Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

161 - 180 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
16 pilot elite- chirping , needed new transmission- culprit is same as above cooler leaking into tranny- after new transmissio, even after update the car lurched when stopping from about 30mph as the transmission synchronised with 3rd gear- very scary- somewhat better after 2-3 weeks of tranny learning- wasnt happy and went back to the dealer today and ther is a New software update released today - 30455 - It seems to have helped substantially
After 2.5 weeks at dealership for whistling sound, rattling sounds, Transmisson jerking, clicking sounds. They fixed all of them, here are the fixes
1. Whistling sound - fuel pump replaced
2. Tranny jerking - software update
3. Rattling sounds - from dash, fixed
4. Clicking sound - when they replaced tranny in my car couple of weeks ago, mechanic didn't do a good job. This is the result of it, they fixed it.
Atleast for now, I don't see any issues while driving. Touring build date is 08/15, at this point my car has been with dealership for 28 cumulative days.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Thanks, Yoda, but that is the TSB 16-008 that was "released" in January 2016. That's why I'm puzzled that some dealers are claiming "an update just came in" and it's just what some owners need. Of course, I had to tell my dealer about it back in February, in order to get it installed. Oh well.

Would a dealer really install a new transmission without checking the software of the transmission controller and engine controller? The mind boggles.

I think the format of the TSBs is year released followed by a counter, so 15-075 cited above would have come out in 2015. Campaigns ( voluntary recalls ) seem to have other designations, although they typically are associated with a TSB. Campaigns 13-001 and 13-024 were software updates for problems in early 2016 Pilots with door lock settings, odometer, cruise control and other bugs. These also had TSBs 15-073, 15-074 and 15-075.

Crmguy0003, 15-075 was applied for problems after transmission replacement? [edit ] 15-075 is 12k mile warranty extension because of odometer bug in early 2016 Pilots. I had forgotten it also extends powertrain warranty and emissions warranty. Maybe you will get a warranty extension.

View attachment 15-075_JW1_.PDF

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looking for a new pilot now. I can find Tourings all over the place, but EXL with sensing is tough to find. Do they have the 9 speed sorted out at this point with the new software, or do I need to get the EXL?

MDX base is an option, but same 9 speed with I am assuming the same problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, they said 15-075 is for tranny jerking etc., they did mention that my all warranties have been extended by 12k cuz of software update related to odometer bug.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looking for a new pilot now. I can find Tourings all over the place, but EXL with sensing is tough to find. Do they have the 9 speed sorted out at this point with the new software, or do I need to get the EXL?

MDX base is an option, but same 9 speed with I am assuming the same problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you can wait, wait for 2017 to buy as 16s have lot of issues. Im assuming they will fix all the issues in 17 models. Even pilots with 6 speed trannys are being reported with issues, look up 6 speed tranny issues, you will find bunch of them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks, Yoda, but that is the TSB 16-008 that was "released" in January 2016. That's why I'm puzzled that some dealers are claiming "an update just came in" and it's just what some owners need. Of course, I had to tell my dealer about it back in February, in order to get it installed. Oh well.

Would a dealer really install a new transmission without checking the software of the transmission controller and engine controller? The mind boggles.

I think the format of the TSBs is year released followed by a counter, so 15-075 cited above would have come out in 2015. Campaigns ( voluntary recalls ) seem to have other designations, although they typically are associated with a TSB. Campaigns 13-001 and 13-024 were software updates for problems in early 2016 Pilots with door lock settings, odometer, cruise control and other bugs. These also had TSBs 15-073, 15-074 and 15-075.

Crmguy0003, 15-075 was applied for problems after transmission replacement? [edit ] 15-075 is 12k mile warranty extension because of odometer bug in early 2016 Pilots. I had forgotten it also extends powertrain warranty and emissions warranty. Maybe you will get a warranty extension.

View attachment 94425
I checked with Honda the other day when I posted this to see if there were any newer ZF9 TSBs than the A16-008 that was done to mine a few months ago & was told that it's the latest service bulletin out... My guess is that they'll wait now to see if they need to issue a recall on the bad connection found in some of these earlier released trannnys. I hope they had it solved before they started slapping them in the Pilots...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Didn't see this posted yet so here you go:

2016 Honda Pilot Elite Review - Long-Term Update 4

How the writer describes the transmission is how I would also describe the radio: "slop".
My car drive is totally different ever since they replaced tranny ! god help me. Even after software update, tranny jerks not so often it use to be before though, they messed up by rear view camera when i took it to dealership last time and i don't have much time to take it back to dealership. What a pain...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like it's time to have a discussion with the GM of your dealership, and or time to find a different dealer... Life's too short to be upset all the time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thats why i dumped it with 4k miles..My Lexus is awesome.....Tranny got progressively worse after the update.. Wasnt gonna take more of a hit by having it go out on me..

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well, we can add poorman to the 9 speed trans replacement. He got the call today from the dealer - their try did not solve the squeak. Service manager used some of those sound things you can place on cars to detect where noises are coming from, made a recording - poorman will get a copy soon - and sent it to Honda.

Honda wants the trans, so poorman gets a new one.

Again, no coolant mixing in the trans fluid so this is something else ? :shrug:

So, 16 months and 21,301 and time for major surgery. It's a free replacement, just have to drive the 2016 Civic with ~1K miles loaner they gave me for longer.......still have ~20 months and ~27K left on the "bumper to bumper" warranty so life is good.....remember since poorman was one of the early ones with the odo recall his warranty got extended to 48K miles.

Life goes on boys and girls :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
poorman212 - What was your symptom that required replacement?

·
Registered
379 Posts
It is back a few pages....short answer, have to be at work soon.

Slowing down from speed, say 30mph, let the car get to ~24 mph and give it a slight acceleration and you will hear a "squeak". Again I hope to get the audio clip from the service manager in the next few days.

Drive it like you stole it, no issues. Normal driving, no issues, just the squeak at certain times. No codes or any other issues :shrug:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Replacement delayed.

I was worried about this over the weekend and called today to see. Sure enough the repair/replacement of the trans will be delayed for "some time".

The town/area where my dealer is located got hit hard by the storm/hurricane that came near NC - Rocky Mount NC. WHne I called the service manager this am to see how everyone there "made it" through the storm he told me his lead tech was hit hard and would be a few days before he could return to work. I told him I was fine with that, it is just a car and this guy has more to worry about - his house, family, ect - than some piece of metal and part pieces.

So it may be a week before they even start working on it.....I guess I'll learn to drive the 2016 Civic - loaner they gave me - like I stole it :). It is not like I have a long trip planned or scheduled anytime soon....if one comes up, I have the old trusty 07 Pilot that we can take/use.

Some might get wound up over something like this....me, I'm more worried that "people" are safe and get their "stuff" together than my hunk of metal called a 2016 Pilot....it is a car, get over it.

So as stated, it could be more than a week before I can report on how the "transplant" goes. Until then, happy reading :)

161 - 180 of 682 Posts