Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

601 - 620 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
2016 Touring, bought new in Oct. 2015, I have around 80K miles on it. I bought the 8yr/120K HondaCare for $1300. It had driven great until a few weeks ago when the chirp showed up at the shift around 28mph. Took it in Monday, finally got the news last night that they are replacing the transmission.

I haven't read this entire thread--is anyone willing to give me a brief summary? Am I getting a different model (newer version) transmission, or the same transmission as when I bought it? What do I need to be on the lookout for after bringing my Pilot home? Are there any questions I need to be sure and ask my advisor? Should we consider trading this in before the HondaCare warranty expires?

My family have been loyal Honda drivers since 1990 (us, parents, in-laws, etc.) We typically drive my Hondas to 200K miles/9-10 years. It is disappointing to have an issue like this so early on, and my big concern is will this new transmission have the exact same problem eventually?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought used Touring 2016 AWD.. noticed the transmission issue between 20-30 speed. Does any one know if Honda is taking care of the issue.. dropped it to dealer and they said they fixed.. but its not.. i can replicate the jerking very often.. anyone knows if honda is planning for recalls?

·
Registered
112 Posts
2016 Touring, bought new in Oct. 2015, I have around 80K miles on it. I bought the 8yr/120K HondaCare for $1300. It had driven great until a few weeks ago when the chirp showed up at the shift around 28mph. Took it in Monday, finally got the news last night that they are replacing the transmission.

I haven't read this entire thread--is anyone willing to give me a brief summary? Am I getting a different model (newer version) transmission, or the same transmission as when I bought it? What do I need to be on the lookout for after bringing my Pilot home? Are there any questions I need to be sure and ask my advisor? Should we consider trading this in before the HondaCare warranty expires?

My family have been loyal Honda drivers since 1990 (us, parents, in-laws, etc.) We typically drive my Hondas to 200K miles/9-10 years. It is disappointing to have an issue like this so early on, and my big concern is will this new transmission have the exact same problem eventually?

Thanks for any advice!
So... if you look at my post history on here, you are going to see I have been wondering who else is going to hit problems at 80k.. I had a transmission replaced at around 55k miles due to dog leg gear failure.. I had it replaced again, on my dime, almost exactly 80k miles later due to Torque Converter Failing to lock.. which can be 4 different things.. No one will touch these transmissions, so Honda replaced it for me at a nice cost of $5200..

I'm very curious to see how many other people are going to see failures as they approach 100k miles.. Which on a new car is nothing, but the car manufacturers are sticking to their old standards from the 50's and 60's when a car was done at 100k miles and not worth fixing.

Is it planned obsolescence or just bad engineering.. or both? Time will tell. I've owned a lot of cars and transmission failure has never been an issue for me on any of my high milage vehicles. This is the first time.

Good luck and I'm glad your extended warranty is covering it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Elite 2017 vs Elite 2019

I had the Elite 2017 (30k mileage) that i bought on Mar/2017.

Since the beginning i felt the transmission issues, specially when driving at 20-35mph. Sometimes there was a metal noise when switching from 3-4 gear. Sometimes i felt that i was in a Rodeo over an mad Bull. But every time i brought to the dealer it was working well. It "was not" impacted by the Tech Bulletin.

Yesterday i got an excellent deal and i got the Elite2019. Some different impression. About the transmission it looks like that i am driving at Snow mode on my previous Elite 2017. Very smooth, the way it should be. You don't feel most of the gears changes. Different car ! :)

When you reduce the gears, it has the same weird behavior where you feel the car on neutral for 1 second feeling the car uncontrolled. As the dealer mechanical told me in the past, this is a family car not a Sport Car. Kia, Hyundai and other SUVs brands don't have the same behavior. So it is Honda Pilot behavior. Deal with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
it's so sad that in 2019 Honda is still unable to make the Pilot (and Passport) transmissions feel "just right".

my 2008 Odyssey minivan's 6-speed was so much better..

·
Banned
70 Posts
it's so sad that in 2019 Honda is still unable to make the Pilot (and Passport) transmissions feel "just right".

my 2008 Odyssey minivan's 6-speed was so much better..
My 19 elite has the smoothest transmission I’ve ever driven. It’s almost CVT esque when driving around town. No issues whatsoever. Can’t speak for long term reliability as I only have a couple thousand miles on it but so far I love it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Also, car and driver compared the Passport, and it got the best transmission score of the bunch.

