Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

321 - 340 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went ahead and purchased the Carlinkit CPC200-AutoKit because I was searching for a relatively simply Carplay / Android Auto set-up for my 2016 Pilot EX-L. I can confirm that the unit works with my Note 8 (using a wire) as well as with my wife's iPhone XS (both wired and wireless). The wireless Carplay feature is really cool. The phone connects through bluetooth and then creates a wifi connection between the car and the phone for control.

I downloaded HondaHack Pro and installed the latest version of AutoKit the head unit would accept.

For those wondering, I'm running the 2018.11.16.1407 version of AutoKit. As others have mentioned, whenever I attempt to upgrade the software, the install button is greyed out.

I was able to update the firmware version of the dongle to the latest without issue (2019.05.17... I forgot to snap a pic.).

Here's the link to the dongle: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QGZ9W1D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It slow-boated from China (took about three weeks).

I see that it is no longer available, but I think I saw it on AliExpress as well.

I'll dig into the dongle more this weekend to see what works or doesn't, but that's all I have for you now.
How is it going with the dongle? working good?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wanted to add that the latest AutoKit update was very significant and worth the effort. Very stable, added features such as the ability to configure the car manufacturer logo to the car icon in CarPlay, key mapping (in beta), and screen mirroring if for some reason you want to do that. I can imagine that would be nice for videos, but the screen is only mirrored, not controllable from the touch display.

Anybody had any luck in bypassing the double permission dialog prompt from AutoLink upon every single startup? Does HondaHackPro provide any way around this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there.

I have a 2016 Pilot EXL. The dongle has been mostly great in providing the CarPlay for the car. Super excited about that. But I noticed you mentioned there is an update that allows you to configure the car icon to the manufacturer. How do you do this? Also, do you have any issues playing the music apps like Pandora or Spotify while using Waze or Google or Apple maps? I might hear a second of audio then it stops. Frustrating. Lastly, can this only work by using the audio apps source? I guess that would mean I can’t use app while listening the satellite radio at the same time. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I’ve been using this dongle for a bit now and I’ve gone through a number of scenarios to find the best setup. Here are my findings and my end setup.

I tried the method of not having phone on Bluetooth. Yes the audio (music) works better if you use audio apps but the voice quality on calls (mic) is terrible. People I spoke to noticed a big difference in quality of my voice. They came through clear but at times they heard themselves (echo). This I didn’t like.

Bluetooth call quality is perfect.

I also didn’t like having to always plug my phone in. And if I didn’t I couldn’t take hands free calls.

I also found that when I used audio apps for music, I couldn’t change tracks with the steering controls. Annoying but not a showstopper.

So here what i found is the ideal setup (for me).

Phone is on Bluetooth all the time.

When I plug the phone into the dongle, I leave the audio source as BT. Calls and music work great and I can control them via apple CarPlay.

So try this out, it’s the most flexible solution and best quality for calls.

Cheers,
Dave
Good info.

What about Google Maps and Waze voice directions? can you hear them when using your setup?

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Njpilot2016, I do all of my app install through the head unit browser in a sense that I browse to what I need, download and install it. Here are the exact details as far as all of my app installation goes...

- Honda Hack App, installation was done via head unit browser following directions from Honda Hack website.

- AutoKit, Waze and Netflix were installed from within Honda Hack App. It has a list of pre-populated apps you can install from Honda Hack App<Install Apps from online option.

- Plex, ES File Explorer. I downloaded the apk using head unit browser from APKMirror website. Find apk that are compatible with Android version 4.1+. Then went into Honda Hack App<Install Apps from local storage option to run the actual installation. Honda Hack App takes care adding the app signature to the head unit whitelist as part of the installation.
What version of the AutoKit is in the Honda Hack app? is it always the latest version?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed HondaHack and AutoKit yesterday.

HondaHack went relatively smooth, I did it through the browser in the unit. It didn't work the first time, everytime I tried to open HondaHack it said "HondaHack stopped unexpectedly". I run the installation a second time and it worked fine. For what I've read, it is very common to do the installation twice.

I installed AutoKit through the online apps list. Installation went well and carplay worked "well".

• Phone Calls: I tested calls with CarPlay having Audio Apps selected (the Audio Apps stock option under audio source). I called 2 people and told me the call sounded good, I will have to test this more if I'm actually driving while the car is moving.
  • Audio Apps: I initially installed it from the online application list but when back to use the stock function for FM radio, It didn't allow me. I uninstalled it and it went back to normal.
  • AutoKit Update: I couldn't update the autokit to latest version. The box was updated but autokit could not, even when the app told there is a latest version and I downloaded it, the option for installation was grayout.
  • Pop up boxes: Those annoying boxes pop up everytime I turned on the car.
  • Spotify: I could not change songs with the steering wheel.
If anyone can have some feedback on how to update the AutoKit and stopped those annoying boxes, it would be appreciated. For now, I will only connect the dongle when we go for road trips or longer drives. My wife drives the car everyday and I know those boxes will drive her crazy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased the wired one and installed the HondaHack. I cannot seem to get the APK installed. When I try to install from the website or the downloaded APK (via USB via HondaHack), I get an incomprehensible error. When I try to install directly from the USB, the "install" option is greyed out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased the wired one and installed the HondaHack. I cannot seem to get the APK installed. When I try to install from the website or the downloaded APK (via USB via HondaHack), I get an incomprehensible error. When I try to install directly from the USB, the "install" option is greyed out.
Have you had any luck finding a workaround for this issue?

I have the older version of the AutoKit APK working with a wired connection using my wife's iPhone, but would really like to get the newer APK installed for wireless CarPlay as the Lightning port on my iPhone is dead. (Thankfully I've got AirPods and can charge it wirelessly, but that doesn't help me for a wired CarPlay connection...)

·
Registered
26 Posts
You're going to need to research repacking/repackaging the APK file. It's been discussed previously in this thread.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Okay I bought this dongle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KSV5Q8F

I installed HHP and AutoKit and I can get Android Auto running. I have two major issues:

1. I cannot get audio to work through AA at all. If I disable/delete Bluetooth and switch to audio apps, I can get music to play for a second before it abruptly stops. If bluetooth is enabled, it says it's playing but it's silent. The stock audio apps (fm/am/sxm) don't work in this case.

2. Weird popup with navigation buttons (back/home/reload)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would like to know step by step if possible, what needs to be done in order to install arkzrlo s "repacked carplay" since I cannot install or update the autokit.apk who can guide us through the secret please?👨‍🎓

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hondahack now has an updated version of the autokit.apk that can be installed! Hope it helps you guys as well. The only issue I have now is with the calls not transferring to car automatically and also opening stock call app instead of staying on androidauto

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, I'm just learning about his whole Honda Hack thing for my 2016 Pilot. When I go to the Honda Hack website, I don't see anything about needing a dongle. Have things changed or is it just assumed that you're supposed to have one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, I'm just learning about his whole Honda Hack thing for my 2016 Pilot. When I go to the Honda Hack website, I don't see anything about needing a dongle. Have things changed or is it just assumed that you're supposed to have one?
Maybe I should note that my primary reason for doing this is to get Google Maps or Waze on my vehicle screen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
My steering wheel media controls - next and previous stopped working about 1 month ago after upgrading the firmware. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling both AutoPlay and Honda Hack, but it did not help. Anybody encountered the same issue. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I'm thinking about ordering the "white dongle" by 1haodian2013 can anybody tell me if this dongle can transfer the calls to bluetooth automatically or do you still have to switch to bluetooth? Also can you make calls through the car speakers when on "audio apps" mode? I have the carlinkit dongle but those features won't work for me. Thanks for any help

321 - 340 of 340 Posts
About this Discussion
339 Replies
77 Participants
nir360
Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
Piloteers.org forum community offers tech info, troubleshooting, modification DIY’s and discussion for the Honda Pilot SUV.
Full Forum Listing