Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Air in power steering system

14K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  mknmike 
#1 ·
Air keeps getting into my power steering system new rack , pump and high pressure line don't see any leaks any where. I purge it several times works for a few minutes then start making noise again what else to be done.

#53 · (Edited)
Gonna revive this thread a bit. Our 2008 Pilot EX-L (kids' car) started groaning a couple of weeks ago. Fluid frothy and low. Groans loudly when cold, noise mostly goes away when warm. I was just gonna top it up and see if that did the trick, but I'm not sure where "cold full" should be. I think it has hash marks on the side of the reservoir but it's pretty dirty and I'm not sure I can tell from the outside. Any guidance how full it should be when looking inside?
If the noise does not go away, or returns, I'll replace the O-ring as discussed and shown in the nice YouTube video. Many thanks folks.
Cheers

#54 ·
A high mileage 08 Pilot also likely needs rubber hose return lines replaced (metal ones too if rust is an issue). The wire clamps cut into the rubber, split and rot. I’d also replace wire clamps with better quality hose clamps. I use aftermarket hoses sold on RockAuto. Reservoir level marks are on the side. Power Steering Fluid flush should be performed every 50k miles. Genuine Honda Fluid only, but I am successfully using a full synthetic made by LubeGard (item# 24242) specifically for Honda.

#55 ·
So I went ahead and got the orange o-ring as noted in the TSB and identified in this thread. I also got a new reservoir.
I suspect the filter at the bottom is all gummed up and starving the pump when cold. When the ambient temps are warm, there is no noise, and likewise when the car warms up in cold weather.
So I'm going to just swap those two things to start.
I found a nice straightforward video:

After installation and refill, he's suggesting turning the wheel lock-to-lock before starting the car. Does that sound right?
Cheers

#57 ·
I read that, and it was helpful conceptually. But I'm not flushing the system per se, am I? I'm pinching off/ capping the two hoses and swapping the reservoir, not trying to squirt fluid out of the return line. Should I still turn the wheel lock-to-lock after filling the new reservoir, without starting the engine, as advised? Can't hurt i suppose.
I appreciate your continued patience with an amateur wrencher like myself...
Cheers

#58 ·
Sorry , yes, the concept of turning the steering wheel lock to lock with wheels off the ground to prevent air from entering the system or introducing air is the same. After installing new reservoir, fill, (engine off) turn steering wheel lock to lock to remove air.

#59 ·
Glad to see this thread got revived. My daughter complained of groaning, and sure enough the PS was frothy. I grabbed the unopened bottle I had o-rings for my ridgeline taped to and outed some in. Groaning went away. Looked a little like the high pressure side of mine might be leaking. I observed a little wiggle in the low side too, but I recall that never feeling real tight when doing this job before.

I guess I will be back if the groaning comes back. How many years has this been? Edit: only 2 years. Weak. Must be something other than o-ring. Maybe clamps and low side hose need replacement or something else.