“Our gripes about the nine-speed transmission's indecisiveness when automatically shifting have vanished, and the Passport's wheel-mounted paddles give drivers much-needed manual control.”

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hesitation when shifting? Esp. R to D

Have a 2019 Elite and 3700 miles, just started to notice that it seems to hesitate when shifting from P to D, or R to D, anyone else experience that? I notice it especially when backing out of parking spot, then put it in Drive, it seems to take a second or 2 before it's in gear - if I accelerate then it jerks when the transmission "catches up", so I have been starting off slower to avoid it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a new 2019 Pilot Touring AWD with about 600 miles. So far, so good as far as the transmission goes. The shifts are smooth all the way around. I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2019 Elite started out smooth as glass too... now at 25k, I am experienced rough shifts when letting off the gas at around 30 mph. Feels like I am being rear ended, or yanked from behind, depending on the circumstances. Not frequent enough to take to the dealer yet, but frequency seems to be increasing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2016 touring awd now has about 60k miles on it and I have complained about the trans a few times. Apparently if I recall it was flashes twice since I got it new. I feel it is overall better than the first year but it still lags to engage again when driving away from a stop sign or something. Basically if I stop for say 1-2 seconds then start to drive off it feels like the rpm rise say 500rpm but it wont move till that happens. The result is usually lag/delay in acceleration and sometimes a hard jolt in acceleration afterwards. Not sure if it is a torque converter issue or trans valve body issue but they swear it is normal. My uncle and wifes friend have the same exact trim as I do and have similar issues. My uncle's I believe is a 2017 though.

I have just dealt with is because I still love the Pilot for all of the other good things about it. Nothing else I could see myself getting even If I went to shop new. Prefer the looks of my 2016 over the 2019 as well and I need the capacity so I couldnt do the Passport. I just hope if the trans goes out I can at least get the updated ZF trans installed.

It is funny because the other car I would like to get for a weekend car, a 2019 Mustang GT PP2 ALSO has a manual trans issue that is known....whats up with these manufacturers? Sheesh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes!!!

My 2019 Touring has over 14,000 miles on it and as of last month, started jerking on me. It’s usually when I’m in the 30 mph range. Chase at Honda of Denton doesn’t believe me and never found anything wrong. Another dealership has found issues, but admits that they can’t fix them until Honda comes up with a better fix.

I feel so helpless.

·
Registered
102 Posts
15K on my 2018 Touring. Still the occasional harsh 1-2 shift under light acceleration but that's it. Under moderate to heavy throttle this transmissions shines.

As an aside, I have 2019 RX350 with the 8-speed Aisin transmission and it has the opposite problem of the ZF - shifts smooth as silk under light throttle but ~¼ of all downshifts under heavy throttle give a thunk and even some upshifts under heavy throttle give a thunk too.

How is it in 2019 we can be having these issues across two different major auto manufactures and with some of their best selling vehicles? I've driven automatics my entire life and these two transmissions are the worst I've driven!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just traded in my 2016 touring with 53000 miles. Never had any issues with it. Got a new 2019 touring and like the refinements in shifting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2019 Elite started out smooth as glass too... now at 25k, I am experienced rough shifts when letting off the gas at around 30 mph. Feels like I am being rear ended, or yanked from behind, depending on the circumstances. Not frequent enough to take to the dealer yet, but frequency seems to be increasing.
Exactly same issue here on a 2019 Touring. Started out great now at around 10k shifts in the 20- 35, at times, get the jerking that people are complaining about here.

·
Registered
21 Posts

YES!!! This right here!!

Me too. I've got a 2019 Touring since Aug. 30. It's been jerking intermittently in the 30 mph-range. Sometimes, it will make an awful clank sound when it jerks. Honda won't/can't fix it. I'm very frustrated. This is a problem that's been going on for about two months. I've got over 14K miles on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Exactly same issue here on a 2019 Touring. Started out great now at around 10k shifts in the 20- 35, at times, get the jerking that people are complaining about here.

Ken,

I'm desperate to find people like you and Sylvia. I've got a 2019 Touring that starting jerking about two months ago. (I've had it since Aug. 30.) The jerking is intermittent. Two dealer visits. Neither have helped. I've reached out to Honda corporate, but I'm afraid that they will not help me either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a new 2019 Pilot Touring AWD with about 600 miles. So far, so good as far as the transmission goes. The shifts are smooth all the way around. I will keep you updated.

Mine started out smooth too ... I hope yours won't have the problems my 2019 Touring is having.

601 - 620 of 660 Posts