Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Pilot that I loved until March 1st.....

I haven't slept in weeks... Took to the mechanic who said the computer stated it was the back hatch. Replaced it...Wasn't the issue kept going off. Next disabled the connection for the sensor. (my female version of the technical terms) and was told IT WILL NOT go off....Yeah well had it back about 2 hours and went off again. Mechanic said it wasn't even showing the alarm went off when he connected laptop. At this point it's been weeks, I'm literally in tears at the mechanic because I have to go into Brooklyn and can't have it going off all night. He suggests disconnecting the horn. Not an option as I have to drive into city. He gives me a look and I leave. Then I see there's an option to put it into valet mode to disarm it. I do this at work and so far so good. Until I have to drive the car again.. it appears the valet mode doesn't "stick". Unless I need to use the valet key to drive? I did find if I hit the unlock button on remote several times the alarm didn't go off during the night...until last night at midnight AND 1am. (temperature dropped outside-coincidence, I don't know ) ANY suggestions? Is there any way without disconnecting the horn to disarm?? IS there a way to leave it unlocked so it does NOT arm itself?? I just moved into a new apt and I have pissed off everyone...I'm sleeping with my keys in my hand, I'm totally stressed, exhausted, and now physically sick. PLEASE HELP ME

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,360 Posts
Do all of your door open/closed switches work properly?
If there is a hood open switch is that working properly?
I’m not sure if disconnecting the fuse to the alarm system will allow the vehicle to start. You might have to remove it each night and install it in the morning.
Other possibility is to disconnect the negative battery cable each night.
MM gave good advice to take the Pilot to a reputable alarm shop if you don’t have the means to tinker with it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honda mechanic told me to tell my mechanic to disconnect the alarm. From what I've read that is not an option because it's tied into the anti theft system. Do you believe an alarm place will be bale to help even though it's a factory installed alarm?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
It sounds like you are at the point where removing the system is the best option.

If your alarm is the Karr system that the dealer or their subcontractors in my area install then it takes 30 minutes tops to cleanly remove it. I pulled that POS out of my wife’s 2005 Pilot and my 2014 Tacoma. Not much had changed on it over the 9 year span.

Not that I’m suggesting you do it yourself but this will give you an idea of the labor involved in case some place tells you it’s a 3 hour job.
1) Disconnect about 10 spade connections to the Pilot’s wiring harness. Leave the wire taps on the wiring harness as removing them will leave exposed wiring which is bad not to mention they don’t come off easily.
2) Remove one ground connection which is likely screwed into the chassis.
3) Remove the connection(s) on the ignition harness and butt splice the wiring back in place.
4) Pull the alarm control unit out and e-waste it.
Get it fixed and get some sleep.

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
I'm willing to try anything....I haven't slept for weeks...neither have my neighbors. :(
Until you get the problem fixed, get a fuse bypass switch and plug it into the fuse for the horn.
Turn the switch off to disable the horn when you park the vehicle for the night and turn it back on in the morning so that the horn will operate while you're driving.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Until you get the problem fixed, get a fuse bypass switch and plug it into the fuse for the horn.
Turn the switch off to disable the horn when you park the vehicle for the night and turn it back on in the morning so that the horn will operate while you're driving.
Thats what I would do until problem solved but would make my own. You see the prices of those things? Im seeing $55-150 for basically an on off switch, fuse holder, some wire and 2 male spade connectors. ebay parts from china under $5, us 10ish

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry but I'm mechanically challenged.... Will they remove the system and install another? Or just remove it and have none? I really could care less if i have one at this point....I don't care if someone steals it as long as I don't have to hear it go off!! I slept with the sunroof open a tad so the car wouldn't lock...

I called an alarm place yesterday and he had 4 suggestions:
1. disconnect hood sensor
2. check all door sensors
3. he'd disconnect horn and replace with after market horn
4. He'd install another key less system

I like your suggestion best though.

Thank you everyone for offer advice...

·
Registered
242 Posts
2011 Pilot that I loved until March 1st.....

