Reasons not to buy a 2016 Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
post #1 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reasons not to buy a 2016 Honda Pilot

Please share things you didn't like about the 2016 Third Generation Honda Pilot.

1. No 8-seat option for US Elite (and Canadian Touring)

2. No LED headlights for non Elite models in US (or non Touring in Canada). Mediocre stock halogens are installed. Many were installing alternatives - Aftermarket LED or HID headlights on 2016 Honda Pilot

3. No USB power in the 2nd/3rd model except US Elite or Cdn Touring.

4. Top part of the windshield was not tinted, all models.

I don't hate my Pilot. In fact, I love it. But it doesn't mean there aren't thing I dislike about it.

Let's see if the mods wil move this thread to the wasteland too.

[Updated on Mar 27 to include points raised by others]

5. Poor reception to FM radio stations, the sound constantly fades in and out during driving. See the buried 50+ page thread - http://www.piloteers.org/forums/19-a...y-problem.html

6. The factory subwoofer is so weak that is almost non-existent. Modification to after-market sub is complicated as it will conflict with the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system. See this thread - Anc

7. The Idle Engine Stop (for US Elite and Canadian Touring) turned "on" by default every time you turn on the car. If you don't want it, you have to turn it off manually each time you turn of the car. See - Idle Stop -- Suggestions for Honda

8. No Apple Carplay. Not really an "issue", but those that absolutely have to have this should no purchase this vehicle.

9. The wimpy horn - Wimpy Horn

10. One more, for the Canadian Pilots only. Every time you start the car, the infotainment system displays the same safety warning message, and you MUST press "OK" in order for the message to go away. Did I mention that you must do this each time you start the car? If not, it locks the screen to a clock display. Then you have to press "back" and then "OK" to unlock the screen. Yes, it is a minor annoyance, not an issue. But it's just really really ANNOYING!!
stonetemple and L-Dub like this.

2016 Pilot EXL RES (Canadian)

Last edited by tuscanybay; 03-27-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Updated according to others' suggestions (Mar 27)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Oh, by the way, some owners are also having issues with the infotainment systems:
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/19-a...y-problem.html
L-Dub likes this.

post #3 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:38 PM

Negative, negative, negative. Buy a Honda Pilot that suits your needs or myself wants. If you want more spend more, or get what you need.
post #4 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanybay View Post
Please share things you didn't like about the 2016 Third Generation Honda Pilot.

1. No LED headlights for non Elite.

2. No USB power in the 2nd/3rd model except Elite.

3. Top part of the windshield was not tinted.

Let's see if the mods wil move this thread to the wasteland too.

The Touring has USB in the second row.

2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Morimoto HID kit w/ Relay
**Cquartz coating coming soon**
post #5 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRod407 View Post
The Touring has USB in the second row.
Thank you. Post updated.

post #6 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:06 AM

For what it’s worth, when i was venting about my stereo, I was amazed at the few folks who would just bash about how I couldn’t afford the car, how the car was perfect, and how I had anger issues. I kept waiting for the intercom to say "(enter user name here) you have a sales call line one! (enter user name here) you have a sales call on line one, customer waiting!" I mean what gives? Many people (if not the entire fleet) have (has) issues with their radios, let them vent. They paid upwards of $40K on this ride, some of which can barely can afford this car. However that is not the issue, the issue is Honda has put out and continues to put out a substandard product. And that is unacceptable.

For those who don't have (or think they don’t have the same issue), you don’t have to belittle those who are venting. I mean, they are really fighting your fight. They are putting Honda on notice to make the needed changes to this car so that you will have a better product, better resale values. If you actually have the car, own the car and your radio is fine, what value do you add by saying “Mine is fine, must be you”? Especially, since there are many documented cases of where the system is substandard using ALL inputs to the stereo.

I was one of the first to note the tranny issue (recall), roof rack poor installation (recall) and the radio (pending partial recall). I was bullied by a few, but I know that I was right and I felt bad when others would say, "I thought that he was just complaining and now I have the same issue. What do I do?" I have received many PM’s of folks saying “what do I do?” all I could say is open a case and hopefully Honda will get it right. But there are many (to many if you ask me) Who are on full blast, saying that there is no issues, just adding confusion to the issue. If your radio has no issues then go to the thread for folks who have no issues!

