Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like the extra room in the pilot, I don't use the 3rd row, keep them folded down. The pilot boasts higher mpg figures, too? Anyway...younger generations will like the looks and performance differences of the Passport, that's just fine, both excellent vehicles!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys.

We now have a pretty good idea of what the Passport is all about.

Sooo... other than better off-road capability, what would you say are the advantages of a Passport over a 2019 Pilot?

Just curious to hear everyone's perspective on this.

Thanks !! :)
So, I just had this very debate and discussion today. The Passport is a little more agile, it is a little smaller. One thing of note, on the Elite trim package, the Passport does not have a DVD player. On all trim levels the Passport does not have a 2nd moonroof.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Passport is a very nice vehicle. We test drove an EXL the same day we test drove a 2019 pilot EXL.

To me, at least on the street, they drive and handle exactly the same. Although I did not like the shifter buttons. But that's a personal thing because I like to rest my hand on the shifter knob... The passport does not have a shifter knob.

I did not know the passport had paddle shifters until I hit them by accident while pulling out of a parking spot at the dealership. Even though we were traveling slowly, the passport jerk because of the transmission shift.

Based on exterior looks alone, the passport wins.

My own personal thought is that if Honda made the 2019 with exterior trim that resembled the passport, more people would probably buy the pilot versus the competing brands.

at the time we test drove those vehicles, we were not 100% set on a third row. The based on the pricing models, for some reason I recall the pilot being the better deal because for comfortable amount of money there is an optional third-row even if it's never used.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been shopping for something to upsize from a CR-V and I have to say I prefer the styling of the Passport over the Pilot. I've seen that the ground clearance is a little higher on the Passport, which is handy since we like to take a few dirt trails when on vacation. (I would even think that the Traxda lift kit for the Ridgeline/Pilot should fit into the Passport, which would add another two inches.)

A couple of things bothered me about the Passport. One is that it has that ZF transmission--I had the worst car owning experience ever with a German automobile, and I've read many unfavorable things about ZF transmissions in general that I want to avoid them, not just on Hondas. (That is partly why I'm looking at a Pilot EX-L as opposed to any higher models.)

The other has to do with colors. I noticed that the exterior colors are primarily dark. Not all of us want dark colors, and I won't have silver, grey or black as exterior colors. And I can't live with a depressing grey interior anymore--I had that for 33 years over numerous cars. (I'm really liking the tan interior of my CR-V.) Black might be OK, but I don't care for how it shows every bit of dirt, dust or flaws; I'm not a slob, but can be picky on how "clean" the interior looks. There is no ivory/tan interior.

I do like the overall package of the Passport--the new trim (front grille especially) really gives it a nicer look. I never had use for a third row seat, so I wouldn't miss it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm very wary of Honda's transmission issues. My kiddo has a 2002 Accord V6 with the notoriously bad B7XA automatic. It's been harsh shifting 1-2 and 3-2, but hasn't gotten any worse over two years. Debating cleaning/replacing solenoids if they are weak, or attempting to replace it myself. We paid so little for the car that I hate to pay more than that to get the transmission replaced.

Yet our two '09 CR-Vs shift buttery smooth, so...

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I had a 2001 Accord V6 that I bought new, and sold it in 2018. 175,000 miles and no transmission issues. I believe the key is to change the trans fluid every 30,000 miles, even after the 100,000 mile mark. Tranny and engine operated smoothly the entire time. Not one problem with either one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a 2001 Accord V6 that I bought new, and sold it in 2018. 175,000 miles and no transmission issues. I believe the key is to change the trans fluid every 30,000 miles, even after the 100,000 mile mark. Tranny and engine operated smoothly the entire time. Not one problem with either one.
It's a fluke--some B7XAs were good, but there are many others that failed, all with the same problem (always in the 1-2 upshift--a very late shift, then very harsh engagement of 2nd). My problem is deciding if we want to get it fixed or sell the car and get something better, even though we paid very little for it. This poor Accord is near 220k miles and lived a rough life. I don't want to dump hundreds into all new front suspension components and timing belt/water pump and then have the transmission take a dump (which is always my luck).

I usually do my transmission fluid changes every few oil changes in our Hondas. Other than the parking pawl in the '97 CR-V going bad and a failed '88 Accord automatic, all the others have been fine. Our two '09 CR-Vs shift like butter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The "its shorter" benefit is pretty subjective... It's only 6" shorter. With removing an entire row of seats I would have expected it to be around 3' shorter not just 6", but in looking at the specs, the cargo space behind the front row and 2nd row are within a few % of the Pilot, so they effectively just made a version of the Pilot without the back seat and slightly more aggressive styling...

·
Registered
25 Posts
The "its shorter" benefit is pretty subjective... It's only 6" shorter. With removing an entire row of seats I would have expected it to be around 3' shorter not just 6", but in looking at the specs, the cargo space behind the front row and 2nd row are within a few % of the Pilot, so they effectively just made a version of the Pilot without the back seat and slightly more aggressive styling...
The six inches does make a nice change to the exterior appearance--maybe less bloated, perhaps? I never had a use for a third row seat, so not having it means nothing to me. But...I had this wild idea with a Pilot to completely remove the third row seat, build up a matching carpeted platform to replace it, and either use it for additional hidden storage, or turn it into a nice big subwoofer enclosure. 😁 When I looked inside the Passport at the dealer, it still seemed plenty roomy behind the second row seats and, never having owned a Pilot, I probably would never miss that extra space.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts