Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Aisin Thermostat

2142 Views 22 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  DrD123
If you ever wondered about the quality. I figured if the make great water pumps, I should be confident that they would not cheap out on a thermostat with their name on it.
Tin Packaging and labeling Gas Font Metal
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,621 Posts
I would agree. Of course, thermostats are not high tech or difficult to manufacture. They are not a high cost part, attractive to counterfeiters. This stat is made in Japan, and that’s good. However, I bet that you could buy a high quality equivalent part made in China. Most of the Chinese stuff is good. It better be, that’s where most of your goods are coming from.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would agree. Of course, thermostats are not high tech or difficult to manufacture. They are not a high cost part, attractive to counterfeiters. This stat is made in Japan, and that’s good. However, I bet that you could buy a high quality equivalent part made in China. Most of the Chinese stuff is good. It better be, that’s where most of your goods are coming from.
I have heard of others having trouble with thermostats not working properly that were sold at a high price at your local auto parts store. So it’s not all ways the same quality. Happened recently to a family member who installed a well known brand on a Civic. Had to do the job again with OEM and the problem was solved. There is a noticeable deference in what OEM looks like compared to others. Aisin looks closer to OEM.

This obviously is not…
Product Automotive wheel system Body jewelry Auto part Automotive lighting

· Registered
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back in ’20 I bit the bullet and bought the $45 OEM thermostat versus $12 Gates. The OEM has a different build quality from the generic thermostat and I didn’t want any issues.
Hence why the Aisin is in my opinion a great option for the price.

· Registered
5,831 Posts
With how difficult the OEM thermostat is to access on most modern vehicles (and the fact that I don't want to handle plastic housings more than once) - I usually stick with OEM. High quality aftermarket like Aisin could be alluring but I'd likely go OEM like I have been.

Reactions: RAL

· Registered
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With how difficult the OEM thermostat is to access on most modern vehicles (and the fact that I don't want to handle plastic housings more than once) - I usually stick with OEM. High quality aftermarket like Aisin could be alluring but I'd likely go OEM like I have been.
My thinking as well. 🧠💡
Aisin being an OEM supplier of parts.
Bicycle part Auto part Tool Metal Nickel

· Registered
903 Posts
Back in ’20 I bit the bullet and bought the $45 OEM thermostat versus $12 Gates. The OEM has a different build quality from the generic thermostat and I didn’t want any issues.
I did the same, mostly because I couldn't figure out how to evaluate all the others. It's a simple mechanism, but a failure is inconvenient, at best. I hope some feedback on these is forthcoming.

· Registered
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope some feedback on these is forthcoming.
I’m about to install this Aisin on the 300k mile Crosstour. Will see how it performs and report back. Wished I had replaced it when the plenum was off.

· Registered
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, as promised, I’d report back with my experience with the Aisin thermostat THH-017.
The installation was not without a hitch. Although after a trip to a local auto parts store for the correct gasket, the thermostat is working great. So my advice is, if you buy the Aisin thermostat, be sure and research the gasket needed for your vehicle.
I was sent this….
Rim Automotive tire Window Auto part Circle

I needed this…..
Font Rectangle Circle Brand Logo

· Registered
5,831 Posts
And this was part of the Aisin kit that was not correct or was it a separate item from the thermostat?

Reactions: Nail Grease

· Registered
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And this was part of the Aisin kit that was not correct or was it a separate item from the thermostat?
The gasket (1st pic) was in the box with the thermostat.
I guess the fact that the thermostat would work for my vehicle was enough for RockAuto to list it. It would have been nice to know before I ordered. I could have saved some time and money.

· Registered
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little more research…
Aisin make a thermostat part # THH-009. It’s obviously the same exact thermostat as THH-017 with no gasket in the box.

· Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
A little more research…
Aisin make a thermostat part # THH-009. It’s obviously the same exact thermostat as THH-017 with no gasket in the box.
The OEM thermostat I got from Hondaautomotiveparts.com /majestic came with the correct gasket. Surprised to see that gasket supplied with the Aisin thermostat.

· Registered
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The OEM thermostat I got from Hondaautomotiveparts.com /majestic came with the correct gasket. Surprised to see that gasket supplied with the Aisin thermostat.
I lost an hour + fuel + $6.50 for the correct gasket. As I mentioned, it would have been nice to know that the gasket in the box doesn't fit my vehicle. RockAuto sells the correct Aisin gasket I needed for $2.34. :mad:

· Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
I lost an hour + fuel + $6.50 for the correct gasket. As I mentioned, it would have been nice to know that the gasket in the box doesn't fit my vehicle. RockAuto sells the correct Aisin gasket I needed for $2.34. :mad:
Can’t win them all the time ;) but I think you’re still ahead of the game

· Registered
852 Posts
when I did my cooling system overhaul the other year I did use the aisin t-stat and the aisin seal both from rock auto.
hard to trust parts from local auto stores ever since they sold me a radiator cap that caused the cooling system to over pressurize, blow a hose, crack 2 perfectly good radiators and cause enough coolant loss to cause the front head to crack!

do NOT cheap out on cooling system parts

· Registered
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
when I did my cooling system overhaul the other year I did use the aisin t-stat and the aisin seal both from rock auto.
hard to trust parts from local auto stores ever since they sold me a radiator cap that caused the cooling system to over pressurize, blow a hose, crack 2 perfectly good radiators and cause enough coolant loss to cause the front head to crack!

do NOT cheap out on cooling system parts
I was extremely pleased with the quality of the Aisin thermostat itself. I’d believe it was made by the actual OEM manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts