Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

301 - 320 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know if there's a new download site to grab updates for AutoPlayBox? The last update on the manufacturer's website shows 12/29/2018; they had been coming out every couple of weeks.
I have found AutoPlayBox_2019.03.06.1032.apk at Chinese site. Since I do not need to repack apk (like CarPlay.apk), this version works for me. I do not know the differences according to 12/29/2018 but you can repack and try this version.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have found AutoPlayBox_2019.03.06.1032.apk at Chinese site. Since I do not need to repack apk (like CarPlay.apk), this version works for me. I do not know the differences according to 12/29/2018 but you can repack and try this version.
Do you get the pop up every time you turn in the car and the dongle is plugged in with this version?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you get the pop up every time you turn in the car and the dongle is plugged in with this version?
Nope. Nothing is poping up after I turn in the car, but when I plug in the phone.

There are 2 options at the aplication settings -
* insert box to launch - OFF (in my case)
* insert phone to launch - ON (in my case)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
CarPlay & Android Auto Dongle

Annoying pop up is still there :(

I’ve uploaded a repacked version of this 20190306 apk to my Dropbox folder. I’
have it installed in my pilot but I don’t see any changes from the last one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been reading this forum since I picked up my Honda Pilot over three years ago. I've learned a lot from just reading various posts on this forum and I just wanted to share my recent experience in case it's helpful for some folks that are still struggling to get CarPlay working. I finally got CarPlay to work flawlessly on 2016 Honda Pilot EXL this weekend and below are the steps I took to get it working…

- Purchase CarPlay Dongle from Amazon. I used 20% off promotion, so it ended up being around $48. The brand is Carlinkit. Looks like there are two versions of it on Amazon. I got the newer one that's stated to work with Android head unit version 4.4.2. Currently there are no reviews yet. I just left my first review there.

- Install Honda Hack Pro on the head unit using guidelines found here. Root your Honda head unit and install apps freely - Honda Hack. I did pay $25 for Honda Hack Pro. This gives you root access to your head unit along with other useful options.

- Tether the phone to your head unit so that it has internet access. The online guided installation was straight forward but the Honda Hack App would not run on the head unit the first time around, so I did end up running the online installer again and it worked the second time around.

- Launch Honda Hack App on the head unit and install AutoKit from the built-in online app install option.

- Launch AutoKit on the head unit and plug in the CarPlay Dongle to the left side USB port underneath the dashboard. No other USB ports would work, I tried.

- AutoKit automatically recognizes the CarePlay Dongle, follow the on screen instructions and finally plug in your iPhone. I tried it with both iPhone 7 and iPhone Xr running iOS 12.1.4. Both works flawlessly for all the apps.

- I did have Audio issue at first but I deleted my iPhone from Bluetooth connection list on the Head unit. Then I switched the audio source on the head unit to Audio Apps. Now audio is fully functional through CarPlay for calls, Siri, music, etc and steering wheels controls work as well.

The user interface through CarPlay is as smooth as butter. So much better than when I was running apps that were installed directly on the head unit.
Got the dongle, payed for the Honda Hack and it all works like a charm.

Nice write up, really helped!

I had to install the Honda Hack twice using the web browser. First time it didn’t take. I also had to remove my phone from Bluetooth list to get the audio to work.

Super happy with this mod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got the dongle, payed for the Honda Hack and it all works like a charm.

Nice write up, really helped!

I had to install the Honda Hack twice using the web browser. First time it didn’t take. I also had to remove my phone from Bluetooth list to get the audio to work.

Super happy with this mod.
Does removing the phone from the bluetooth list mean you can't use bluetooth for calls anymore unless you connect through the dongle? What if I don't always directly connect my phone through the dongle for carplay, but still want to use bluetooth for phone calls?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having an active bluetooth connection while your phone is connected to the dongle causes audio issues on the headhunt. So what you can do it, turn off bluetooth on your phone or headunit whenever your phone is connected to the dongle.

You don't necessarily have to remove your phone from headunit bluetooth connection list. That being said, you do have to select the correct audio source on your headhunt whether you're using bluetooth audio or audio via connection to the dongle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been reading this forum since I picked up my Honda Pilot over three years ago. I've learned a lot from just reading various posts on this forum and I just wanted to share my recent experience in case it's helpful for some folks that are still struggling to get CarPlay working. I finally got CarPlay to work flawlessly on 2016 Honda Pilot EXL this weekend and below are the steps I took to get it working…

- Purchase CarPlay Dongle from Amazon. I used 20% off promotion, so it ended up being around $48. The brand is Carlinkit. Looks like there are two versions of it on Amazon. I got the newer one that's stated to work with Android head unit version 4.4.2. Currently there are no reviews yet. I just left my first review there.

- Install Honda Hack Pro on the head unit using guidelines found here. Root your Honda head unit and install apps freely - Honda Hack. I did pay $25 for Honda Hack Pro. This gives you root access to your head unit along with other useful options.

- Tether the phone to your head unit so that it has internet access. The online guided installation was straight forward but the Honda Hack App would not run on the head unit the first time around, so I did end up running the online installer again and it worked the second time around.

- Launch Honda Hack App on the head unit and install AutoKit from the built-in online app install option.

- Launch AutoKit on the head unit and plug in the CarPlay Dongle to the left side USB port underneath the dashboard. No other USB ports would work, I tried.

- AutoKit automatically recognizes the CarePlay Dongle, follow the on screen instructions and finally plug in your iPhone. I tried it with both iPhone 7 and iPhone Xr running iOS 12.1.4. Both works flawlessly for all the apps.

- I did have Audio issue at first but I deleted my iPhone from Bluetooth connection list on the Head unit. Then I switched the audio source on the head unit to Audio Apps. Now audio is fully functional through CarPlay for calls, Siri, music, etc and steering wheels controls work as well.

The user interface through CarPlay is as smooth as butter. So much better than when I was running apps that were installed directly on the head unit.
Great Info!

If iPhone is not connected, does the receiver work as a completely stock unit? I ask this because not always we will be connecting the phone and we will want to use the stock functions, specially calls. What is the biggest complaint you have?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great Info!

If iPhone is not connected, does the receiver work as a completely stock unit? I ask this because not always we will be connecting the phone and we will want to use the stock functions, specially calls. What is the biggest complaint you have?

Yes, it does work however you would be switching between bluetooth off and on.
When connected to the dongle you want BL off on your phone and set Audio to Apps. In case you don't want your phone connected to the dongle you gonna have to turn the BL on on the phone and switch Audio to FM/AM/XM/etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I’ve been using this dongle for a bit now and I’ve gone through a number of scenarios to find the best setup. Here are my findings and my end setup.

I tried the method of not having phone on Bluetooth. Yes the audio (music) works better if you use audio apps but the voice quality on calls (mic) is terrible. People I spoke to noticed a big difference in quality of my voice. They came through clear but at times they heard themselves (echo). This I didn’t like.

Bluetooth call quality is perfect.

I also didn’t like having to always plug my phone in. And if I didn’t I couldn’t take hands free calls.

I also found that when I used audio apps for music, I couldn’t change tracks with the steering controls. Annoying but not a showstopper.

So here what i found is the ideal setup (for me).

Phone is on Bluetooth all the time.

When I plug the phone into the dongle, I leave the audio source as BT. Calls and music work great and I can control them via apple CarPlay.

