Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

641 - 660 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
If I was doing any towing I would consider the 30000 miles also. For now unless Honda comes out with anything differently in writing, I will use the 60000 mile suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Friends .. I am planning to buy Pilot 2017 Touring in Canada, What should i take care from?
i see the posts about transmission issue? is the issue has been fixed by Honda ? what is the warranty limits for that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring Edition (equipped with the 9 speed tranny) which has had an unusual amount of problems over the past 3+ years. We have owned various Honda (and Acura) vehicles, and have been loyal due to their quality and reliability. Sadly, our 16 Pilot is not up to par with our previous Honda vehicles. The most recent problem we have had is the following:
With the engine auto idle stop function engaged (turns the engine off when the vehicle comes to a complete stop), the vehicle came to a complete stop on the freeway. As usual, the engine turned off, when I removed my foot off the brake, the engine restarted, but the transmission had shifted into neutral. I quickly tried to put the car back into drive, but the dash told me that the car had to be put in park. I pushed the park button but it did nothing - stayed in neutral. We were in busy stop and go traffic (Southern California 101 freeway) so I had to do something quickly. I turned the car off and tried to restart it. It took three times pushing the on/off button before the car restarted. When it restarted, I was able to shift to drive and the car ran fine as though nothing had happened. The same thing happened again a little while later, so I disengaged the engine auto idle stop feature and nothing happened again. This problem has not occurred with the feature disengaged. We have tested driving the car with the feature engaged and it has repeated the problem several times (but has never done it when the feature is off). I took the car to the dealership (it is currently there right now), and they are telling me that American Honda will likely recommend a new transmission!!!! How can that possible be? I have read for years about the problems and dissatisfaction of other owners with this tranny, but how is this possible?

Has anyone here had a similar experience? The car is well past the warranty (has 120k miles), but still, there is no way that a Honda should need a new tranny after having been serviced regularly at the dealership, including all of the (expensive!!!) tranny services that have been recommended.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring Edition (equipped with the 9 speed tranny) which has had an unusual amount of problems over the past 3+ years. We have owned various Honda (and Acura) vehicles, and have been loyal due to their quality and reliability. Sadly, our 16 Pilot is not up to par with our previous Honda vehicles. The most recent problem we have had is the following:
With the engine auto idle stop function engaged (turns the engine off when the vehicle comes to a complete stop), the vehicle came to a complete stop on the freeway. As usual, the engine turned off, when I removed my foot off the brake, the engine restarted, but the transmission had shifted into neutral. I quickly tried to put the car back into drive, but the dash told me that the car had to be put in park. I pushed the park button but it did nothing - stayed in neutral. We were in busy stop and go traffic (Southern California 101 freeway) so I had to do something quickly. I turned the car off and tried to restart it. It took three times pushing the on/off button before the car restarted. When it restarted, I was able to shift to drive and the car ran fine as though nothing had happened. The same thing happened again a little while later, so I disengaged the engine auto idle stop feature and nothing happened again. This problem has not occurred with the feature disengaged. We have tested driving the car with the feature engaged and it has repeated the problem several times (but has never done it when the feature is off). I took the car to the dealership (it is currently there right now), and they are telling me that American Honda will likely recommend a new transmission!!!! How can that possible be? I have read for years about the problems and dissatisfaction of other owners with this tranny, but how is this possible?

Has anyone here had a similar experience? The car is well past the warranty (has 120k miles), but still, there is no way that a Honda should need a new tranny after having been serviced regularly at the dealership, including all of the (expensive!!!) tranny services that have been recommended.
Auto off and on is stupid and dangerous on any car. In short people need to be able to go when they push that pedal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts

How old is your battery? I just replaced the battery in our '16 Touring and it seems to have resolved similar issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just came from the dealership this morning for my 1st oil change at 5,100 miles. I also asked them the rattle/grind at startup when vehicle is parked for a few hours. According to the technician, it’s normal with the 9-speed transmission, they even showed me a video of a 3rd gen pilot which is making the same grinding sound to show that they are aware of what I’m saying and that it’s normal. My 2022 crv had the same problem but it was the vtc actuator, the service advisor told me that the pilot does not have vtc actuator. This will be my last honda for sure! Good thing I have the 8/129 honda care.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just came from the dealership this morning for my 1st oil change at 5,100 miles. I also asked them the rattle/grind at startup when vehicle is parked for a few hours. According to the technician, it’s normal with the 9-speed transmission, they even showed me a video of a 3rd gen pilot which is making the same grinding sound to show that they are aware of what I’m saying and that it’s normal. My 2022 crv had the same problem but it was the vtc actuator, the service advisor told me that the pilot does not have vtc actuator. This will be my last honda for sure! Good thing I have the 8/129 honda care.
Do you have a time machine? If not how did you score a 2022 CRV?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 2016 MDX that had this transmission that had a lot of the troubles listed here on this post, the last strew was when the MDX would hesitate sometimes when making a turn across on coming traffic after a full stop. Could never get it to do it over and over. It was more a random thing and almost always with a car coming at you,:eek: along with a hard shifting a low speeds sometimes. I dump the MDX for a Volvo 2017 XC90 that turn out to be a dog too. So many electrical issue's that I could not deal with it and trade it in for a Honda Pilot Elite 2018. That Pilot ran well with fine gas mileage but at 12,000 miles the transmission at low speed just would shift hard, and the cure was to start out in 2 gear, a 50,000 dollar car that can't shift right!o_O(n)😂

Then in July this year the Pilot die with a dead battery that could not be jump started. Lucky it died in my driveway as it took 2 days for roadside service to get someone here who knew how to unlock the transmission so they could flatbed this AWD Pilot to the dealer. The fix was a new battery at no cost to me, the old battery had a shorted cell. I never in my life have I had a new car had this happen to me and dealer said he never saw this happen too. For the record the dealer was great and I have nothing but good things to say about them and they can't help that Honda is still selling cars with this transmission.

The Pilot ran fine after that and now had 24,000 miles on it in Aug this year, but this 9 speed transmission was still not shifting right sometimes! Like when you forget to start out in 2nd gear.:eek::mad:
I have had a lot of Pilots (2009 and 2013) that ran great. But I was disappointed by Honda roadside service, and Honda for sticking with a transmission that has cause so many issue's for so many. I given up on Honda and traded the 2018 in for a new 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, and with just over 3,400 miles I have got 26 mpg on interstate driving, and 18-19 around town. To be fair the Pilot on the interstate did better getting around 27-28. I also only drive up to 70 MPH on the interstate and stay within the posted speed limits in town. My conclusion and the reason going to a Hyundai is for a little less money you get a lot more features and a longer warranty of 5 years. Good bye Honda.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question for you unfortunate ZF owners...my 2016 Touring is in the shop and I am being told they will replace my transmission due to the chirp issue...I then questioned the advisor and he confirmed it will be a rebuilt unit from a 2016 and that the warranty doesn't get extended. For those that have gone through this BS of a situation, is this the case or am I getting shorted by this dealer? I would think I should get a brand new transmission and the warranty be extended out for this particular part. Please chime in and correct me if I am wrong. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question for you unfortunate ZF owners...my 2016 Touring is in the shop and I am being told they will replace my transmission due to the chirp issue...I then questioned the advisor and he confirmed it will be a rebuilt unit from a 2016 and that the warranty doesn't get extended. For those that have gone through this BS of a situation, is this the case or am I getting shorted by this dealer? I would think I should get a brand new transmission and the warranty be extended out for this particular part. Please chime in and correct me if I am wrong. Thanks in advance!
How many miles on your car

·
Registered
73 Posts
You have a transmission with 40,000+ miles, why would Honda give you a brand new transmission with another 50,000 warranty? Same as a warranty for other items (cellular warranty repairs are reconditioned phones / parts, not a new phone).

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Can a 2016-2018 Pilot ZF9 receive a software update to function like a 2019+?
From what I understand the 2019 ZF received hardware updates (clutch system and hydraulics) in addition to software updates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried the 2020 - 9 speed transmission? I read somewhere that the 2020 Pilot 9 speed had further updates done to it (in a review I read somewhere). I am not referencing the hardware/software update done for the 2019 models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has anyone tried the 2020 - 9 speed transmission? I read somewhere that the 2020 Pilot 9 speed had further updates done to it (in a review I read somewhere). I am not referencing the hardware/software update done for the 2019 models.
Please post the reference. My dealer told me that there are zero changes across the board from 19 to 20 except the VIN numbers reflecting the new model year.

641 - 660 of 660 Posts