Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

681 - 700 of 705 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
As far as I know there is no way to disable the start/stop function on the 2017 and newer pilots. The 2016 yes but the wiring changed in 2017 and green wire disappeared and the power wire became momentary. If there is a permanent method to disable this function in the newer pilots I hope someone can point it out without having to read 5000 posts. o_O
Check out posts #18. #20, and #27 of the following linked discussion. It shows how to do the different years including 2019 with the different wires to use for the power. Thanks to MtMan for showing the wire diagram and synstsia who did the mod and said it works.

Disable Idle Stop Start Permanently

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else had a 9 speed replaced? We have a 2019 touring with 5000km which intermittently lurches on the 4-5 upshift
No codes and all software is up to date. Dealer waiting for confirmation on replacement. At times the shift causes mechanical noise from the transmission as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I bought a 2019 Pilot and when I test drove it the transmission was smooth and I didn’t feel it changing gears, now I’m in about 175 miles and I feel the shifts. Also I have notice these two days after como home from work about a 30 drive half highway/local I feel it shift way more specially when slowing down for a light or stop sign. Another thing I notice is while parking I hear a noise when I push the button from drive to reverse.

To anyone out there with a 2019 9 speed what’s your experience with it? And do you guys think I need to drive it more. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2019 Pilot Elite has had issues since shortly after purchase, in October 2018. Odd sounds and irrational shifting, at low speeds, are annoying. However, “searching” for the proper gear at highway speeds is dangerous and has become a safety issue for my family. Honda of America says the transmission is operating as it was designed. If that is accurate, advertisements should disclose the following: “You may experience cooing, snapping, bumping and rubber band noises from your transmission. When in traffic, at highway speeds, your transmission may search for the proper gear and up shift when it should downshift for more rapid acceleration.” I WILL NOT continue to subject my family to this potential highway “death trap.” Anyone here had experience with challenging an automaker under the Magnuson-Moss Act (Lemon Law).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good luck with that Lemon law. Car has to be in the shop for over 30 days or something like that to even go into effect.

Make sure you car is in D mode and not S mode.. I have found the S mode to be incredibly annoying if you are not paddle shifting. It's easy to hit that button 2x. It will behave as you describe.

I have replaced my transmission 2x.. 1 on Honda's dime and one on mine. I'm at 188,000 miles on a 2016 Elite. So far, the 3rd transmission is fine. it's at about 68k right now.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just saw that a 9 speed transmission TSB for the Odyssey has been updated to include the 2019 Pilot and Passport vehicles now. This is concerning harsh upshifts or jerking while accelerating and or a trouble code P0716. TSB #19-124.

The TSB calls for a software update of the TCM (Transmission Control Module)

9 Speed Transmission TSB- TCM Update

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just saw that a 9 speed transmission TSB for the Odyssey has been updated to include the 2019 Pilot and Passport vehicles now. This is concerning harsh upshifts or jerking while accelerating and or a trouble code P0716. TSB #19-124.

The TSB calls for a software update of the TCM (Transmission Control Module)

9 Speed Transmission TSB- TCM Update
Thank you for this information! I just had the update done at 60,000 miles (2019 Elite), and the problems I have had regarding clunks and jerks when shifting are finally fixed. Unfortunately, the dealer charged me $59.95 for the update, even though I had complained about the issue during the "bumper to bumper" warranty, as they said Honda wouldn't cover it. Very disappointed that I had to pay to fix an obvious software design issue. Also disappointed that Honda isn't contacting customers proactively, since this update seems to resolve many complaints.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thank you for bulletin. Does it mean that it's safe to buy a used Elite/Touring now (in terms of transmission)? It was a deal breaker for me..
Looks like the TCM SW update software could fix these issues, or no evidence so far?
The 9 speed is not going to be as reliable as the 6 speed (obviously), but it should last you a while. My 2020 Pilot which is 4 months old now hasn't had any transmission issues.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The 9 speed is not going to be as reliable as the 6 speed (obviously), but it should last you a while. My 2020 Pilot which is 4 months old now hasn't had any transmission issues.
What model Pilot do you have? Perhaps add it to your signature so we can see and not have to wonder if your 4 month old transmission is doing fine because it is a 6 speed or a 9 speed.

I don't know if it is "obvious" that the 6 speed is going to be more reliable than the 9 speed. Both have had problems in the 3rd generation Pilot but things appear to be settling down now that the model is getting older and the transmissions have been updated. Perhaps by hardware or software?

No problems with my 16 month old 2019 Touring with the 9 speed. Considered a 6 speed when purchasing but decided there might problems with both or there might not be. The Touring came with the 9 speed and that is what I decided on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What model Pilot do you have? Perhaps add it to your signature so we can see and not have to wonder if your 4 month old transmission is doing fine because it is a 6 speed or a 9 speed.

I don't know if it is "obvious" that the 6 speed is going to be more reliable than the 9 speed. Both have had problems in the 3rd generation Pilot but things appear to be settling down now that the model is getting older and the transmissions have been updated. Perhaps by hardware or software?

No problems with my 16 month old 2019 Touring with the 9 speed. Considered a 6 speed when purchasing but decided there might problems with both or there might not be. The Touring came with the 9 speed and that is what I decided on.
Oops! I should've included my model! I have a Touring FWD. I say that it's "obvious" because the 9-speed is much more complicated and has more reported issues than the 6 speed. I'll add my Pilot to my signature!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oops! I should've included my model! I have a Touring FWD. I say that it's "obvious" because the 9-speed is much more complicated and has more reported issues than the 6 speed. I'll add my Pilot to my signature!
I have a 2016 Elite. Back in 2016 after following the threads on the 9-speed transmission and all it's problems I decided to get the Elite anyway but purchased HondaCare. That was a good decision.

On Dec. 31, 2018, while on an interstate the transmission suddenly downshifted and about every light on the dash came on. Fortunately we were only about 3 miles from a Honda dealer. They had to have a Honda field rep come in to authorize whatever part was needed to repair it (they had it about 3 weeks total because we were leaving to go skiing, and provided a loaner the entire time) but the car then operated properly.

2 weeks ago I was driving (2-lane road) and accelerated hard to pass. It downshifted to about 5th and all the lights on the dash came on. I pulled over, restarted, and everything seemed normal. Then this past week my wife was driving, accelerated to pass, and it decelerated. I took it to the dealer today and the service tech was able to replicate the problem. I'm now (at 105,000+ miles) getting a new (remanufactured) transmission. Thank you, HondaCare.

I also have a 2019 Elite on which I did not originally buy a HondaCare policy. I'm rethinking that now. (Obviously we otherwise love these cars.) Again, the problem (this go-around) only arose when downshifting to pass. The tech just told me I was about to lose reverse as well. I'll pick it up next Tuesday (I'll be out of town until then). This is my wife's car, and she loves it, and figures it's good for the next 100,000 miles. There's no way we'll keep it that long, but I hope it's now fixed for good. But even at 100,000+ miles this issue showed up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 2016 Elite. Back in 2016 after following the threads on the 9-speed transmission and all it's problems I decided to get the Elite anyway but purchased HondaCare. That was a good decision.

On Dec. 31, 2018, while on an interstate the transmission suddenly downshifted and about every light on the dash came on. Fortunately we were only about 3 miles from a Honda dealer. They had to have a Honda field rep come in to authorize whatever part was needed to repair it (they had it about 3 weeks total because we were leaving to go skiing, and provided a loaner the entire time) but the car then operated properly.

2 weeks ago I was driving (2-lane road) and accelerated hard to pass. It downshifted to about 5th and all the lights on the dash came on. I pulled over, restarted, and everything seemed normal. Then this past week my wife was driving, accelerated to pass, and it decelerated. I took it to the dealer today and the service tech was able to replicate the problem. I'm now (at 105,000+ miles) getting a new (remanufactured) transmission. Thank you, HondaCare.

I also have a 2019 Elite on which I did not originally buy a HondaCare policy. I'm rethinking that now. (Obviously we otherwise love these cars.) Again, the problem (this go-around) only arose when downshifting to pass. The tech just told me I was about to lose reverse as well. I'll pick it up next Tuesday (I'll be out of town until then). This is my wife's car, and she loves it, and figures it's good for the next 100,000 miles. There's no way we'll keep it that long, but I hope it's now fixed for good. But even at 100,000+ miles this issue showed up.
How many miles do you have on your 2019? Now you made me worried about my transmission.:LOL:

·
Registered
633 Posts
How many miles do you have on your 2019? Now you made me worried about my transmission.:LOL:
I know how you feel. However, if you go back and read the posts from when the 2016 models first came out, there were more posts about bad transmissions with the 9 speed than we see now. I have read that the 2019 model is an improved version than the ones that were in the 2016's and probable even later years. I can't say for sure what those differences are however. People are starting to get higher miles now on the 2019's and still haven't seen the failures which the 2016's were exhibiting at even lower miles back then.

I've said it before however. Even if I didn't get the 9 speed, there were enough problems also with the 6 speed that I was getting the longest Honda Care available with either one!

To be clear also, papaya, your problem right now is only on the 2016 and NOT the 2019, correct?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know how you feel. However, if you go back and read the posts from when the 2016 models first came out, there were more posts about bad transmissions with the 9 speed than we see now. I have read that the 2019 model is an improved version than the ones that were in the 2016's and probable even later years. I can't say for sure what those differences are however. People are starting to get higher miles now on the 2019's and still haven't seen the failures which the 2016's were exhibiting at even lower miles back then.

I've said it before however. Even if I didn't get the 9 speed, there were enough problems also with the 6 speed that I was getting the longest Honda Care available with either one!

To be clear also, papaya, your problem right now is only on the 2016 and NOT the 2019, correct?
I’ve seen more videos of the 6 speed having issues but read about the 9 speed having more issues. After the 2019 refresh came around and they said that they fixed the issues, I waited a little longer and got a 2020 touring. I hated the rims on the ex-l😛.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring and the 9-speed transmission shifted perfect when new. Then after a while it started having erratic shifts at 33 mph. I had it back to the dealer twice. First time they said there were no error codes and to drive it a bit more. The second time they reset the memory which determines how you drive. For about a month it was perfect but then started doing it again and then started shifting poorly at the 24 mph shift also. I lived with the poor shifts for about a year (16,000 miles) since it didn't shift bad every time. But often enough to be irritating. Yesterday I took it back again and the dealer said Honda was aware of the problem and came out with a new software update as of about May 2020. He showed me the bulletin and it described the issues I was having. They installed the new software and so far it shifts perfectly. Hopefully it doesn't revert back to poor shifting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2019 has 12000+ miles. Shifts beautifully, but I never had an issue with the quality of the shifts of the 2016 9-speed either. The 2016 also had the starter (or some part of it) replaced at about 80,000 miles, and the timing belt/water pump/serpentine belt service at about 100,000 miles. Other than those issues the car has been trouble free. If I mention replacing it my wife (it's her car) won't have any part of it. She really likes the car, and to put 90,000+ miles on it in the first 3 years (Covid-19 has slowed us down this year with all the cancellations) it obviously got a lot of use, none of which was business. We got 60,000 miles from the first set of original tires, brakes still haven't been replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Touring, bought new in Oct. 2015, I have around 80K miles on it. I bought the 8yr/120K HondaCare for $1300. It had driven great until a few weeks ago when the chirp showed up at the shift around 28mph. Took it in Monday, finally got the news last night that they are replacing the transmission.

I haven't read this entire thread--is anyone willing to give me a brief summary? Am I getting a different model (newer version) transmission, or the same transmission as when I bought it? What do I need to be on the lookout for after bringing my Pilot home? Are there any questions I need to be sure and ask my advisor? Should we consider trading this in before the HondaCare warranty expires?

My family have been loyal Honda drivers since 1990 (us, parents, in-laws, etc.) We typically drive my Hondas to 200K miles/9-10 years. It is disappointing to have an issue like this so early on, and my big concern is will this new transmission have the exact same problem eventually?

Thanks for any advice!
Thank you for this information! I just had the update done at 60,000 miles (2019 Elite), and the problems I have had regarding clunks and jerks when shifting are finally fixed. Unfortunately, the dealer charged me $59.95 for the update, even though I had complained about the issue during the "bumper to bumper" warranty, as they said Honda wouldn't cover it. Very disappointed that I had to pay to fix an obvious software design issue. Also disappointed that Honda isn't contacting customers proactively, since this update seems to resolve many complaints.
hi. I wonder if I may be experiencing the same in my 2019 touring. The car jerks when downshifting around 30mph. You had something similar? And got it fixed? How? & Thanks.

681 - 700 of 705 Posts