Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

621 - 640 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Elite 2017 vs Elite 2019

I had the Elite 2017 (30k mileage) that i bought on Mar/2017.

Since the beginning i felt the transmission issues, specially when driving at 20-35mph. Sometimes there was a metal noise when switching from 3-4 gear. Sometimes i felt that i was in a Rodeo over an mad Bull. But every time i brought to the dealer it was working well. It "was not" impacted by the Tech Bulletin.

Yesterday i got an excellent deal and i got the Elite2019. Some different impression. About the transmission it looks like that i am driving at Snow mode on my previous Elite 2017. Very smooth, the way it should be. You don't feel most of the gears changes. Different car ! :)

When you reduce the gears, it has the same weird behavior where you feel the car on neutral for 1 second feeling the car uncontrolled. As the dealer mechanical told me in the past, this is a family car not a Sport Car. Kia, Hyundai and other SUVs brands don't have the same behavior. So it is Honda Pilot behavior. Deal with that.

Keep me posted on how your new Elite is doing.

I have a 2019 Touring and I am experiencing the exact problems you mentioned up above with your previous Pilot.

My issues started several months after I bought my Touring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks:) Brand newbie to the forum, looking forward to learning and sharing what we can.
We just bought our first Pilot, whohoo! Although we've owned Honda forever, Civic, Accord and Ridgeline as of just before our pilot.
We have the 2016 touring model here in Canada. Just had our first oil change with 85 000km on it and they misquoted the cost as $100 for the Transmission oil change. When I picked it up it was $350!! She said the oil is special T3 and it costs $70/litre! Yikes, has anyone else had this experience? Is it legit or are they taking me for a ride?
On a positive note we do love the Pilot's gas mileage, we are getting about 9.1L/100km which is better than we expected:)
Betzy

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes, the transmission fluid for the 9 speed transmission which your 2016 Touring model has does require the Honda 3.1 fluid. Very expensive at between $35.00-$45.00 a quart here in the US depending on where you can order it from.

I believe a fluid exchange takes around 3 quarts. I am sure a Honda dealer will usually charge more than the prices I posted.

There is also no dipstick and a special procedure has to be followed to insure the proper fill amount is used. It involves running the transmission through most of the gears, reading the temperature of the fluid with the Honda tool, looking for a specific range, and then seeing if any fluid is leaking out of the fill hole or not. That is how the fluid level is determined to be correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm fairly new to the board but have been a reading-member for a while. We've been experiencing the ZF transmission issues for a few years, to no avail at the dealer. Tomorrow will be the last straw as our '16 Elite Pilot goes in for routine maintenance. Just yesterday (July 28) on our trip from Atlanta to Tampa, the transmission decided to drop to neutral while at interstate speed. Twice was a bad experience as it was during a needed increase in speed to pass an 18-wheeler. I had the choice of taking the ditch on the left or slow fast and dive back behind the truck in order to not be rear-ended by the impending flow of traffic fast approaching. My experience when it happens is during a downshift, mostly when an increase in speed is called for (even when under cruise control and the vehicle is going back up to the set speed with adaptive CC). Tranny hits neutral, no accelerator for 1-3 seconds average, tach/rpm drops to idle, and you're left a sitting duck. Other times when coming off an exit, tranny is downshifting, and will hit neutral as it's choosing. I've printed ZF recall info (past) for my service rep and have my fingers crossed.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to this forum and new to Honda. I bought a 2016 Touring - 9 speed with ~32000 miles on it a couple months ago. Everything seems great except the transmission. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, but the dealer was kinda clueless. Normal driving is no problem with shifting (9 speed takes some getting used to). When stopped at traffic lights the transmission sometimes surges/rumbles, more often when I'm at the light for longer than 10 seconds or so. While sitting at the light in drive I can feel the transmission shifting and giving the vehicle a little push. When I take my foot off the brake to move forward the transmission surges as well, like a little push/rumble. Pretty weird feeling. I have not noticed a shift to neutral when driving, yet!
My question is, is this a normal condition with this transmission, or am I seeing a problem. Is this something the dealer should address. Luckily I have remaining warranty and I extended it when I bought the vehicle as well.
Help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to this forum and new to Honda. I bought a 2016 Touring - 9 speed with ~32000 miles on it a couple months ago. Everything seems great except the transmission. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, but the dealer was kinda clueless. Normal driving is no problem with shifting (9 speed takes some getting used to). When stopped at traffic lights the transmission sometimes surges/rumbles, more often when I'm at the light for longer than 10 seconds or so. While sitting at the light in drive I can feel the transmission shifting and giving the vehicle a little push. When I take my foot off the brake to move forward the transmission surges as well, like a little push/rumble. Pretty weird feeling. I have not noticed a shift to neutral when driving, yet!
My question is, is this a normal condition with this transmission, or am I seeing a problem. Is this something the dealer should address. Luckily I have remaining warranty and I extended it when I bought the vehicle as well.
Help is appreciated.
I wish I could provide more info to your question, but, as you may have read I'm new to it as well. My '16 Elite sits at our local dealer (Brandon Honda, Florida) after years of experiencing the "drops to neutral" issue. Our last trip on I-75 between Atlanta and Tampa was the straw-break as it happened 3 times, and twice was a scare due to traffic at 70 mph. We too have experienced the 'surge' when stopping...ours seem to happen at a stop light where the light changes before we come to a complete stop, and rolling back into the throttle makes the tranny feel like it was looking for a gear, bumps, the lurches forward finally reaching it's normal pattern. I've had to provide the dealer will all the ZF recall info and additional info from this thread (and other research) regarding all the 9-speed ZF issues that, sadly, they can't find or are not privy to. The wife is riding in their loaner, and our fingers are crossed. A throttle that is dead at 70 mph on a busy interstate is NOT the thing you want to happen...and we're hoping for a cure......

·
Registered
17 Posts
For those that want a smoother shifting experience, on my new MDX it was shifting harsher than my Pilot and it's brand new. Someone posted that they did the Big 3 upgrade (using 4 gauge wire/terminals) which includes upgrading the ground wire from the battery to the chassis, chassis to engine and positive from alternator to positive on the battery. Once I did that, the transmission was indeed noticeably smoother. I am going to take it a step further and do the Big 4 which includes running an additional ground wire to the alternator body or run it directly to the transmission. There are youtube videos (not our car specific) that shows an increase in voltage (.5 volt at least). The wire is $20 and terminals are cheap too and is easy to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish I could provide more info to your question, but, as you may have read I'm new to it as well. My '16 Elite sits at our local dealer (Brandon Honda, Florida) after years of experiencing the "drops to neutral" issue. Our last trip on I-75 between Atlanta and Tampa was the straw-break as it happened 3 times, and twice was a scare due to traffic at 70 mph. We too have experienced the 'surge' when stopping...ours seem to happen at a stop light where the light changes before we come to a complete stop, and rolling back into the throttle makes the tranny feel like it was looking for a gear, bumps, the lurches forward finally reaching it's normal pattern. I've had to provide the dealer will all the ZF recall info and additional info from this thread (and other research) regarding all the 9-speed ZF issues that, sadly, they can't find or are not privy to. The wife is riding in their loaner, and our fingers are crossed. A throttle that is dead at 70 mph on a busy interstate is NOT the thing you want to happen...and we're hoping for a cure......
I haven't had the neutral issue at all. My issues occur when I am stopped (1), or take my foot off the brake at a light to proceed (2). (1) while sitting at a red light the transmission a sudden sort of rumble can be felt for a second or so. Its a not violent type of push, but easily felt. It doesn't do this every time. (2) As soon as I release my foot from the brake after sitting at a stop light for maybe 10 or so seconds the transmission briefly surges forward, like it is shifting. Not a violent surge, but easily felt. Again it doesn't do this every time. I visited the local dealer and after explaining the problem the service tech looked confused and suggested I bring the vehicle in. If I do this I am predicting a $300+ service bill for a fluid change and transmission service and a "we didn't experience the problem" diagnosis. I'm just curious if others have experienced what I am.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't had the neutral issue at all. My issues occur when I am stopped (1), or take my foot off the brake at a light to proceed (2). (1) while sitting at a red light the transmission a sudden sort of rumble can be felt for a second or so. Its a not violent type of push, but easily felt. It doesn't do this every time. (2) As soon as I release my foot from the brake after sitting at a stop light for maybe 10 or so seconds the transmission briefly surges forward, like it is shifting. Not a violent surge, but easily felt. Again it doesn't do this every time. I visited the local dealer and after explaining the problem the service tech looked confused and suggested I bring the vehicle in. If I do this I am predicting a $300+ service bill for a fluid change and transmission service and a "we didn't experience the problem" diagnosis. I'm just curious if others have experienced what I am.
Are you sure this isn't the stop start system where if ur at a stop the engine shuts off and as soon as you lift your foot off the break it restarts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you sure this isn't the stop start system where if ur at a stop the engine shuts off and as soon as you lift your foot off the break it restarts?
Thanks a lot for your suggestion - I feel a little dense here. I turned the feature off when I got the Pilot 3 months ago and didn't know that it turned on again with the next vehicle start. I didn't realize this was the problem. I thought that maybe when I take the brake off it was the auto start, but when I sit parked at a light why the rumble. I got the answer in the thread for disabling the auto stop...
Here is the link for permanently disabling this "feature". I think I might just learn to push the button every time. https://www.piloteers.org/threads/auto-engine-idle-stop-can-it-be-turned-off.155657/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Folks:) Brand newbie to the forum, looking forward to learning and sharing what we can.
We just bought our first Pilot, whohoo! Although we've owned Honda forever, Civic, Accord and Ridgeline as of just before our pilot.
We have the 2016 touring model here in Canada. Just had our first oil change with 85 000km on it and they misquoted the cost as $100 for the Transmission oil change. When I picked it up it was $350!! She said the oil is special T3 and it costs $70/litre! Yikes, has anyone else had this experience? Is it legit or are they taking me for a ride?
On a positive note we do love the Pilot's gas mileage, we are getting about 9.1L/100km which is better than we expected:)
Betzy
Found that on our 17 E the computer was consistently 9.9 -11% optimistic on it's indicated gas mileage....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm really hoping that Honda ditches this transmission in the Touring and Elite models for 2017.
I do not understand why manufacturers continue to use ZF transmissions. Jeep had problems with them for years. I guess they must be really cheap to buy. We chose to get the 6 speed for less problems and the idiotic engine cut off when stopping with the 9 speed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Zf is actually quite decent for trannies if you step out of the transverse realm. Jeep's issues are also with the 9 speed transverse application, which is just a variant of our tranny built in daimler's own factories. I loved their 6 and 8 speeds. Both of those were longitudinal applications and rwd to boot.