Truth be told, I bet that some of you have more skin in the game than you let on to have. I am 99 positive that there are several folks on this forum are employed by Honda in some capacity or another. In fact, I would be disappointed in Honda if there wasn't. However, I would expect those folks to assist members with their issues, not to be an accessory to deception. I would also expect those members to reach out to engineering and sales to report what is being mentioned by the end users so that corrections could be made for the 2016 Pilot not the 2017 Pilot as it is rumored.

To those who say "You can afford the car, that why you are complaining". Or “just give the remote to the 4 year old kid in back to start the DVD" that is plain rude and it adds no value to the conversation.

"(enter user name here) you have a sales call line one! (enter user name here) you have a sales call on line one, customer waiting!"

2016 Pilot Elite
6/2015 build date
7/21/2015 purchase date
Sold with 6200 miles on
2/27/2016
post #7 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:12 AM

Yeah I don't have the car anymore, but someone needs to stick up for the little guy who is getting ready to get reamed! You do your due diligence and you run into a rigged game. You can't win for trying. This is capitalism at its worst! I wonder if this is part of the reason why Burnie and the Donald are doing so well....

2016 Pilot Elite
6/2015 build date
7/21/2015 purchase date
Sold with 6200 miles on
2/27/2016
post #8 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dub View Post
Yeah I don't have the car anymore, but someone needs to stick up for the little guy who is getting ready to get reamed! You do your due diligence and you run into a rigged game. You can't win for trying. This is capitalism at its worst! I wonder if this is part of the reason why Burnie and the Donald are doing so well....
It is just a car. Enjoy your health. Spend time with your loved ones.

The Pilot is still a great vehicle. I would buy it again despite of the minor things I don't like. I am realistic, and would never ask for a perfect vehicle. There is not such a thing.

What really bothered me was the way dirt got swept under the rug here.
jshirley and mistarter like this.

Last edited by tuscanybay; 03-26-2016 at 12:27 AM.
post #9 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:47 AM

Again, the Touring has USB in the 2nd row. Swing and a miss on your part. Glad you fixed it in your edit.

2016 Pilot Touring AWD - Black/Grey
WeatherTech floor mats, Moon Roof Visor, Trailer Hitch w/ATF cooler.
post #10 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 01:01 AM

If your cons are only Elite has this, and only Elite has that, maybe you should have bought an Elite!
post #11 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 01:15 AM

I have a problem with my weak booming stereo but that is a minor issue. It all depends on the individual. The car is big and looks great.
tuscanybay likes this.
post #12 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz View Post
If your cons are only Elite has this, and only Elite has that, maybe you should have bought an Elite!

This Pilot is the first new car that I don't buy the version with all the bells and whistles. I just couldn't go the route of captains seats in the second row, so I had to stick with the Touring. It's a shame, there were a couple small features that I would've loved on this vehicle. Like LEDs lights.
tuscanybay likes this.

2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Morimoto HID kit w/ Relay
**Cquartz coating coming soon**
post #13 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 02:41 AM

I'm 100% certain that every one of your points are easily discovered by test driving and spending a bit of time checking out the vehicle. It's not as though someone told you that those items were included, and then you discovered they weren't when you got it home.

My point is, if the car doesn't fit your needs and desires, don't buy it. I'm sure you can find what you are looking for somewhere else.

That said, numbers 2, 3 and 4 are all very easy to change, and for fairly cheap.
post #14 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrusDave View Post
I'm 100% certain that every one of your points are easily discovered by test driving and spending a bit of time checking out the vehicle. It's not as though someone told you that those items were included, and then you discovered they weren't when you got it home.

My point is, if the car doesn't fit your needs and desires, don't buy it. I'm sure you can find what you are looking for somewhere else.

That said, numbers 2, 3 and 4 are all very easy to change, and for fairly cheap.
Thank you for your insights. Like MiRod407, I need the 8 seats, and a screen in the 2nd row. In Canada, that means only one choice: EXL RES. I couldn't have more even I was prepared to pay more.

Anyway, this thread is NOT about buyers remorse. I was fully aware of what I was buying, and as I said, I love my Pilot.

This thread is about sharing information with perspective buyers, so they could make an informed decision for their purchases too.
Kevin Liu likes this.

post #15 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw7 View Post
I have a problem with my weak booming stereo but that is a minor issue. It all depends on the individual. The car is big and looks great.
Good point, and the inability to install an aftermarket sub easily:
Anc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: