 50,000km and got same message since 2019. So worried about that. Did not know what should I do.

Happy news that today I got a letter from Honda that they extended warranty : Keyless Engine Start/Stop Switch 9 years from initial vehicle registration with limit of 200,000km.

I will take it to dealer at next Saturday. Let see what they will do. I will update the status.
That's great news. I was also reimbursed the cost of the new button as I had changed it out prior to the warranty extension.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Today Dealer changed the Keyless Engine Start/Stop Switch under that warranty. Let see how long it will work.

But still walk away door lock not working.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My walk away lock returned to normal after the switch was replaced. Did you check the vehicle settings to make sure that it is enabled. It should beep once when all the doors are closed and the keyfob is with you, and then beep once again when the lock activates. If it beeps several times, then it will not lock when you walk away unless you press the remote lock button. Every once in a while mine will act up and you just have to open and close the drivers door again to get the single beep. Easier just to press the remote though. It is important to listen for that single beep to ensure it gets locked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Today Dealer changed the Keyless Engine Start/Stop Switch under that warranty. Let see how long it will work.

But still walk away door lock not working.
Walk away door lock should work - make sure you’ve enabled it in the features. If it still doesn’t work , take it back and ask them to fix it.
I specifically told the dealer to make sure that was fixed when the button was replaced. When I got my car back at the dealer, I tested the walk-away feature before I left and found it didn’t work. I had to go get the mechanic again and show him. He thought it was working when he gave it to me, and was surprised it didn’t work. He had to go reset something and retest. I got it back within 15 more minutes and it’s been working ever since.
Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Has anyone been able to have the push button replaced under warranty in Canada? My 2016 has been showing error message on and off. Wishful thinking that it might fix itself.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Good news. Was this done in Canada?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Good news. Was this done in Canada?
When I had my injectors replaced at West City Honda in Belleville at Hondas expense, they mentioned the start/stop button. I had purchased a new button from them back in July and replaced it myself but fortunately I still had the receipt and they refunded me the cost of the part so Honda Canada is definitely covering this repair.

161 - 180 of 195 Posts