Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
pump replacement should be last ditch option. o-rings first, reservoir replacement second or at same time as a fluid flush. can order everything at the dealer or online. dorman even makes the o-ring kit but I would go honda

pump replacement should be last ditch option. o-rings first, reservoir replacement second or at same time as a fluid flush. can order everything at the dealer or online. dorman even makes the o-ring kit but I would go honda
+1 on the plan of attack and definitely OEM O-rings! For a few bucks they may be one of the least expensive parts from the dealer.

Posted Tuesday night:
It’s been below freezing like 15-25 F most mornings when I drive the kids to school, 3 miles round trip all low rpms, but enough to warm up the car. I drove it tonight 35 F and there was no whine to investigate. Hmm… I will have to see what it’s like the next two mornings. It will be 18 F Thursday morning.

Edit: Wednesday morning:
It was 20-22 F this morning and the whine was back with vengeance. I popped the hood while the car was running after doing several lock-to-lock full turns, and saw this milkshake looking fluid. Maybe that’s all air bubbles, but my gut is telling me to drain and fill the fluid. Perhaps I can figure out how to replace the o-rings while at it, and where those o-rings go of course.

Edit 2: Wednesday morning:

I’ve got a 2006 ridgeline too, but haven’t had any problems with it (yet). This looks like the best shipping time and price to buy on Amazon. Maybe it’s worth checking my local dealer and the other site, as it’s possible these o-rings are not Honda brand.

5pcs Inlet & Outlet O-Ring Seal Kit for HONDA Power Steering Pump 91345-RDA-A01 & 91370-SV4-000 Made of Fluorocarbon (Viton) Amazon.com: 5pcs Inlet & Outlet O-Ring Seal Kit for HONDA Power Steering Pump 91345-RDA-A01 & 91370-SV4-000 Made of Fluorocarbon (Viton) : Automotive

I guess I will need some PS fluid too. Right?

Honda 08206-9002PE Power Steering Fluid Pack of 3 Amazon.com: Honda 08206-9002PE Power Steering Fluid Pack of 3 : Automotive

So I wonder where the other o-ring goes. The first video in post #5 above for the first o-ring on the suction side was very helpful, even showing the part number needed, which matches the link provided above too.

So in trying to figure out where o-ring 2 goes (pressure side of pump above I assume), I clicked on diagram link above, and see the diagram shows the inlet / suction o-ring is included with the PS pump itself. I’m pretty sure this is where the guy in the video in post-5 replaced the o-ring. Perhaps part 25 in this diagram is the pressure side o-ring which is the second one everyone talks about replacing and comes with every suction side o-ring on Amazon.

looking at this I am not seeing a return line o-ring on the pump, only a pressure side o-ring

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/resou...21/large/f34d821f4ce2ae894b779985aea93c9a.png

I'm pretty sure only the 1st gen Pilots PS pump had the inlet & outlet pump o-rings.
I’m not sure what model the diagram link you posted refers to, but as you can see above, it doesn’t break down the PS pump. So maybe that’s why the culprit o-ring isn’t shown in this diagram.

this milkshake looking fluid. Maybe that’s all air bubbles,

Watch the video again carefully. Not only will you learn exactly where the new orange o-ring goes (don't bother with the other one unless the first one doesn't solve things -- unlikely), but you'll also learn that the technical term for what you observed is, and I quote, "pukin'." :)

Get the new orange-flavored o-ring. :)

But it's as good a time as any to put in some new PS fluid, too.

Attention OEM shoppers!

Get the Blue Light Special on the Orange O-ring. Only 67¢! (Conditions may apply.)

Just to pile on to existing advice: frothy, milkshakey, air bubbly PS fluid is evidence of air entering the system. The most likely culprit is the high-pressure side O-ring. Start by replacing the fluid, the O-rings, and making sure you have the right fluid level.

--Chris N.

Just to pile on to existing advice: frothy, milkshakey, air bubbly PS fluid is evidence of air entering the system. The most likely culprit is the high-pressure side O-ring. Start by replacing the fluid, the O-rings, and making sure you have the right fluid level.

--Chris N.
Hi pressure side would squirt out fluid, not suck in air. Don’t you think the same?

Always good to hear a success story, especially if the fix is relatively cheap and easy.

You have earned the coveted PIloteers Banana Dance of Success.
Toy Beard Electric blue Event Font

Hopefully I’m not too late to the conversation, but I’ve been foghting air in my system for weeks. 07 pilot, replaced pump, new reservoir, new hose from pump to reservoir, and new o rings. Had turned the wheel from lock to lock at least 100 times and there is still air in the system. Seems like it’s getting worse. Should I replace the high pressure hose? There wasn’t any fluid leaking that I know of before I started replacing parts.

Hopefully I’m not too late to the conversation, but I’ve been foghting air in my system for weeks. 07 pilot, replaced pump, new reservoir, new hose from pump to reservoir, and new o rings. Had turned the wheel from lock to lock at least 100 times and there is still air in the system. Seems like it’s getting worse. Should I replace the high pressure hose? There wasn’t any fluid leaking that I know of before I started replacing parts.
There are 2 o rings, did you replace both to rule that out?

Reactions: ConrodM
OEM Pump, and Fluid?
Thanks

21 - 40 of 59 Posts