Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
So following up on the alarm issue. Firstly, I just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in.

The alarm went off again at work one day and so I decided to start by unplugging the hood latch sensor as that seemed to be a common problem from Honda’s. Sure enough the problem stopped immediately after and I haven't experienced the annoying alarm going off every 2-5 min since.

It's been 2 weeks since the last incident with the alarm and I believe the hood sensor was the issue. I'll be looking into getting that replaced.

Thanks again everyone!

(Also known as WiseMagnet)

·
Registered
15 Posts
So following up on the alarm issue. Firstly, I just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in.

The alarm went off again at work one day and so I decided to start by unplugging the hood latch sensor as that seemed to be a common problem from Honda’s. Sure enough the problem stopped immediately after and I haven't experienced the annoying alarm going off every 2-5 min since.

It's been 2 weeks since the last incident with the alarm and I believe the hood sensor was the issue. I'll be looking into getting that replaced.

Thanks again everyone!

(Also known as WiseMagnet)
I have been having a similar problem with my 2016 EX-L. Doesn’t happen for months and then all of a sudden, the alarm goes off. I’ve also noticed my dash lighting up like a Christmas tree. Definitely something electrical that is freaking out. I replaced the start / stop button but still having the problem periodically. I ended up installing a battery disconnect so that at night, i can easily pop the hood and disconnect the battery, thus guaranteeing the alarm won’t go off. Oh, forgot to mention i installed a new battery but still had the issue.
I read somewhere else that the main computer that controls this system may need replaced. Im really looking to find someone that had the same issue with same gen car and found a solid fix. Thanks!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,310 Posts
The hood latch disconnect fix is often a solid fix, but sometimes there's another variable: rodents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Pilot that I loved until March 1st.....

I haven't slept in weeks... Took to the mechanic who said the computer stated it was the back hatch. Replaced it...Wasn't the issue kept going off. Next disabled the connection for the sensor. (my female version of the technical terms) and was told IT WILL NOT go off....Yeah well had it back about 2 hours and went off again. Mechanic said it wasn't even showing the alarm went off when he connected laptop. At this point it's been weeks, I'm literally in tears at the mechanic because I have to go into Brooklyn and can't have it going off all night. He suggests disconnecting the horn. Not an option as I have to drive into city. He gives me a look and I leave. Then I see there's an option to put it into valet mode to disarm it. I do this at work and so far so good. Until I have to drive the car again.. it appears the valet mode doesn't "stick". Unless I need to use the valet key to drive? I did find if I hit the unlock button on remote several times the alarm didn't go off during the night...until last night at midnight AND 1am. (temperature dropped outside-coincidence, I don't know ) ANY suggestions? Is there any way without disconnecting the horn to disarm?? IS there a way to leave it unlocked so it does NOT arm itself?? I just moved into a new apt and I have pissed off everyone...I'm sleeping with my keys in my hand, I'm totally stressed, exhausted, and now physically sick. PLEASE HELP ME
Lock the doors then give them a good pull and see if the alarm goes off. I had the same problem with the alarm going off at night for no reason. I tried opening a rear door when it was locked and it set the alarm off. Replaced the door switch and it did the same thing. Taped a small piece of card board right where the switch makes contact on the door jam and haven't had a false alarm since.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lock the doors then give them a good pull and see if the alarm goes off. I had the same problem with the alarm going off at night for no reason. I tried opening a rear door when it was locked and it set the alarm off. Replaced the door switch and it did the same thing. Taped a small piece of card board right where the switch makes contact on the door jam and haven't had a false alarm since.
I wish that was as easy as my issue was. I also have the entire dash going crazy and some electrical noises under the dash.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
14 Posts
I wish that was as easy as my issue was. I also have the entire dash going crazy and some electrical noises under the dash.
Bump on this. I had the dealer replace faulty injectors on my ‘17 Pilot Elite and ever since, have had the alarm going off at crazy times. I thought it was a bad fob because after the 10th time of the alarm going I went into the car and the dash was lighting up all crazy like it was possessed. I pulled the battery on the fob and didn’t hear the alarm go off for days. Then, I go on vacation and the alarm is going off at like 10min intervals. I have two fobs and pulled the batteries on both and ruled out that issue. I eventually unplug the battery on the car so I could sleep. Called the dealer and they have zero clues, worthless. I am going to try the door trick and the hood trick but that doesn’t explain why the dash lights and insane clicking sound behind the dash. This couldn’t be a bad battery could it? Lose connection on battery terminals cause this?

I was thinking to replace the injectors, the mechanics probably disconnected the battery and just slapped it back together? Perhaps some electrical grease on the terminals or some sandpaper to clean up the terminals? I am desperate for any suggestions at this point.

Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hate to hear someone else having this nightmare problem but at the same time, secretly glad so as we can hopefully uncover the true root of this issue.
I too thought the car battery might be the issue. Had it tested by Lexus and autozone and both said it was fine but I changed it anyway as it had some age on it. No luck, problem still happens but super sporadic. No issues for a month and then wham, alarm goes off and dashboard lights like you said. I keep debating having the keyless access control unit replaced. I really wish I was able to do it myself but I believe the car will need reprogrammed against existing keys to start. Super annoying!!

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
14 Posts
I hate to hear someone else having this nightmare problem but at the same time, secretly glad so as we can hopefully uncover the true root of this issue.
I too thought the car battery might be the issue. Had it tested by Lexus and autozone and both said it was fine but I changed it anyway as it had some age on it. No luck, problem still happens but super sporadic. No issues for a month and then wham, alarm goes off and dashboard lights like you said. I keep debating having the keyless access control unit replaced. I really wish I was able to do it myself but I believe the car will need reprogrammed against existing keys to start. Super annoying!!
Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean, I’d hate for someone else to have to deal with this nightmare too, but glad there is someone else. I’ve been combing through forums trying to figure this out and BAM, found your post about the crazy dash lights and the clicking. It’s exact, no door sensors or other common problems. How are you living with this? Unplugging the battery all the time? One suggestion was to leave one of the fobs in the car to prevent it from auto-locking. I am on vacation with other people and thank god I’ve not had to use the car all that much. The car has just been sitting with the battery unplugged for the last couple days. I am tempted to take the car to a local dealer because I don’t want to live with this on the road back home. If it is the keyless access module, I may just pull the trigger on it. It’s not a great situation.

Update: I have an appointment scheduled with the local Honda dealer tomorrow morning and will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I actually installed a battery disconnect on the positive terminal. I pop the hood and disconnect when it starts happening. I then go back to leaving it connected and the out of the blue it happens at the most in opportune time. I look forward to hearing what you find out.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts