Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
When you think of the wear and tear on that start/stop button over the course of 4-5 years especially if you are doing a lot of short trips during each day, it is not unreasonable to see it fail. It was a cheap diy repair and not a safety issue as far as I was concerned. It is also possible that some owners are pressing the button and holding it in until the engine starts which would cause issues. All that is needed is a one second press on that button to engage the start or stop cycle.
Ridiculous excuse! This button should work for the life of the car. Max presses probably a fraction of what other pushbuttons get per day! We have push buttons in applications EVERYWHERE in our world. Think of television remote controls... these get pushed and abused and last for years! Elevators, microwaves, toasters, yada... yada.....

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Ridiculous excuse! This button should work for the life of the car. Max presses probably a fraction of what other pushbuttons get per day! We have push buttons in applications EVERYWHERE in our world. Think of television remote controls... these get pushed and abused and last for years! Elevators, microwaves, toasters, yada... yada.....
The only thing that I find ridiculous is the price that some of these dealerships are charging for a 5 min job to replace a switch. Also if you take one of those switches apart, you will see that it is a very complex component and not just a simple pushbutton like you would see on other electronic devices. Cars today are getting way too complicated with gadgets and electronic components and as a result you are going to have more failures and I don't think it is just Hondas being affected so I am sure that if you check other auto forums you will see similar issues there too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only thing that I find ridiculous is the price that some of these dealerships are charging for a 5 min job to replace a switch. Also if you take one of those switches apart, you will see that it is a very complex component and not just a simple pushbutton like you would see on other electronic devices. Cars today are getting way too complicated with gadgets and electronic components and as a result you are going to have more failures and I don't think it is just Hondas being affected so I am sure that if you check other auto forums you will see similar issues there too.
If I put a new Start/stop button in does it have to be reprogramed with the fob?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was able to fix the KEYLESS START SYSTEM PROBLEM by replacing p/n 35881-TG7-702. It only cost $71 including shipping.

I made a video in case you need instructions on how to perform this fix. Youtube link here:
I have a local mechanic wiling to replace button. Do you have to have the push button and fob reprogrammed?

·
Registered
868 Posts
If I put a new Start/stop button in does it have to be reprogramed with the fob?
I replaced mine with the genuine Honda part and there was no need to reprogram. All the functions including remote start and lock worked fine afterwards. I didn't even disconnect the battery as it is a quick connection plug on the back of the switch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the start/stop button is replaced do you have to have it reset with the fob?
From what I can tell from other posts, no. But be sure to buy a Honda OEM part.
Also I have only seen very few of these available in stock and local Honda dealer said they are back-ordered. You may still find on online at a Honda dealer.
I ordered one yesterday and will replace next week. I’ll post my experience.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Just saw there is an extended warranty of 9 years/125000 miles covering the start/stop button on 2016-2017 Pilots and some other Honda models. Issued 12/9/2020

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honda is FINALLY covering this problem! I had a mechanic friend pull this up!
Note also the switch part number is rev’ed to 35881-TG7-A04
This is Honda Service bulletin 20-117 Issued December 9, 2020 “Warranty extension: 2016-17 Pilot and Ridgeline keyless start system error with DTC B1C5”

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 2016 EX-L started doing this. Purchased new in July 2016, a little over 40k miles. Will try to get dealer to swap under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Son of a gun. I pushed the start stop hard with my thumb and the error went away. Could the connector just have started to vibrate loose or something?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Son of a gun. I pushed the start stop hard with my thumb and the error went away. Could the connector just have started to vibrate loose or something?
It will happen more frequently as time goes by so when it happens again, take it in to the dealer for warranty. You should have a B12C5 error code stored which will show when the car is scanned.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks. I will mention it when I bring it in for my next oil change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We started having the same problem with our 2017 Elite the other day, and I just read through this entire thread of 158 posts. You should have heard me happily yell out when 95% of the way through reading, several people posted about Honda's ESB a week ago to fix the problem! As always, thanks to everyone to contributes to these forums for all their help and advice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is Honda Service bulletin 20-117 Issued December 9, 2020 “Warranty extension: 2016-17 Pilot and Ridgeline keyless start system error with DTC B1C5”
Well Piloteers, success! The dealership covered the replacement on/off button !
“Keyless start problem” error is now gone! Walk-away auto-lock now works!
.... best part ... free
Thanks for all who have pushed and reported on this issue...

141 - 160 of 195 Posts