Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

281 - 300 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Njpilot2016, I do all of my app install through the head unit browser in a sense that I browse to what I need, download and install it. Here are the exact details as far as all of my app installation goes...

- Honda Hack App, installation was done via head unit browser following directions from Honda Hack website.

- AutoKit, Waze and Netflix were installed from within Honda Hack App. It has a list of pre-populated apps you can install from Honda Hack App<Install Apps from online option.

- Plex, ES File Explorer. I downloaded the apk using head unit browser from APKMirror website. Find apk that are compatible with Android version 4.1+. Then went into Honda Hack App<Install Apps from local storage option to run the actual installation. Honda Hack App takes care adding the app signature to the head unit whitelist as part of the installation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok thanks bladerunner! The honda hack website also talked about using a USB in steps 1 and 2 but would prefer to avoid that since my computer blocks USB devices! So you just went to step 3?

1. Prepare a USB flash disk and format it using FAT32. Attach the disk to the head unit and make sure the factory USB audio player can recognize it.
2. Download HondaHack.apk (http://autohack.org/clarion/HondaHack.apk) and save it to your USB flash disk.
3. Connect your head unit to Internet with Wi-Fi. You can use your cell phone as a hotspot.
4. Launch the Browser app from the App List and navigate to http://autohack.org/clarion. If the Browser app does not exist in the App List, please follow the instructions in this YouTube video to enabled it.
5. Click the Start button and enter the authorization code.
6. Wait about 3-5 minutes and then follow the instructions to perform a factory data reset.
7. After the head unit is rebooted, Honda Hack app should be installed automatically. If it is not installed, please Launch Usb Installer from the App List and install HondaHack.apk manually.
8. launch Honda Hack app from the App List to install other apps and tweak the system.

·
Registered
979 Posts
@Honda7, I'm assuming you're referring to step number 5 found on Honda Hack website directions for 2016-2017 Honda Pilots. http://www.autohack.org/vehicles/pilot/.

Authorization code is something they emailed me after I bought the pro version of the Honda Hack app. I paid $25. It was pretty straightforward and quick. I used PayPal to pay for it and their system automatically emailed me the authorization code to the email address on my PayPal account.

Click the start button is something you do on your head unit web browser after you navigate to the website specified in the Honda Hack instructions. The onscreen button may say start or get started, I can't remember the specifics.

I'm NOT affiliated with Honda Hack App in any way. I chose to do this method because it was simple, quick and it was all done through the web browser of the head unit. It doesn't get easier than that.
Thanks, that was my question. $25.00.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Njpilot2016,

Yep, if you don't want to mess with USB flash drive, go straight to step 3, which is what I did. USB flash drive method is only needed if online auto install doesn't go through.

3. Connect your head unit to Internet with Wi-Fi. You can use your cell phone as a hotspot.
4. Launch the Browser app from the App List and navigate to http://autohack.org/clarion. If the Browser app does not exist in the App List, please follow the instructions in this YouTube video to enabled it.
5. Click the Start button and enter the authorization code.
6. Wait about 3-5 minutes and then follow the instructions to perform a factory data reset.
7. After the head unit is rebooted, Honda Hack app should be installed automatically. If it is not installed, please Launch Usb Installer from the App List and install HondaHack.apk manually.
8. launch Honda Hack app from the App List to install other apps and tweak the system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@claysd, I get the same annoying prompt each time I start my car. I've tried checking the box for "Use by default for this USB device" option many times yet I get prompted again each time I start my car. I haven't figure out how to get rid of the annoy prompt yet. I'm hoping someone smarter can help us figure it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone else get this issue after installing the hondahack/know how to fix when trying to open the app: “unfortunately, Honda hack has stopped”

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got it to work redoing the Honda hack. Anyone figure out how to make the icons for the apps the same size as the ones already on the pilot? Looks silly when moved for the main screen and their tiny...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you a 100% the apk you used came from my dropbox folder? There is another apk called AutoKit that does not work with the some of the white dongles. I'm telling you this, because the interface shown on your picture does not match the one on the app I uploaded. I tried the Autokit once on my car and I got the same error when I plugged the dongle to the usb.
Do the files in the Dropbox folder with with the white dongles as well?

--Harry

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could you share the repackaged autokit apk please?
I tried to install the latest AutoKit.apk from this link Index of /download with external usb stick, inside the Honda Hack app, but the Install is grayed out. So I tried the apk with my Android tablet, and it works fine. There's probably a permission list file or some sort that allow certain APK to be installed with Honda Hack with our rooted head unit. Perhaps someone with knowledge of APK repack can share some tips? Or if we can all email Honda Hack to request if they can repack the latest AutoKit.apk from the above source.

The AutoKit version from Honda Hack is: 2018.11.16.1407
The AutoKit latest version from AutoKit Upgrade is: 2019.01.18.1733

Attachments

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Disclaimer: I am just noting my personal experience. I'm not advocating the utilization of these methods, but just sharing what has worked for me and my Honda 2016 Pilot EX-L.