The Honda 6 speed is not without it's issues either, with the premature burning of atf. And the start/stop system is really an independent system that just sucks in general.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a used 2016 elite 45K miles. Very noticeable clunk between 25-30 and 45-50 mph. Suspecting it’s the 4/5 and 7/8 dog clutch shifts. I fall outside the applicable TSBs for software updates and trans warmer recalls.

Just brought it to dealership and they drove it, confirmed the noise and said there’s nothing they can do. Dealership printed out some Honda tech live forum where they discussed this amongst themselves and concluded it was just normal characteristics for this transmission. Clunking under light accelerations in an auto transmission are not normal, IMO.

Requested Honda field tech /engineer but dealership didn’t think that request would get approved. Also called Honda America to open a case. Customer service told me to visit another dealer and get a second opinion! What service....

Any thoughts? I read all 600+ posts on this topic and while I wouldn’t characterize my noise as a “chirp” like poorman12 and others, it’s definitely a clunk/pop, but seems to happen at the same shifts and very repeatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
I believe the transmission fluid in the 9 speed ZF doesn't even call for fluid change until around 60000 miles. Not sure how that would change if at all if towing is done, but perhaps is would step it up to around 30000 miles?

Remember that your 2016 will still have the remaining 5 years or 60000 miles of factory powertrain warranty so you have some coverage of the transmission for a little while yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe the transmission fluid in the 9 speed ZF doesn't even call for fluid change until around 60000 miles. Not sure how that would change if at all if towing is done, but perhaps is would step it up to around 30000 miles?

Remember that your 2016 will still have the remaining 5 years or 60000 miles of factory powertrain warranty so you have some coverage of the transmission for a little while yet.
Funny though the manual says if you drive in urban areas with bad air and lots of diesel vehicles, change at 15k intervals. I suppose one could use that interval for towing too. That's pretty damn short! But something tells me their intervals are based on the 6 speed not the 9.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Funny though the manual says if you drive in urban areas with bad air and lots of diesel vehicles, change at 15k intervals. I suppose one could use that interval for towing too. That's pretty damn short! But something tells me their intervals are based on the 6 speed not the 9.

The manual that talks about urban areas with bad air and lots of diesel vehicles IS NOT referring to the transmission fluid at all! It is referring to the engine air filter and the cabin air filter.

I haven't found anything in the owner's manual that even talks about replacing the transmission fluid. The page with the Maintenance Minder codes doesn't list transmission fluid at all. Looking in the maintenance section of the manual there is no mention of when to replace the transmission fluid. It only states that the 9 speed calls for 3.5 US quarts for a change out.

I am looking at the 600+ page owner's manual and can't narrow down the requirements for the transmission fluid change. I have read on the forum 60000 miles and took that as gospel. Can anyone point me in the correct direction to see this in writing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ah yeah i see now. I accidentally read it as *3 being for 3.

For what it's worth i did call zf 2 years ago with the same question and their engineer just said 60k for normal intervals. Otherwise no guidance if you tow. I just always assume to half it.

621 - 640 of 660 Posts