Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

121 - 140 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I need to take my vechicle back to dealer but I am busy with personal stuff and I can't take it back for atleast 1-2 weeks and I see couple
Of issues as of now. This will be 3rd time I have to take it back to dealer and I hate it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Couple of weeks ago ... It started making chirping sound when shifting gears, took it to dealer and they analyzed to tell me that tranny cooler is faulty, it broke and messed up tranny and had to be replaced.
Was the "chirp" on all gear shifts or just certain ones? Poorman might be in the same boat.

He has been driving the 16 Touring AWD daily for the last three weeks, wife is recovering from surgery, and began to hear a "chirp"/"squeak every now and then.....hard to hear when the radio is all they way up :)

Spent the last week with the radio turned down :( trying to listen for it and see the "conditions" at which it happened. Found that if I let the car slow down from speed to ~25 MPH and then give it gas, the chirp/squeak happens.

So after ~15 months and almost 21K miles, the darn thing might need major surgery :(. Will be at the dealer next weekend to see what they say....until then, poorman will turn the radio up and still drive like he stole it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sorry that your tranny is complaining : (

Was the "chirp" on all gear shifts or just certain ones? Poorman might be in the same boat.

He has been driving the 16 Touring AWD daily for the last three weeks, wife is recovering from surgery, and began to hear a "chirp"/"squeak every now and then.....hard to hear when the radio is all they way up :)

Spent the last week with the radio turned down :( trying to listen for it and see the "conditions" at which it happened. Found that if I let the car slow down from speed to ~25 MPH and then give it gas, the chirp/squeak happens.

So after ~15 months and almost 21K miles, the darn thing might need major surgery :(. Will be at the dealer next weekend to see what they say....until then, poorman will turn the radio up and still drive like he stole it.
poorman212, anchor3n1 is duly impressed and genuinely pleased by your excellent 3rd person speak post. But... On a more serious note, he is sad to hear that poorman212's '16 may have a serious tranny issue:frown:

anchor3n1 hopes the dealership gives poormam212 proper attention and that it is resovlved to everyone's satisfaction.

"Looking forward to hearing a good out come." - anchor3n1

·
Registered
79 Posts
Chirping sound was happening when shifting from 2nd to 3rd most of the time. My car still not alright, I see some jerking now(not routinely) and some clicking sound when turning, breaking and slowing down. I hate taking it to dealership, this car is acting up like as if I bought a $1500 car for a first timer. I'm taking it back to dealer next week.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Chirping sound was happening when shifting from 2nd to 3rd most of the time. My car still not alright, I see some jerking now(not routinely) and some clicking sound when turning, breaking and slowing down. I hate taking it to dealership, this car is acting up like as if I bought a $1500 car for a first timer. I'm taking it back to dealer next week.
Poorman thanks you for responding. Your description sounds different but similar. He will update next weekend after a trip to the dealer. If it is the trans, wonder what the trade in value is against another 16 Pilot :eek:

Back to happy reading.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In my case, if I get rid of this one then I am not getting another pilot period. There are lot of cars to choose from and for the amount I paid I can get nice premium car, I have decided nothing to buy from honda other then civic and accord. On the other hand, I love pilot except for the issues which keeps coming up.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The tranny must have been the issue that I was WARNED against. Honda, Please take care of your customers. I must say; my Honda lawnmower is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The lemon is from a different brand/class altogether. I can't go into specifics because we are still going through the legal process, but I can tell you it is an american made off road vehicle that I purchased for myself. The process in Florida takes about 3 months if you are successful in arbitration and costs about $2-5k between legal fees and mileage offset (definitely not a fun experience).

My wife drives a BMW X5 which has been great and trouble free for 20k miles. We simply would like a three seat third row and captain's chairs if possible which is why we looked at the Odyssey and now the Pilot. I'll be keeping her X5 for myself once my "lemon" goes back to the manufacturer.

I did test drive a June built Pilot Elite today and it felt great. I did notice when I tried to pass on the highway that it struggled for less than second to find the correct gear but otherwise no issues; downshifts felt normal. Maybe I need to drive it for a longer period which is tough on a test drive or I am used to the X5s 8 Speed ZF.

I asked the dealer about the 2017 and he said they can already order them but don't expect them until November/December and I can't wait that long to return the "lemon", guess I have to take a chance with the 2016 Elite or get over my dislike for minivans and get the Odyssey...
....or go shop the Toyota Sienna which can be had in AWD (but only seats 7 in AWD), and has seen a few upgrades for 2017 including the new DI engine and 8 speed transmission if you're into the new powertrain technology. Heck, take a look at the Highlander while you're there...

That's what we did... hearts set on the new Pilot and, well, I'm not even going to go there. Needed a 3-row and looked at the van offerings... The "tried and true" drivetrain of the 2016 Sienna along with the old "bland" styling (that I'm a fan of) and optional AWD sold me on the Toyota. I can't think of anything that the Pilot can do that the Sienna can't do EXCEPT carry people and tow at the same time (which, to be honest, I'm not sure I'd really trust the ZF to *actually* do).

