Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

581 - 600 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm sure you already know this, but in case you don't... The 6 speed is only available in the lower 3 trim levels and the 9 speed is available in only the top 2 trim levels. Lets say you're most interested in the EX-L model & the Touring model. The EX-L is very nicely equipped and has the 6 speed, the Touring has a few more standard features, better sound insulation, and features the 9 speed. The issues with the 9 speed transmission have been ironed out, so barring issues that could happen to any vehicle, it all boils down to which trim level you want to pay for.

I have the 9 speed in a '16 Touring model with nearly 50K miles on it and absolutely love it. Yes, mine was one of the vehicles which had to have the tranny replaced at around 35K. It was taken care of at no charge and now I have a nearly new transmission, which I consider one of the best transmissions I've ever had in a vehicle.

Take others advice and go drive a new Pilot in the trim level you want. Be sure to bring your checkbook or plan on making payments, cuz you're not going to want to drive home without that gorgeous new Pilot!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have almost 3000 miles in 6 weeks on our new 2019 Touring and have not noticed anything hinky with the transmission. I especially love the paddle shifters that have come in very handy down hilling around here in snowstorms.

·
Super Moderator
15,248 Posts
As I've mentioned many times the early ie 16Pilots 9 speeds suffered from an external warmer defect that ZF used on many car and trucks. Failures were happening but by now the early ones seem ok and it's not been an issue.
Synchronization of the 9 speed and AWD system wasn't refined. It's all software controlled. Once again it's been fine for some time.

I've actually been thinking that this thread has long since served its purpose of helping the early 16 9 speed buyers. Been thinking of dropping the sticky from this threads.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I have a 19 elite- I've had no issues with the transmission whatsoever. In fact, its the smoothest transmission I've driven and light years ahead of my last cars (2011 Honda Accord exl)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a 19 elite- I've had no issues with the transmission whatsoever. In fact, its the smoothest transmission I've driven and light years ahead of my last cars (2011 Honda Accord exl)
The odometer reading on my '19 Elite is 3969 as I write this - not a single unpleasant transmission feeling or experience. In the beginning, I wondered why I had to floor the pedal when climbing but I soon discovered I was in econ mode. When I need power, I turn it off and it rides like a horse with the i-VTEC kicking in!

·
Registered
112 Posts
2nd Transmission Failure

I'm currently at 138,000 miles and my 2nd 9 speed is throwing P0741 code... Torque Converter failing to lock.

First transmission was replaced officially according to Honda at 55,000 miles.. So the second transmission lasted 83,000 miles.

Honda is refusing to do anything. It's out of warranty. Local shops cannot even buy the transmission. There is a torque converter available for about $890.. plus install.. Which might not even be the problem. It may be a pump or solenoid. I'll be around 2k to 3k just doing a guess...

Used transmissions are not easy to find and who knows what you are really getting.

I found a local Honda dealer that can get me a new transmission and replace for $5200....

I'm going to call HondaUSA one more time and give them a chance before I just bad mouth them for the rest of my life. I loved their cars and they have served my family well, but to have to shell out 5k at 80,000 miles of use on a transmission... They just are not worth buying for a long term vehicle or long service.

This 9 speed has over 27 TSB's... It's a problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did you have the atf serviced around 60k into the second tranny?

Hmm p0741 seems pretty prevalent on zf units actually...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Yes... I did all regular service intervals for all fluids.

I have mixed emotions on ATF services... Some say to never change it and others change it on the regular. This is with various manufacturers.

I have never had to replace a transmission on any of my cars, except hot rods I was building and rebuilding. I've had them get a little weird at 200k, but that's a lot more miles than 83k...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes... I did all regular service intervals for all fluids.

I have mixed emotions on ATF services... Some say to never change it and others change it on the regular. This is with various manufacturers.

I have never had to replace a transmission on any of my cars, except hot rods I was building and rebuilding. I've had them get a little weird at 200k, but that's a lot more miles than 83k...
I hear ya. I'm just curious because zf's engineer told me 60k intervals when i called them but that goes to show that even preventative maintenance didn't do any good here. Probably same old bad rubber oring as the 5 speed zf and other units

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only the Elite and Touring trims come with the 9 speed. LX/EX/EXL are six speed. If dealer salesman is saying differently, they don't know what they are talking about.

I would personally if I needed the features of the Elite or Touring have no hesitation getting one. As stated many times in this forum, the gremlins that affected the 9 speed early in its life have been tamed.
I skimmed most of this thread but couldnt find a good summary. When looking at used pilots, should we steer clear of 2016 and 2017, 9 speed models? if the tranny has been replaced or service (via the warmer or service bulletin for leaks), is that good enough?

I've always love hondas for their reliability, but concerned about getting one of these.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would not buy a 9 speed if this is the cost associated with them every 80k or so...
6 speed seems to be holding up quite well in the other models..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well tbh, having had Hondas in the family since 1987... There's always a problem with all their transmissions. For the 6, i would really keep up atf changes every 15k if you can. It's cheap insurance since the dw1 is known to burn early (this is true even for Acura sport hybrid models and their twin motor units). You will know you've got burnt dw1 when you start getting a fluttering tach needle and feel the pulsing as well).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Tranny #2 may be done.... At the dealer now...To Be Continued..... 1400miles in FML
Update: they are blaming the lockup on the TCM Processor that they are replacing... More to come.
Pilot is back in my possession. All seems normal. Fingers crossed. Yeah, all under drivetrain warranty. Apparently when they swapped out the tranny they kept the original TCM. It decided to just die... Oh well. Onto the next 4 troublefree years...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Arghh. So disappointing to see it on the tow bed. Hope it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do we know if this was limited to only 2016 and 2017? Would a 2018 ZF transmission have the same issues?
No one knows because most people don't put more than 10,000 miles a year on them. I can't tell you if it's unique to my experience or others will have the same issues over time.

I'm just frustrated by it. I bought it in April 2016.. by the next summer.. I had hit 55k and the transmission failed due to dog leg gear problems.. Not the transmission heater issue that was a defect.. 2 years later it fails for a different reason.. torque converter not locking up.

I would not say it's limited to specific years UNLESS ZF has done upgrades to the transmissions to eliminate these failures.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My transmission pauses before going into gear. I had the auto shop look at it they said that the motor mounts are broken and I need around 2200 dollar kit to fix the transmission. This car only has 85,000 miles.

And I already changed the Steering gear last month. Does Ford admit that this transmission is a manufacture defect?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My transmission pauses before going into gear. I had the auto shop look at it they said that the motor mounts are broken and I need around 2200 dollar kit to fix the transmission. This car only has 85,000 miles.

And I already changed the Steering gear last month. Does Ford admit that this transmission is a manufacture defect?
Wrong thread? This is a Honda Pilot forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone here have problems with the 2018-2019 9 Speed transmission? Interested in the Honda Passport and the 9 speed makes me nervous from what I've heard. Wondering if its fixed.

581 - 600 of 682 Posts