Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alternative parts are everywere... but are good all the time? For a little more
you buy original and you have peace of mind... Also if the car have 200k or more
buy products to keep it alive... and be ready to go to bone yard to replace some
part...if you like that. Botom Line everybody have choices dictated by the how
much money they want to spend...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Alternative parts are everywere... but are good all the time? For a little more
you buy original and you have peace of mind... Also if the car have 200k or more
buy products to keep it alive... and be ready to go to bone yard to replace some
part...if you like that. Botom Line everybody have choices dictated by the how
much money they want to spend...
I agree with you to a point. I have many aftermarket parts in my Honda's (air filter, oil filter, oil, antifreeze, struts, radiator, cooling fan, ac condenser, hoses, serpentine belt, wiper blades, windshield, battery, light bulbs, tires, brakes, brake fluid, rotors, CV axles) But Honda DW-1 transmission fluid has failed me. In fact, I have drained, filled and drive, repeat, repeat, repeat to get as much of that goop out of my transmission. I have logged over 125k miles on a Honda Crosstour 5 speed on MaxLife ATF. I have a 2017 Pilot 6-speed that I drained black DW-1 ATF out when it was under 20k miles. I blame Honda for a lot of the problem for not installing transmission coolers on these EX-L models. The previous owner obviously went through 2 hot summers doing city streets. The DW-1 broke down. My Pilot is shifting nice and smooth on Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife with no issues. I'm at 23k miles and ready for summer with my OEM transmission cooler installed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You realy have a bad luck. Before change the oil my transmission shake
between the 2nd and 3 rd. After 2 drains, now work smoot and no shaking.
Use the oem oil... new type that replace the old type. Aprox. 90k milles.
Everything OK for now, and use the car only in hot
conditions: Dominican Republic.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You realy have a bad luck. Before change the oil my transmission shake
between the 2nd and 3 rd. After 2 drains, now work smoot and no shaking.
Use the oem oil... new type that replace the old type. Aprox. 90k milles.
Everything OK for now, and use the car only in hot
conditions: Dominican Republic.
Valvoline MaxLife ATF is Full Synthetic. DW-1 is not. MaxLife is only $18 For a 4 quart bottle at Wal-Mart here in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Valvoline MaxLife ATF is Full Synthetic. DW-1 is not. MaxLife is only $18 For a 4 quart bottle at Wal-Mart here in the U.S.A.
And CDN$32.97 at my local Walmarts, +15% taxes. I actually saw these t-shirts for sale at the duty-free shop near the border crossing.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
When it was in short supply here a couple of years ago, I actually picked up a bunch of jugs for cheap south of the border. Some people hoard TP; my garage shelves have enough Maxlife ATF to last me through to the aftertimes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
These discussions about the best oil always go around and around. We have owned our Pilot since new. Serviced at the recommended intervals with Honda spec products. Has 100k on it now and runs like a new car. If Honda or any manufacturer is too stupid or careless to spec poor quality lubricants, time to find a different brand of car. Any anecdotal evidence that one recommended brand (e.g., Mobil vs Valvoline) is better than another, when both products meet the relevant spec, based on a single or handful of experiences is not a sound basis upon which to make a judgment. Particularly with cars bought used, it is far more likely that driving style and maintenance history (or lack thereof) are the drivers of premature failure, noise in the gearbox, etc. This is one of the reasons that while I am a value shopper, I don't buy used cars. Very rare to find one where you are comfortable with the owne, or even known him or her, and the maintenance is documented. Rather than acknowledge this reality, people think there is magic in certain oils. Use a lubricant that meets the manufacturer spec and change it at the recommended interval. Everything else is all noise.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
These discussions about the best oil always go around and around. We have owned our Pilot since new. Serviced at the recommended intervals with Honda spec products. Has 100k on it now and runs like a new car. If Honda or any manufacturer is too stupid or careless to spec poor quality lubricants, time to find a different brand of car. Any anecdotal evidence that one recommended brand (e.g., Mobil vs Valvoline) is better than another, when both products meet the relevant spec, based on a single or handful of experiences is not a sound basis upon which to make a judgment. Particularly with cars bought used, it is far more likely that driving style and maintenance history (or lack thereof) are the drivers of premature failure, noise in the gearbox, etc. This is one of the reasons that while I am a value shopper, I don't buy used cars. Very rare to find one where you are comfortable with the owne, or even known him or her, and the maintenance is documented. Rather than acknowledge this reality, people think there is magic in certain oils. Use a lubricant that meets the manufacturer spec and change it at the recommended interval. Everything else is all noise.
It's quite simple. I've owned more Honda vehicles than I can remember. Being one who prefers to DIY than go to the Stealership, I have the opportunity to actually see the old fluid drained out of my vehicle. Yes, of course Honda Fluid meets Honda specs. Honda Fluid doesn't meet my specs. 😝👎

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'd like to hear from someone who has used Liquid Moly in a Honda. It is a heavier fluid and quite a bit more expensive. If your going to tow a lot, this may be a better choice.

So it's full synthetic approved for DexVI but LiquiMoly recommends it for DW-1... I'd be confident using it in my Traverse but IDK if I'd take the risk on my Pilot. Problem is I'm pretty satisfied with the products I'm using, but I'd wager that the DW-1 listing LiquiMoly is using is the same type of listing MaxLife is using, meaning Valvoline says it will work but Honda hasn't certified it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
So it's full synthetic approved for DexVI but LiquiMoly recommends it for DW-1... I'd be confident using it in my Traverse but IDK if I'd take the risk on my Pilot. Problem is I'm pretty satisfied with the products I'm using, but I'd wager that the DW-1 listing LiquiMoly is using is the same type of listing MaxLife is using, meaning Valvoline says it will work but Honda hasn't certified it.
Yeah, Honda will never certify.
I wouldn't be afraid to use Liqui Moly in my Honda. Viscosity is higher at an index of 165. MaxLife is 156. Looks like good stuff. I am definitely going to be looking at my transmission temps this summer to see how MaxLife is doing in my 6-speed. I would consider Liqui Moly as a next choice. Full Synthetic and a little more viscosity. It sure is pricey.
That Havoline Multi-vehicle ATF viscosity index is 147.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
81 - 100 of 177 Posts