Vans really aren't for everyone. Obviously (that's why the Pilot even exists these days). But if you're able to get over any insecurities relating to what strangers and neighbors may think of you, they really are the best tool for the job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update Pt. 2

Just a quick update as to where I'm at with my Elite. After having my tranny, replaced the dealer was unable to update the software to the newest version, so an IT consultant came in and "reset the whole system" which they say allowed them to update both the tranny and the nav. unit.

Generally the tranny shifts ok except for somewhat unrefined initial upshifts and downshifts under light braking, especially going down hill. So I took the Pilot in again and drove around with the service manager. Great guy. He agreed that the downshifts and the Tach jumps stood out. We both agreed that once the car gets going, the tranny is very smooth and the engine is in the sweet spot.

The service manager then took me out in a newer Touring. The tranny behaved similarly. So I'm chalking the lack of refinement in low gears and downshifts in my car to characteristics of the tranny and not a malfunction. It's just going through a bunch of gears on acel, but downshifts and Tach jumps could be improved IMHO. The tranny is the only dissatisfier at this point, in part because it shifts worse than the Toyota Carolla I got as a loaner and in part because Honda should have been proactive on replacing the defective tranny coolers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have all the issues you are describing after tranny replacement, did you notice whinning sound when backing up after replacement ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have the "tone," scrubber may have cracked the code on that one. The headunit update re-activates "traffic alerts" and undid my selection of "mute" in the navigation options. So I've made those adjustments but have not yet had the chance to drive it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To everyone who is having the unfortunate tranny issue: could you guys pls share your pilot build date if possible (it's found on driver side door)? I want to know if this issue is prevalent on earlier built pilot Tourings (before 06/2016) or even on later pilots. Does anyone know if Honda was able to fix this issue on later builds (after 06/2016 or so)? TIA

·
Registered
379 Posts
Poorman's Pilot is a June 2015 - May 2015 chassis date (chassis date can be found under the pass side floor mat - lift mat, open plastic cover, date stamped into chassis).

Poorman took the 16 Touring AWD to the dealer today and took the service Manager for a short drive....he can make the noise happen or not happen. Service Manager and Tech "played" with car for another hour.

Somewhat happy to report that Service Manager says issue is with o-rings on/in the valve body and not the "heat ex-changer" - meaning no coolant in the trans fluid........might have dodged a bullet :eek:. Service Manager is calling Honda on Monday to order parts and get warranty claim started. Once Service Manager does that he will call/e-mail poorman for next steps.

Service Manager threw in free oil change (was at 15% left), gave the car back to poorman and said he would be in contact after speaking with Honda.......poorman continues to "drive it like he stole it" and will report back on next steps once Service Manager contacts him.

Running at 20,679 miles when it left dealer this am.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Somewhat happy to report that Service Manager says issue is with o-rings on/in the valve body and not the "heat ex-changer" - meaning no coolant in the trans fluid........might have dodged a bullet :eek:.
So if I read your previous posts correctly, your "chirp" seemed to happen when you stomped the gas pedal? Please keep us posted on whether their proposed fix solves it. I also have a mystery chirp/squawk. I don't usually have the audio going except on long solo trips, so I hear everything... :frown:

·
Registered
379 Posts
So if I read your previous posts correctly, your "chirp" seemed to happen when you stomped the gas pedal? Please keep us posted on whether their proposed fix solves it. I also have a mystery chirp/squawk. I don't usually have the audio going except on long solo trips, so I hear everything... :frown:
No, if you stomp on it, no noise just goes like a bat out of hell :). To make it happen, get the car to speed, say about 30 MPH, let off the gas and as it slows to 24 mph (yes that seems to be the magic number) give it just a little bit of gas and the "squeak" happens.....if you let it slow down more, say 20 mph, no noise. Get in the gas sooner, say 27 mph, no noise.

At least my ocd about fluids will not bother me as much. With the repair "try" - they will have to change the trans fluid.....for FREE :). Yes I try to look for the bright side of things....I try not to be someone who only sees the "bad side" of things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought my pilot touring 2 weeks ago from carmax.

I already sent it in and got the transmission update the next day after buying it. however it is still just as jerky as ever when braking and driving in slow traffic.

Is there anything at all that can be done about this?

Can this be considered a lemon? Like I said its only two weeks old.

·
Registered
79 Posts
9-speed trannys are a big issue! Honda s me up with touring big time. For past 2 months, my touring has been with dealership for more then 3 weeks and they gave me a loaner called Chevy Cruz! FL lemon is not buyer friendly, as long as manufacturer is able to fix it.. We are supposed to keep the car!!!! Unbelievable.

121 - 140 of 660 Posts