I haven't slept in weeks... Took to the mechanic who said the computer stated it was the back hatch. Replaced it...Wasn't the issue kept going off. Next disabled the connection for the sensor. (my female version of the technical terms) and was told IT WILL NOT go off....Yeah well had it back about 2 hours and went off again. Mechanic said it wasn't even showing the alarm went off when he connected laptop. At this point it's been weeks, I'm literally in tears at the mechanic because I have to go into Brooklyn and can't have it going off all night. He suggests disconnecting the horn. Not an option as I have to drive into city. He gives me a look and I leave. Then I see there's an option to put it into valet mode to disarm it. I do this at work and so far so good. Until I have to drive the car again.. it appears the valet mode doesn't "stick". Unless I need to use the valet key to drive? I did find if I hit the unlock button on remote several times the alarm didn't go off during the night...until last night at midnight AND 1am. (temperature dropped outside-coincidence, I don't know ) ANY suggestions? Is there any way without disconnecting the horn to disarm?? IS there a way to leave it unlocked so it does NOT arm itself?? I just moved into a new apt and I have pissed off everyone...I'm sleeping with my keys in my hand, I'm totally stressed, exhausted, and now physically sick. PLEASE HELP ME
Start will simple things first. Could it be possible that panic button on remote is triggering alarm? (accidentally being pressed or defective remote) Move remotes out of range to eliminate this. door, hood, tailgate switch/switches could be ultra sensitive/defective/out of adjustment (don't think there is an adjustment).

"If anything is opened or improperly unlocked after the system is armed, the control unit gets a ground signal from that switch, and the system is set off.

If one of the switches is misadjusted or there is a short in the system, the system will not arm. As long as the control unit continues to get a ground signal, it thinks the vehicle is not closed and locked and will not arm.

An alarm that sounds for no apparent reason may have been set off by a switch that is on the threshold of misadjustment. In this case, it may only take a significant change in outside temperature, the vibration of a passing truck, or someone bumping into the vehicle to make the alarm sound.

Body control module is defective or possibly a corroded connector somewhere in the circuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alarm goes off at worst times

I'm new to this forum. Just got my 2010 Pilot a few months ago. My 2005 Jetta has similar issue. Turns out the alarm horn was under the wipers "cowl", not the same horn as the horn button on the steering wheel activates. By this time I'd begun to junk the car. I ended up cutting the plastic cowl under the wipers and cut the wires to the alarm horn.

It might have all started because one or both rear door power locks stopped working.

Pulling fuses didn't seem to do any good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lately my Pilot has kept me busy with maintenance. Now I face a new problem and it’s exactly like this person is describing it. My alarm keeps going off and it’s driving everyone including myself crazy!!! I’m am not down to disconnect my battery every time I park my car and leave to go somewhere knowing it’s going to go off again in a few minutes later. This is annoying and it’s bringing unnecessary attention to my car. I received 6 calls back to back today when I was at work because my alarm kept going off.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause that? I’ve seen from other models that the hood latch was the main cause. Has anyone else experienced this? What have you done to solve it? I’m not the type of guy that’s interested in temporary fix. However any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Piloteers!

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
If you have a multimeter you could perform a quick continuity check on the hood latch to determine if the switch has gone bad.

You could also try bypassing/disabling sensors one at a time until you find the culprit.

Also check the rats nest of wiring below the steering column and near the emergency brake. It could be as simple as a bad connection.

Reactions: WiseMagnet

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have a multimeter you could perform a quick continuity check on the hood latch to determine if the switch has gone bad.

You could also try bypassing/disabling sensors one at a time until you find the culprit.

Also check the rats nest of wiring below the steering column and near the emergency brake. It could be as simple as a bad connection.
Thank You, I’ll have a look and give it a try. I haven’t thought of the continuity test. At this point I really hope it’s an easy fix lol. Thanks again!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,852 Posts
Sleepless, desperate OP lady in tears never did come back to say how it was resolved.

But try this...
1. disconnect hood sensor
2. check all door sensors

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks! I’ll post an update when I find the cause.
You might take this suggestion as a joke but try and leave your drivers seatbelt latched when you exit the car.

I had an exact issue with my 06 TL and discovered if I leave my seatbelt latched I can lock the doors and alarm wont go off.

Ultimately, I figured out the problem Not long before this happend I replaced my windshield. The shop used a new glue ( I was their guinea pig without being told this ) which didnt seal the windshield good enough. Water would leak and drip down onto the MICU. Which was causing this problem.

Resealed window, let the MICU dry out a bit. Never had the issue again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts