Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 38000 miles on a 2016 Pilot EX-L. I recently began getting a Keyless Start System Problem error message in the instrument cluster. I have tried both fobs and I have checked all of the fuses. Problem still persists. I tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so. The problem went away for about a day, but came back. Wondering what else to try before taking to the dealer. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife's pilot just started this today. Any final Fixes?
She has 69k but 100k 5 year warranty that is up in August. I don't want this to go on for 6 months.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
My wife's pilot just started this today. Any final Fixes?
She has 69k but 100k 5 year warranty that is up in August. I don't want this to go on for 6 months.
There is a service bulletin covering this issue for 16 and 17 Pilots and an extended warranty so you will be covered when you go to the dealer for the pushbutton replacement even if your normal warranty is up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check here for the TSB/Extended Warranty. Print it out and take it straight to the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone I know how I can see if my car has registered that specific code before taking it to the dealership? I’m having the same issue, and when I tried to get it fixed under the tsb, they told me that if it didn’t have that specific code, I would be charged $150 for the diagnostic fee. I don’t have a spare $150 to pay for nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Does anyone I know how I can see if my car has registered that specific code before taking it to the dealership? I’m having the same issue, and when I tried to get it fixed under the tsb, they told me that if it didn’t have that specific code, I would be charged $150 for the diagnostic fee. I don’t have a spare $150 to pay for nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You will need a scanner and I know that my Bluedriver scanner will read the B codes for Honda. It costs around $100 but I don't know if the cheaper BT scanners will read all the codes. The error code you are looking for is the B12C5 to qualify for the repairs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You will need a scanner and I know that my Bluedriver scanner will read the B codes for Honda. It costs around $100 but I don't know if the cheaper BT scanners will read all the codes. The error code you are looking for is the B12C5 to qualify for the repairs.
Are you happy with the bluedriver? If it reads all I'm going to need it to with my Honda (and it looks like it will read Toyota and others as well), I will def invest in it. :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Are you happy with the bluedriver? If it reads all I'm going to need it to with my Honda (and it looks like it will read Toyota and others as well), I will def invest in it. :)
Very happy with it. It reads all the codes that I need and works well with my Android tablet without the need to purchase an app. The only drawback is that it will not read transmission fluid temp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine Got Worse

I had the same problem. I replaced the battery in the key fob and the message went away for one day. The next day EVERY trouble light came on... Key-less remote system trouble, Power Steering system trouble, traction control system trouble, Uphill parking assist system trouble, Trailer hitch connection system trouble (I don't even have the last two features but they are having trouble), Life support system failing, Warp core system trouble, Landing gear won't come down... You name it.

Pilot has been in the shop for 3 days now. No definite explanation as to what is wrong yet.
Haha😂

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a dumb question. My 16 pilot has been getting this error message on and off for as long as I can remember. It seems to have increased lately. What's the likelihood that this is going to cause a real problem with the car starting vs. just being some sort of technological glitch? I am leaving for a trip and now scared to drive it. However, like I said, I've been driving it for a very long time with the error showing up intermittently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a dumb question. My 16 pilot has been getting this error message on and off for as long as I can remember. It seems to have increased lately. What's the likelihood that this is going to cause a real problem with the car starting vs. just being some sort of technological glitch? I am leaving for a trip and now scared to drive it. However, like I said, I've been driving it for a very long time with the error showing up intermittently.
The most trouble I had before getting the button replaced (yesterday actually) was that I had to hold the key fob against the button for it to start. I, like you, just let mine go for a long time, but once it started doing that, I was afraid I would be on a camping trip in the woods with my kids and my car wouldn't start because of this error, so I decided to get it fixed when I had the chance. I would think that you would be fine for your trip, but to be on the safe side, I would get it replaced when you get back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The most trouble I had before getting the button replaced (yesterday actually) was that I had to hold the key fob against the button for it to start. I, like you, just let mine go for a long time, but once it started doing that, I was afraid I would be on a camping trip in the woods with my kids and my car wouldn't start because of this error, so I decided to get it fixed when I had the chance. I would think that you would be fine for your trip, but to be on the safe side, I would get it replaced when you get back.
Thank you for the reply!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took my 2016 Honda Pilot (65,000 miles) in today with the error message. The start button was replaced at no charge. I was told there is an extended warranty in place for this fix. Everything is now working correctly again including the automatic walk away lock feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same issue with the keyless starting issues for more than 4months and i think it has something to do with the foot brake.
This might work if you guys wanted to try. Before you turn off the engine press the foot brake or parking brake, give it a least 30 seconds to reset and then start the engine again, see if the message go away.. Its been a week now and message has not come back yet. Hope this solves your problem too.
Had same issue and worked for our 2016 Pilot Touring! Thanks for posting!

181 - 195 of 195 Posts