So try this out, it’s the most flexible solution and best quality for calls.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, it does work however you would be switching between bluetooth off and on.
When connected to the dongle you want BL off on your phone and set Audio to Apps. In case you don't want your phone connected to the dongle you gonna have to turn the BL on on the phone and switch Audio to FM/AM/XM/etc.
Thanks for the info. About the dongles, I found this version:

USB Carplay Dongle,Carlinkit Mini Smartphone Link Receiver Adapter Compatible Android Car Auto Navigation Multimedia Player Support Touch and Voice Control(Black with Mic)

I like it better than the white version without the Mic, wondering if someone already tried it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time poster. Got a 2016 Pilot a month back. Was able to get the Honda hack done, bought the dongle and all works well. I was able to update the firmware in the dongle no problem. I have downloaded the latest version of the apk for the headunit, but can’t figure out the install. Like others, I can see the apk on the USB stick, but can’t install.
When installing via Honda hack, I get an install fail and have to reinstall the 2018 version from the online source. When installing from USB Apps I get the “cancel” option, but the “install” option is greyed out (disabled).
I’m not stuck, since the 2018 version does work, but I’d like to get up to date.
Any hints?
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
What about this dongle, I found this version:

USB Carplay Dongle,Carlinkit Mini Smartphone Link Receiver Adapter Compatible Android Car Auto Navigation Multimedia Player Support Touch and Voice Control(Black with Mic)

I like it better than the white version without the Mic, wondering if someone already tried it.

Another question:

What about if I want to put the stereo back to stock? How can i do this?

Still waiting for more specific input regarding the behavior of the unit when phone is not connected, really want to know if it works as a fully stock unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went ahead and purchased the Carlinkit CPC200-AutoKit because I was searching for a relatively simply Carplay / Android Auto set-up for my 2016 Pilot EX-L. I can confirm that the unit works with my Note 8 (using a wire) as well as with my wife's iPhone XS (both wired and wireless). The wireless Carplay feature is really cool. The phone connects through bluetooth and then creates a wifi connection between the car and the phone for control.

I downloaded HondaHack Pro and installed the latest version of AutoKit the head unit would accept.

For those wondering, I'm running the 2018.11.16.1407 version of AutoKit. As others have mentioned, whenever I attempt to upgrade the software, the install button is greyed out.

I was able to update the firmware version of the dongle to the latest without issue (2019.05.17... I forgot to snap a pic.).

Here's the link to the dongle: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QGZ9W1D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It slow-boated from China (took about three weeks).

I see that it is no longer available, but I think I saw it on AliExpress as well.

I'll dig into the dongle more this weekend to see what works or doesn't, but that's all I have for you now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What about this dongle, I found this version:

Another question:

What about if I want to put the stereo back to stock? How can i do this?

Still waiting for more specific input regarding the behavior of the unit when phone is not connected, really want to know if it works as a fully stock unit.
I'm not sure what the Mic would do or why it's needed? I find best results when I leave my phone on Bluetooth and use Bluetooth also for all my audio. I NEVER use AudioApps as I found it was a pain to deal with.

When the dongle is unplugged, head unit is bone stock to the point where my wife doesn't even know it's hacked. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went ahead and purchased the Carlinkit CPC200-AutoKit because I was searching for a relatively simply Carplay / Android Auto set-up for my 2016 Pilot EX-L. I can confirm that the unit works with my Note 8 (using a wire) as well as with my wife's iPhone XS (both wired and wireless). The wireless Carplay feature is really cool. The phone connects through bluetooth and then creates a wifi connection between the car and the phone for control.

I downloaded HondaHack Pro and installed the latest version of AutoKit the head unit would accept.

For those wondering, I'm running the 2018.11.16.1407 version of AutoKit. As others have mentioned, whenever I attempt to upgrade the software, the install button is greyed out.

I was able to update the firmware version of the dongle to the latest without issue (2019.05.17... I forgot to snap a pic.).

Here's the link to the dongle: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QGZ9W1D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It slow-boated from China (took about three weeks).

I see that it is no longer available, but I think I saw it on AliExpress as well.

I'll dig into the dongle more this weekend to see what works or doesn't, but that's all I have for you now.
That's an interesting model. I would certainly prefer wireless CarPlay as I like to wirelessly charge my phone in the vehicle but when the adapter is plugged into the phone it takes it's charge from the plug (vs. wireless charging).

I'll keep eye on it and hope if comes back available.

Thanks for sharing.

301 - 320 of 340 Posts