Before one can even install the autokit.apk and then use the special carplay/android auto usb dongle, the headunit must rooted by HondaHack so that the "install" buttons are not greyed out. This noted, once you install HondaHack, one doesn't have to download the remainder of the apps & apks via a usb stick, you can download them directly on the wifi connected headunit via HondaHack's app installer.

The HondaHack Pro is a game changer, and a must have, for anyone with a 2016 Honda Pilot, and it also enables and enhances the 2017+ Pilot experience as well. It not only enables CarPlay & Android auto (via the additional special usb dongle), but it enhances the navigation and media experience in these vehicles.

As such, HondaHack works best when purchased and ran via the autohack.org site first (to get license key for either the basic or Pro versions), then via online (via the headunit) you use the license key to install Honda Hack.

Again, when I say "online", I mean the head unit needs to be connected via wifi and use the installed headunit browser to go the link.

Root your Honda head unit and install apps freely - Honda Hack

Sometimes it takes two installs, or at least a couple of reboots to get it all set. Just follow the instructions provided for the Honda Pilot (2016+), and take screen shots when you get the codes (for record/safe keeping). I recommend that you check out and print out the webpages from the above link before you purchase and start directly on your headunit.

Highly recommend you spend the additional $10, and pay full $25 (vs $15 basic) via paypal or CC for the PRO version.

You get an additional code for the PRO version as well. In practice (from what I've seen so far), it will install and keep these additional apps and apks up-to-date, providing you keep the headunit connected online at times via your phone or mobile hotspot (or at a minimum, when you are parked at a location with wifi)

The Honda Hack, does a lot more than just enable carplay via the autokit.apk (note: autokit.apk needs to be installed before you use the carplay/android usb dongle). Honda Hack also allows you to select install and directly use other apps on the headunit itself, like Spotify, Netflix, Waze, Sygic (with offline maps), etc.

Safety Message: Keep in mind, HondaHack will also allow the disabling of the parking break lock out...so I've noticed one can even keep things like Netflix running while they are are driving. One can also turn that back on that safety feature (I believe, not yet confirmed)...

So, one doesn't even need the carplay/android usb dongle and use those features if you don't want to...although having the choice is ideal and nice.

The headunit installed online apps need the headunit to be connected to a wifi hotspot (otherwise you need to use autokit.apk along with the dongle and connect to the apps available within carplay or android auto managed on the phone).

The HondaHack pro version allows installs additional changes (such as the ability to use an external usb stick for apps (and offline map) storage, etc. Memory and cache optimization, etc. The advanced settings in the PRO version does a lot. While one can buy the basic for $15, and then hunt and manually install everything else, the packaging/management the pro version provides keeps it all clean and easy to keep everything updated together.

-Dean

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tried to install the latest AutoKit.apk from this link Index of /download with external usb stick, inside the Honda Hack app, but the Install is grayed out. So I tried the apk with my Android tablet, and it works fine. There's probably a permission list file or some sort that allow certain APK to be installed with Honda Hack with our rooted head unit. Perhaps someone with knowledge of APK repack can share some tips? Or if we can all email Honda Hack to request if they can repack the latest AutoKit.apk from the above source.

The AutoKit version from Honda Hack is: 2018.11.16.1407
The AutoKit latest version from AutoKit Upgrade is: 2019.01.18.1733

I get the same message. Hope Honda Hack update on their end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you to all you fine tinkerers... we bought our CPO 2016 Pilot EX 2016 over the weekend and I was following this thread before I even signed the deal!

I just spent two hours getting the dongle working. Here are my observations:

1. The latest ADB standalone version for Windows from Google has a bug that require the port number to be added to connection calls (doesn't default to 5555). So I basically had to update all scripts to get them to work. There were other issues with the oneclickinstall from XDA that forced me to run lots of commands manually.

2. I wasn't able to get either the latest AutoPlay.apk from CarLinkIt.com or the CarPlay.apk from DropBox to work... AutoPlay would consistently fail on adb install and the CarPlay.apk kept giving me the activation error post install. I have this feeling that whoever is writing updates to the app has added a check to prevent "other guys" from using their software. But that's just funny because I bought the "real" CarLinkIt dongle from Amazon.

3. I was finally able to install the HondaHack.apk manually and then use it to install the dongle app from within that app. It works!

4. I still need to figure out the optimal connection settings for the phone: should I keep the bluetooth connection on? Phone and media? How do I make sure both phone calls and media play on the car speakers when using Android Auto?

5. I noticed that manually switching outside of Android Auto and then going back in, the screen goes blank for like 5 seconds. Is that normal behavior?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone know if there's a new download site to grab updates for AutoPlayBox? The last update on the manufacturer's website shows 12/29/2018; they had been coming out every couple of weeks.

281 - 300 of 340 Posts