Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would like to know why people swap out to use Valvoline instead of using the OEM fluid for the trans. It's not because of price since you can get a full case of OEM stuff for under a 100 bucks.. Currently Valvoline 3 Jugs are at 29.99 each

Smoother shifting ? Better performance ? does it last as long in the transmission as the OEM stuff does ?

Also how many miles have you ran the transmission using the Valvoline stuff .. Mine i'm at 257k using oem only wit no issues with the trans .. can valvoline do the same ?
Availability and advice in forums. I replaced an engine in my pilot and need to add transmission fluid. Quick search of Piloteers revealed I could use Valvoline, so I did. 27,000 miles later no issues.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I just snipped this out of my '15 Owners Manual from Honda's site...

And below is the page from a '11 Owners Manual from Honda's site...

I'm not looking to start an argument, you use what you want but to me it is clear they want you to use VTM-4 fluid. I too have worked on many 4WD/AWD cars and so far the Pilot and Acura's w/ SH-AWD are the only ones I know of that require special fluids but since Honda gives zero leeway in the Owner's Manuals I'm not willing to risk damage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just snipped this out of my '15 Owners Manual from Honda's site...

View attachment 134539

And below is the page from a '11 Owners Manual from Honda's site...

View attachment 134540

I'm not looking to start an argument, you use what you want but to me it is clear they want you to use VTM-4 fluid. I too have worked on many 4WD/AWD cars and so far the Pilot and Acura's w/ SH-AWD are the only ones I know of that require special fluids but since Honda gives zero leeway in the Owner's Manuals I'm not willing to risk damage.
I think we are discussing the transmission fluid not the VTM-4 stuff and stuff.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 11 manual contradicts itself. It says GL4 GL5 hypoid oil but also says use VTM -4 which is just honda branded stuff. Honda doesnt make it. I put the besr GL5 made in so Im not worried. And Maxlife was transmission.

Actually I stand corrected. It says gear oil for the transfer case dammit
Ill be going and getting some VTM 4 tomorrow and swapping that out now. Shit. I read that wrong

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The 11 manual contradicts itself. It says GL4 GL5 hypoid oil but also says use VTM -4 which is just honda branded stuff. Honda doesnt make it. I put the besr GL5 made in so Im not worried. And Maxlife was transmission.

Actually I stand corrected. It says gear oil for the transfer case dammit
Ill be going and getting some VTM 4 tomorrow and swapping that out now. Shit. I read that wrong
You did what........???? oh hell no I hope I read that wrong ! 🥂 🍻 🤪

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ill be flushing my diff and putting the right fluid in tomorrow
Your making us Canadians look bad HAHAHAHAHHHAAHAHAHAHAHHA .... glad you caught it :)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Manual says GL-5 SAE 75-W90 or equivelent VTM-4 gear oil.

I think you may be confusing the the rear VTM-4 and the front transfer case, two separate entities.

Here' s what your manual says:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Edit: Oh man, everybody beat me to it. I didn't see that there was a page 2 before I posted above. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's ok, but in my defense I've used the full synthetic gear oil in at least 3 rear diffs on AWD/4WD SUV's I really tricked myself and read the 2 sections as one. I actually spent 2X the $$ putting the wrong fluid in too which hurts as I will have to dump and dispose of it now. I am glad I made the comment in here and cintocrunch and others pointed it out, IDK if I've done any damage but less than 1000K have been put on the truck since so I hope not. Swinging by Honda at lunch to get the VTM-4 and will do the messy swap tonight during a blizzard LOL. All that said the transmission seems to be great with the Maxlife.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If a problem doesn't present itself before you swap it out I'd say you are fine... maybe look to do an early change on it in a couple months when it gets warmer just to try and get whatever gear oil is leftover out of the diff.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bought my 2014 Pilot Touring with 80k miles and have been using Maxlife tranny fluid and doing a drain and fill at every oil change. $18 a jug at Walmart.

I also use Mobil1 75-90 synthetic for my Transfer case fluid and Honda VTM diff fluid on my Rear differential.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If a problem doesn't present itself before you swap it out I'd say you are fine... maybe look to do an early change on it in a couple months when it gets warmer just to try and get whatever gear oil is leftover out of the diff.
Yep, I'll be doing that. Thanks again.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts