Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
261 - 280 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
88 Posts
My suggestion is to retain the K.I.S.S. principle, Keep It Simple Stup**...... I tried a lot of items, like weather apps, etc., but the problem lies in getting a newer APK to work; my '16 has an older Android O/S (4.2.0.0/4.2.2.0?) which we cannot upgrade, so you would have to TRY to find an older release APK and try installing that. 99.999+% of the time the APK program(s) I tried to install didn't work. I was trying to install some sort of weather APK so I wouldn't have to fiddle with my phone while driving, but couldn't get anything to work other than the Waze and Google maps (on the head unit), so I purchased the CarPlay dongle as described in this thread. It would be nice for CarPlay to add a weather app to its interface, though....

Very time consuming trying to search through previously released APKs to find something that would work, with a high failure rate.

Just my .02¢. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have search and search, google maps have no sound with turn by turn navigation. Where are the audio apps in honda hack? I am done with this after I get google maps working perfectly. I promise!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just posting to see if anybody else can provide feedback on their situation. I have been playing with the white C200-CMAP dongle using CarPlay for about 4 months now and visually it has gotten better and better with successive software updates. Unfortunately audio problems involving microphone use keep this dongle from being out of beta for my taste in the Pilot. Getting my voice to be picked up by the microphone is hit or miss and seems to be isolated to just the driver seat, if at all. Quality is nowhere near what the stock Bluetooth phone app can provide. Sometimes callers on the other end of calls report hearing loud static interference that fades in and out during calls. Sometimes there is a 0.5 sec delay that makes conversations difficult to keep coherent, much like high latency VOIP calling remniscent of the early days of Skype.

My dongle only allows the use of Autokit.apk app. No Autoplay like arkzrlo has documented. On the surface, both apps are practically identical with configuration settings and appear to even be distributed by the same developer. I wish that I could just flash the firmware file that arkzrlo has posted and use his apk, but no luck.

Possible solution #1, could my audio issues be due to not getting enough amperage from the USB port? Would a powered hub fix this?

Possible solution #2, I've been trying to figure out what control I could assign in the whitelist file to allow audio to be pumped through Bluetooth instead of the cable/app. Then I would be able to take calls via the stock app. Currently if I try to do this, audio does not work. It just pauses itself over and over and calls have intolerable echo. So far, I have not found a way to permanently make the iPhone prefer the Bluetooth connection over the cable/dongle.

Possible solution #3, works, but is loathsome to have to perform every time that I get in the Pilot. It involves manually setting the Bluetooth connection in the Pilot to only connect the Phone profile and not the Music profile. This method keeps audio from the dongle and reverts to the stock Bluetooth phone app when phone calls are placed. Unfortunately, the Pilot forgets this setting every time it restarts. Not even going into the hidden Android Bluetooth menu seems to be able to make this setting stick.

Am I missing anything? I'm about to give up on this dongle and just replace the 16 black box with a 17 black box.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
88 Posts
Hey, y'all, got a MAJOR problem!

My wife tried to disconnect my CarPlay dongle from the USB port in the dash, and danged if she didn't do something to the box or wiring, but, it stops working and the head unit no longer recognizes the dongle. It's not the USB port, that checked out okay. Something in the wiring between the USB plug and the box, and I only get an on again/off again connection.

I'm here asking for some help, please. I have a 2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD, and the head unit is running the Android 4.2.2.0 O/S. I had ordered another dongle, got that in today, and it uses the AutoKit.apk. I tried installing it, and keep getting an error message about the device is not authorized.

I NEED to get another dongle FAST! I spent 4 hours researching on line with ebay and Amazon, but ebay no longer has the one I purchased. Has ANYONE purchased one of the CarPlay dongles recently, where they use arksrlo's repacked files? I know that they'll probably need to come from China, oh, well, but I would desperately like to have a system like I had previously.

Can anyone PLEASE help me? If you can, please, provide a link to wherever you purchased the dongle at (Ebay or Amazon, whatever). You can also email me at [email protected] Your assistance would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
88 Posts
Update... After a few more hours late into the night searching and reading EACH and every ad looking for a dongle that was like my old one (using the CarPlay apk that arkzrlo posts for us with the updates), I believe that I found one using that, and not the AutoKit apk:

USB Carplay Dongle For Apple iPhone Android Car Auto Music Navigation Player 760450924003 | eBay

Apologize about the previous posts, but I was frantic, and was reaching out for some help. Going to return the other one today to Amazon, as I was in touch with their tech support for the Linkswell device, and they stated in their emails to me that their device would not work on an OEM Pilot head unit (I was in touch with one person who replied that they need to take a look and modify their description on the Amazon page; but a reply back from another person who handles their advertising told me that it is clearly stated that it won't work on an OEM headunit). However, in the reviews, the one reviewer posted that they used it on their 2016 Honda Pilot, and it worked fine - albeit they needed to download and install from the web, which didn't work for me).

Again, sorry for the previously posted request for immediate help! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We'll see in another month when it arrives (yeah, one of those shipping from China....)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought the dongle from amazon the Carlinkit. Installed the APK and i get to the point where it says install in and i dont get any further. What am i doing wrong? I have the Honda Hack Pro Installed Any Help would greatly be appreciated

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
88 Posts
I bought the dongle from amazon the Carlinkit. Installed the APK and i get to the point where it says install in and i dont get any further. What am i doing wrong? I have the Honda Hack Pro Installed Any Help would greatly be appreciated
2016inNY-

As I have posted just recently, I had purchased one of the USB dongles through Ebay in May 2018 for 2016 Honda Pilot EXL. That one would use the CarPlay apk that arkzrlo posts to help keep it updated. Unfortunately my wife was 'trying' to help me, and somehow yanked the dongle out of the USB port at a weird angle, and something broke in either the wiring from the box to the USB male connector, or something got broken within the box itself. Now, when trying to use it, the head unit doesn't recognize the box being plugged in, it will work intermittently, but always craps out, and I keep getting a "Please insert box into USB port" message.

I was in dire need of this function, and didn't want to wait a month for another to be ordered and shipped from China, so found a similar item on Amazon (not sure exactly which dongle you ordered, but which is what I presume was your reasoning), and ordered it. I received it, followed the instructions, and got almost the same messages that you got during install. The head unit would not recognize the dongle AT ALL. I contacted the tech support number that was provided, and after discussing this with the gentleman on the phone, I was told that their device would NOT work on the OEM head unit, only aftermarket ones.

So, instead of messing around with it to TRY to get it to work, I just bit the bullet and ordered another dongle through Ebay from China. I actually backed that purchase up with another one, just in case. I actually feel more comfortable using that device with the CarPlay.APK that arkzrlo posts, rather than fooling around with the Autokit apk.

One thing that I am going to do this time, to alleviate the stress on the dongle cable with the male USB connection will be to use a 6" USB extension cable, and use that to plug into the left hand USB port instead of using the dongle's short male USB connection. Less wear and tear, and cheaper in the long run to replace just the extension cable than having to order another dongle and waiting for delivery.

Personally, unless you want to fool around with the dongle to attempt to get it to work, I would possible recommend just returning it and getting your money back and look at something like this one, which is what I broke down and purchased: USB Carplay Dongle For Apple iPhone Android Car Auto Music Navigation Player 760450924003 | eBay

Hope that helps, just my personal thoughts! Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
88 Posts
CarPlay & Android Auto Dongle

Mea Culpa! Just as a follow up and apology to 2016inNY, and anyone else that may have perused my previous reply......

I had gone ahead and returned that dongle that used the AutoKit.apk because it wouldn’t install on my head unit, as I kept getting ‘This product is not authorized, please contact the dealer’ and ‘Installation failed - Failure -[Install_failed_internal_error] messages. Got those numerous times, and just gave up on it.

So, ordered another dongle which ‘appeared’ to be the same as my original one that I had purchased back in May 2018. After waiting about 3 weeks, it arrived today in the mail. Tore it open and looked, it’s the same type that I had returned that uses the AutoKit. Imagine my frustration as I opened it! But, I was determined to get this one to work!

Went through the instructions and was getting the same error messages as well this time. And following the instructions multiple times.

At this point, I went back through my emails and found the instructions for installing the HondaHack Pro and my registration number. Once I had the apk and step by step instructions, I went ahead and uninstalled the version on my head unit, then reinstalled it from scratch, rebooting/restarting the head unit per prompts.

Lo and behold, the install completed, HU restarted, and followed the screen prompts and have the CarPlay working! I was afraid that I had damaged the USB port due to the number of times trying to insert the dongle at an angle from driver’s seat. This new one works, no problems, so it must have been the internal electronics/wiring on the other dongle that was causing the issues.

I believe that reinstalling the HondaHack Pro resolved the problem; it must have been that the vehicle’s white list was corrupted and wouldn’t allow the AutoKit apk to install, and by reinstalling the HondaHack Pro, it reset the white list on the head unit.

This time around, I took some self fusing X-Treme self fusing silicone tape and wrapped USB male/female connections to hold them together, then wrapped the cables to the dongle to avoid any abuse. I used a 6” USB male to female extension, and can plug that into the USB port in the dash to avoid wear and tear at the dongle. Put a piece of Velcro on it and stuck that up under the little shelf below the USB ports and that is where it will stay!

So, back in business, and again, my apologies to anyone that may have taken offense to my post. At that time, I was frustrated and upset, and probably not thinking rationally!

All’s well that ends well! Thanks! Hope this helps anyone with a ‘16 or ‘17 Pilot that may have had the same problems!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
88 Posts
CarPlay & Android Auto Dongle

Sweet, everything is working fine today, took a short drive and everything was working, didn't cut out on me.

I got home, and was going through the settings for the AutoKit. In the update section, it says that there is an AutoKit Upgrade to New Version:2019.01.18.1733. I tried running that, however, the INSTALL button is greyed out. Could not run the update through HondaHack, nor through the head unit. Did a search on line for the update, but no results came back.

Anyone else encountering this? If you have, and have located a webpage where one can get the download and place on a USB flash drive, please share with us/me.

The box upgraded fine, just the app/apk on the head unit is what I'd like to update. I ain't messin' with success, and I'm NOT going to keep resetting the head unit, since this seems to need to be installed from a USB drive.

Thanks! I'll keep searching for it, and If I find a webpage, I'll share.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the dongle i purchased linked to autokit.apk 12-29-18. However when i try to install i get install failed internal error. i just installed honda hack pro and the online version of autokit installed fine but is older. Anyone know how to fix it? I tried the APK Icon editor

Version Code: 1
Version Name: 1.0
Minimum SDK: 16
Tarket SDK: 23
Application Name: AutoKit

·
Registered
12 Posts
2016 Pilot EXL, CarPlay Dongle, Honda Hack, AutoKit

I've been reading this forum since I picked up my Honda Pilot over three years ago. I've learned a lot from just reading various posts on this forum and I just wanted to share my recent experience in case it's helpful for some folks that are still struggling to get CarPlay working. I finally got CarPlay to work flawlessly on 2016 Honda Pilot EXL this weekend and below are the steps I took to get it working…

- Purchase CarPlay Dongle from Amazon. I used 20% off promotion, so it ended up being around $48. The brand is Carlinkit. Looks like there are two versions of it on Amazon. I got the newer one that's stated to work with Android head unit version 4.4.2. Currently there are no reviews yet. I just left my first review there.

- Install Honda Hack Pro on the head unit using guidelines found here. Root your Honda head unit and install apps freely - Honda Hack. I did pay $25 for Honda Hack Pro. This gives you root access to your head unit along with other useful options.

- Tether the phone to your head unit so that it has internet access. The online guided installation was straight forward but the Honda Hack App would not run on the head unit the first time around, so I did end up running the online installer again and it worked the second time around.

- Launch Honda Hack App on the head unit and install AutoKit from the built-in online app install option.

- Launch AutoKit on the head unit and plug in the CarPlay Dongle to the left side USB port underneath the dashboard. No other USB ports would work, I tried.

- AutoKit automatically recognizes the CarePlay Dongle, follow the on screen instructions and finally plug in your iPhone. I tried it with both iPhone 7 and iPhone Xr running iOS 12.1.4. Both works flawlessly for all the apps.

- I did have Audio issue at first but I deleted my iPhone from Bluetooth connection list on the Head unit. Then I switched the audio source on the head unit to Audio Apps. Now audio is fully functional through CarPlay for calls, Siri, music, etc and steering wheels controls work as well.

The user interface through CarPlay is as smooth as butter. So much better than when I was running apps that were installed directly on the head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2016 pilot exl awd and my unit is version 4.2.2. Can someone please share a dongle that has worked for them consistently off this version for getting apple carplay along with the steps they took for setting it up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've been reading this forum since I picked up my Honda Pilot over three years ago. I've learned a lot from just reading various posts on this forum and I just wanted to share my recent experience in case it's helpful for some folks that are still struggling to get CarPlay working. I finally got CarPlay to work flawlessly on 2016 Honda Pilot EXL this weekend and below are the steps I took to get it working…

- Purchase CarPlay Dongle from Amazon. I used 20% off promotion, so it ended up being around $48. The brand is Carlinkit. Looks like there are two versions of it on Amazon. I got the newer one that's stated to work with Android head unit version 4.4.2. Currently there are no reviews yet. I just left my first review there.

- Install Honda Hack Pro on the head unit using guidelines found here. Root your Honda head unit and install apps freely - Honda Hack. I did pay $25 for Honda Hack Pro. This gives you root access to your head unit along with other useful options.

- Tether the phone to your head unit so that it has internet access. The online guided installation was straight forward but the Honda Hack App would not run on the head unit the first time around, so I did end up running the online installer again and it worked the second time around.

- Launch Honda Hack App on the head unit and install AutoKit from the built-in online app install option.

- Launch AutoKit on the head unit and plug in the CarPlay Dongle to the left side USB port underneath the dashboard. No other USB ports would work, I tried.

- AutoKit automatically recognizes the CarePlay Dongle, follow the on screen instructions and finally plug in your iPhone. I tried it with both iPhone 7 and iPhone Xr running iOS 12.1.4. Both works flawlessly for all the apps.

- I did have Audio issue at first but I deleted my iPhone from Bluetooth connection list on the Head unit. Then I switched the audio source on the head unit to Audio Apps. Now audio is fully functional through CarPlay for calls, Siri, music, etc and steering wheels controls work as well.

The user interface through CarPlay is as smooth as butter. So much better than when I was running apps that were installed directly on the head unit.
Thank you for the instructions. However, what is this step 5, Click the Start button and enter the authorization code? Also how to find the version 4.4.2? Sorry never done this before. Will try when the weather is warmer.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as versioning goes, click on Apps<Settings<About Device. I'm pretty sure all 2016 Honda Pilots are on Android version 4.2.2.

Android Version - 4.2.2
iPhone iOS Version - 12.1.4
AutoKit Version - 2018.11.16.1407
Box Version - 2018.12.13.1454 (I think this is the software version of the dongle itself)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Honda7, I'm assuming you're referring to step number 5 found on Honda Hack website directions for 2016-2017 Honda Pilots. http://www.autohack.org/vehicles/pilot/.

Authorization code is something they emailed me after I bought the pro version of the Honda Hack app. I paid $25. It was pretty straightforward and quick. I used PayPal to pay for it and their system automatically emailed me the authorization code to the email address on my PayPal account.

Click the start button is something you do on your head unit web browser after you navigate to the website specified in the Honda Hack instructions. The onscreen button may say start or get started, I can't remember the specifics.

I'm NOT affiliated with Honda Hack App in any way. I chose to do this method because it was simple, quick and it was all done through the web browser of the head unit. It doesn't get easier than that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
USB Car Play Dongle - Android USB Permissions

I have just installed Carlinkit USB Car Play Dongle Electronics Cable Connector (HW01-01) and in general it works well.

I am using it on a Honda Pilot 2016, and as such I rooted the Head Unit using HondaHack to allow me to install the AutoKit.apk. I tried to use the manual method, but for some reason I could not get AutoKit to install via OneClickInstall, although I could get other apps to install OK, like arkzrlo's Carplay.apk, but that didn't work with my dongle.

Anyway - I now have a rooted HU, and each time it starts up the only issue is that the head unit asks for a permission for AutoKit to use the Dongle every time the car is turned on. Even if I choose the 'use by default' checkbox, the same think happens next time - it's like the setting does not stick. Once I check the box it loads up Android Auto / Carplay just fine.

I get an android dialog with an icon and AutoKit in the header, and the message
"Allow the app AutoKit to access the USB device?"
there's a check box underneath with the text "Use by Default for this USB device"

I also get another similar dialog saying
"Open AutoKit when this USB device is connected" with a similar checkbox underneath.

The app will not open unless I check the box and select OK. It's a bit annoying to have to do this every time the car starts.

Any ideas? Can I set the checkbox in the back end somewhere, given it doesn't seem to 'stick' in the UI.

261 - 280 of 373 Posts