Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Aisin Thermostat

2142 Views 22 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  DrD123
If you ever wondered about the quality. I figured if the make great water pumps, I should be confident that they would not cheap out on a thermostat with their name on it.
Tin Packaging and labeling Gas Font Metal
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
13,321 Posts
Back in ’20 I bit the bullet and bought the $45 OEM thermostat versus $12 Gates. The OEM has a different build quality from the generic thermostat and I didn’t want any issues.
Ok, as promised, I’d report back with my experience with the Aisin thermostat THH-017.
The installation was not without a hitch. Although after a trip to a local auto parts store for the correct gasket, the thermostat is working great. So my advice is, if you buy the Aisin thermostat, be sure and research the gasket needed for your vehicle.
I was sent this….
View attachment 160820
I needed this…..
View attachment 160821

Good to know, but dang, when I replaced my radiator in 2019 I think it was, I don't recall the Aisin being on Rockauto; otherwise, I would surely have gotten it, along with the hoses, instead of the Gates thermostat I went with.

So far, OK, but I shudder to think how much more my days are counted with the Gates and their declining quality in recent years.

Wow, I could have had an Aisin.
Gesture Smile Font Art Electric blue

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good to know, but dang, when I replaced my radiator in 2019 I think it was, I don't recall the Aisin being on Rockauto; otherwise, I would surely have gotten it, along with the hoses, instead of the Gates thermostat I went with.

So far, OK, but I shudder to think how much more my days are counted with the Gates and their declining quality in recent years.

Wow, I could have had an Aisin. View attachment 160957
Not to rub it in or anything but ya, there is obvious difference between OEM/Aisin versus Gates.
Product Serveware Auto part Automotive wheel system Jewellery

[Gates^]
A stuck thermostat will usually cause an engine code. Hopefully it would be detected before the hoses swell.

• Sad
Reactions: plplplpl

· Registered
59 Posts
I replaced the thermostat in the 05 we got this summer using the Aisin THH-017 as well - same experience with the gasket. I did this when I replaced the timing belt and had everything apart when I ran into the incorrect gasket issue. The original one was still in good shape, so I just transferred the old gasket over to the new thermostat and ran with it - seems to be doing just fine (no leaks).

21 - 23 of 23 Posts