Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 2012 pilot 116k. Pretty sure transmission fluid has not been changed. Going to change ALL fluids in the vehicle. Wondering should I really trust it to amsoil or redline, or go with the original DW-1 Honda (or idemitsu h) fluid. Thoughts experiences. Thanks
Joel

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,494 Posts
I have done a 1x drain and fill with DW-1 every 15k miles. Currently at 116k miles with no issues.

Orhers on this forum swear by Valvoline Maxlife. Personally I think it’s more a function of how often you change it versus what you change it with ( as long as meets or exceeds DW-1 spec).

If you are planning to do a flush check your manual. For 2005 3x drain and fill ( driving a few miles between each one) is a Honda tranny flush.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,494 Posts
And welcome to the forum,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also what about the transfer case oil Hypoid gl5? I don’t know if I trust using non Honda fluid in the tranny as that is a BIG repair if it goes awry. I know the VTM4 has to be Honda as I believe they are the only ones that make it. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also what about the transfer case oil Hypoid gl5? I don’t know if I trust using non Honda fluid in the tranny as that is a BIG repair if it goes awry. I know the VTM4 has to be Honda as I believe they are the only ones that make it. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,434 Posts
My question would be why not use OEM fluids? Is the cost difference really worth it in the long run?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I just acquired a 2012 pilot 116k. Pretty sure transmission fluid has not been changed. Going to change ALL fluids in the vehicle. Wondering should I really trust it to amsoil or redline, or go with the original DW-1 Honda (or idemitsu h) fluid. Thoughts experiences. Thanks
Joel
I am a Valvoline MaxLife fan. I have several vehicles using it with great success. My greatest success is my 2012 V6 5-speed Honda Crosstour. I began using MaxLife ATF in it at 103k miles. It now has 230k and still going strong. It's just under $18 a gallon at Wal-Mart. I wouldn't think twice, MaxLife.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,494 Posts
For the transfer case I’d just use an aftermarket GL5 gear oil of the specified weight.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I use Maxlife in the Sonata and Pilot, Valvoline full synthetic Dex6 in the Traverse since Maxlife doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies for that certification. For the gear oil I go with M1 full synthetic, 75W90 is what's available off the shelf so that's what I get. VTM-4 is the only fluid that touches the rear diff.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
For the Hypoid gear oil, I just used the Walmart stuff five years ago. Been fine.

For the VTM-4, use only OEM Honda VTM-4 fluid.

For the transmission, spoiler alert...

Yup, Valvoline Maxlife ATF :)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
For the Hypoid gear oil, I just used the Walmart stuff five years ago. Been fine.

For the VTM-4, use only OEM Honda VTM-4 fluid.

For the transmission, spoiler alert...

Yup, Valvoline Maxlife ATF :)
I think you are the only person who uses that spoiler feature... you must really love it... It's the simple things, right?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I think you are the only person who uses that spoiler feature... you must really love it... It's the simple things, right?
You betcha. Just as it's fun to apply mods to your Pilot that bring you pleasure, why not do the same to your posts? I mean why always just limit yourself to missionary position posts? :)

I also derive great joy from making animated GIFs, like for my third brake light mod. ?

Remove rear hatch door panel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. Thanks for the input. Just still scary not using Honda DW-1. I suppose if it don’t work I can just drain and fill several times eh

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I don't think anyone will fault you (well I'm probably wrong every forum has people that will belittle you because you do something different than them) for using DW-1. My feeling is that DW-1 is not synthetic and is manufactured by multiple vendors, so I could be getting a really good bottle or a really poor bottle. Maxlife has a long history of being successful in DW-1 applications and is consistently manufactured as a full synthetic product by one manufacturer. Plus I can use it in 2 of my 3 vehicles so it's one less product I have to stock.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Ok. Thanks for the input. Just still scary not using Honda DW-1. I suppose if it don’t work I can just drain and fill several times eh
I'm just the opposite. I want to get every drop of DW-1 out of my transmissions for the fear that I got the conventional blend. DW-1 has failed me before.
If your vehicle was mine, I would buy 3 jugs of MaxLife and drain, fill, and drive. Repeat for a total of 3 times to get as much DW-1 out as I can. Then every 30k miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Joel
I wouldn't change the rear end oil if your Pilot is nice and quiet when you make slow turns like coming out your driveway or parking spot. I changed my oil when I first got it after seeing the leasing company hadn't changed it since 45,000 mile service and it now had 96,000 miles. I used the recommended Honda Oil and made all the slow figure 8 turns to get the oil to work into the tight clutches in the rear end. No matter what it was very noisy for 4 months, just now getting bearable. I took it back to the dealer the day after the oil change and he did the same figure 8's and then said it it doesn't make noise don't touch it! It doesn't get hot and that thick oil doesn't need changing every 15,000 as the manual says. It is a money making deal for Honda.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I wouldn't change the rear end oil if your Pilot is nice and quiet when you make slow turns like coming out your driveway or parking spot. I changed my oil when I first got it after seeing the leasing company hadn't changed it since 45,000 mile service and it now had 96,000 miles. I used the recommended Honda Oil and made all the slow figure 8 turns to get the oil to work into the tight clutches in the rear end. No matter what it was very noisy for 4 months, just now getting bearable. I took it back to the dealer the day after the oil change and he did the same figure 8's and then said it it doesn't make noise don't touch it! It doesn't get hot and that thick oil doesn't need changing every 15,000 as the manual says. It is a money making deal for Honda.
Is your dealer willing to put that in writing and replace rear diffs that aren't functioning right?

The rear diff clutches need fresh fluid to operate properly. The rear diff works frequently on this vehicle so it's not OK to extend the interval if you live in a warm climate. Knowing what I know about these diffs my recommendation is to follow the factory interval or your maintenance minder system.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl
1 - 20 of 208 Posts