Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
There's also a service bulletin in the article about the rear welds, wonder what that's all about.

·
Registered
332 Posts
No Leonard. anchor3n1 received an airbag recall notice/letter directly from Honda and within the letter Honda stated that the CRV should be taken out of use until the airbag was replaced/fixed. And, if this presented an issue that Honda will provide a loaner vehicle until the recall repair was completed.

THE LOANER VEHICLE WAS NOT OFFERED OR PROVIDED BY THE DEALER BUT RATHER IT WAS PROVIDED BY AMERICAN HONDA CORP :wink:

anchor3n1 appreciates Honda's attentiveness and response to the airbag problem and thus is confidant that they will again respond professionally to the transmission issue should it turn into a recall:grin:
Interesting information.

I will be honest, I am a bit weirded out by all the third-person speak, but, nonetheless, I do wonder why others with various recalls have not been provided a loaner? I was always given a loaner from Acura when I owned my RSX and took it in. I was given a loaner from my local Honda dealer when they were just doing an Oil Change/Tire Rotation! It was, however, a really, really old Odyssey. I would have figured if that were a corporate vehicle from Honda, it would have been something newer...

Regardless, Leonard has learned something new today, perhaps!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Seeing the Light ; )

Interesting information.

I will be honest, I am a bit weirded out by all the third-person speak,
anchor3n1 understands.

but ...
Regardless, Leonard has learned something new today, perhaps!
However anchor3n1 rejoices that Leonard has learned a new something today and that Leonard has come to appreciate the fun of "third-person speak" forum posts & replies as well. :wink:

even poorman212 got into the action and took a walk on the "third-person speak" wild side the other day (for which anchor3n1 thanks poorman212 very much for doing:))

Poorman is still going to drive it the same way as well.....14 months and over 19K on her/his ...
:grin:

And, anchor3n1 say, "kudos to yoda for joining the team too":laugh:

Yoda's good with consolidation.

Darn it, anchor3n1, now you've got me doing it...:surprise:
anchor3n1 realizes that this post is a departure from the thread topic and thanks readers (and mods)for their patience. Now let's get back to the topic at hand - the ZF 9sp tranny - (but of course should anyone else want to try their hand at "third-person speak - and excessive emoji use-, anchor3n1 won't mind:wink:).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey, I do all kinds of things :).....especially these days when he really doesn't care much any more.

Again, things happen...."my trans dies at 3K, mine went at 10.....mine went at 30K", stuff happens, Until we get into something like the 98-02 Accord trans issues, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it....yes you can throw the Ody in that general year range as well since it was almost the same trans.....the valve body had an issue and would cut flow to the trans cooler at idle and let them "cook" to death. However, before that and after that Honda has done very well with bringing back their auto trans reliability.

So again, let's run the numbers boys and girls.....we've had ~30 (?) reported issues with the 9 speeds in the 2016 Pilots, how many are out there with NO issues. Yes I only have over 19K miles in ~14 months of ownership on mine, as time goes we will see.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey, I do all kinds of things :)
So again, let's run the numbers boys and girls.....we've had ~30 (?) reported issues with the 9 speeds in the 2016 Pilots, how many are out there with NO issues. Yes I only have over 19K miles in ~14 months of ownership on mine, as time goes we will see.
Great poll idea.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Agree that it looks like a small number right now - but again - that is only those who are active on the forum - what about those who have not documented it via the forum, or those who are oblivious to the noise and are driving around with the issue.

A few questions:

- There appear to be a number of 6 speed transmissions that have been faulty and replaced as well, is the cause of the defect common amongst the two transmissions - ie. a supporting component creating the failure in both versions, or are there two separate issues altogether.

- Based on reviewing the posts of those who have been impacted - the majority appear to occur after 20k miles. If that is a direct correllation to when the issue occurs, I would suspect the # of replacements to increase in the next 6 months, as the 2016s approach 20k plus miles across the sold units.

·
Registered
502 Posts
ZF Recalls Nine-Speed Transmission

I've been reading almost every 2016 mechanical thread for over a year now. Unless it's about armrest comfort or HID headlamps, I've probably read it.

Could be wrong, but I haven't seen any poster here complain about slipping into neutral.

What I have been reading is failures due to coolant contamination... Seemingly a failure in the transmission cooler where transmission fluid was allowed to mix with coolant. Not sure if that's a plumbing, sealing, brazing issue, or casting porosity or what... Haven't seen a definite root cause yet.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My dealer called me to pick up my new pilot elite next week.
I'm not sure if I should get it or cancel my purchase.... :(
Please advise
Obviously your call on what to do. My two cents, don't let this forum scare you off from, in my opinion, a great vehicle. Is it perfect, no. But, if it checks all of the boxes of what you need it for, you can't go wrong.

A good amount of what you read on this forum is just personal opinions on what folks think of the Pilot. Some folks don't even own a Pilot yet use this forum as a means to rip on it. Some rightfully so, other in my opinion, most) aren't really issues but more personal gripes of what a "$50k car should have". Forums like this as well as the internet in general is a means for some to air their dirty laundry yet hide behind a mysterious cloak of secrecy. You can make all the claims you want with nothing to lose since no one will ever know who you are.

We purchased our Elite in April and have nothing but praise. Again, not the perfect car. But, there really is no such thing. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
16 Posts
What I have been reading is failures due to coolant contamination... Seemingly a failure in the transmission cooler where transmission fluid was allowed to mix with coolant. Not sure if that's a plumbing, sealing, brazing issue, or casting porosity or what... Haven't seen a definite root cause yet.
Having had my mine replaced with well under 20k miles on it, I was puzzled that the dealer repairing the MT car didn't find any contamination or problem with the cooler. I thought a defective tranny cooler was the issue, as it was with mine, and the tranny was replaced as collateral damage. I'd hate to think there are two potential failure points: the cooler and something else. The replacement part was described to me as redesigned and involving all new hoses, etc.

41 - 60 of 660 Posts