Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
My statement that "it's not that big of a big deal" was directed at the problem itself, not the consequences. I apologize for not explaining myself better. The crimp on an electrical component, whether that crimp is on a wire or if it's a loose connection of a connector to a terminal will be easy to fix and poor connections are a fairly common occurrence, both in DC voltage connections and in AC voltage connections. That's not that big of a deal and most likely very easy to resolve unless it's a deep internal connection.

My attempt to calm nerves didn't work out so well. I'll go to bed now... Those of you who've traded their Pilots off already can get a good night's sleep. :grin:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Maybe I misunderstand the recall news, but it reads like the crimp was not properly set prior to July 2014 and that it was corrected since then. And that the recall is to update the software to reduce the chance of the transmission going to neutral for the affected vehicles (why don't they want to fix the bad crimp instead?). I do not know why the Pilot was bundled in the recall since it was produced past that date, unless the news lists all vehicles with the ZF 9-speed transmission regardless of the date.

My take on the Honda TSB was to adjust the gear shift dynamics to reduce the feeling of surging, and appears to be unrelated to this recall.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Maybe I misunderstand the recall news, but it reads like the crimp was not properly set prior to July 2014 and that it was corrected since then. And that the recall is to update the software to reduce the chance of the transmission going to neutral for the affected vehicles (why don't they want to fix the bad crimp instead?). I do not know why the Pilot was bundled in the recall since it was produced past that date, unless the news lists all vehicles with the ZF 9-speed transmission regardless of the date.

My take on the Honda TSB was to adjust the gear shift dynamics to reduce the feeling of surging, and appears to be unrelated to this recall.
According to this article ZF Recalls Nine-Speed Automatic for Random Drops into Neutral, Only Involves Software Update - News - Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog the crimp connection was changed in transmissions produced after July 2014, not vehicles. Who knows without looking at serial # on the transmission itself, when the tranny in our own particular vehicle was actually produced. Like you, I believe it would be much wiser to redo the crimp rather than just update hardware. I guess it's a wait & see game at this point. At least we are aware that there is a potential problem & we can be proactive...

I have seen 2 different articles now that state the '16' model Hondas & FCA models will not be recalled @ this time. Hopefully all of the '16' model vehicles have trannys built after July of '14'...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not for anchor3n1. He knows that should there be an issue, Honda will take good care of it just like it did with the Tanaka air bag issue (anchor3n1 has a CRV. Honda provided a free loaner till the airbag was replaced which took 3 months till the parts came in to the dealer).

In the meantime:

anchor3n1 is gunna DRIVE IT LIKE HE STOLE as he usually does!
See, that's just the thing to me... Honda has been slow to respond to various issues as of late. VCM vibration issue in the last gen Pilot? Honestly, when the thread made it into the 20's or 30's of pages, I stopped paying attention. Honda didn't seem to care. Was that ever addressed? If so, it was after they stopped selling that model-year.

How about the vibration of the '15 CR-V that had a 50+ page thread of complaints from owners there? Did Honda ever address that issue? They chimed in early in the thread, but then as complaints piled up, they got quiet.

Have they EVER made a Clutch Master Cylinder that isn't plastic and crappy inside? Not that I'm aware of... after going through multiples in my RSX-S, one in my first Si and one in my second, I give up. It can snap, crackle, and pop and we'll just have to keep lubricating it internally and hope it doesn't break...

You cite the Takata debacle as a reference... as if they've "taken care of that" fully. Well, no. They haven't. In fact, I just found out that my '09 Si has been a rolling death trap for my passenger for the last 7 years. Have I received a letter about it? No. Why? Because they don't have parts to fix it yet, surely. Was I ever warned that my vehicle may be impacted? No. In fact, I've been checking up until a couple of months ago and it wasn't included at all.

But to be honest, I'll give them a bit of a pass on that. They didn't mishandle the airbag inflator, Takata did. But, still, their supplier, their problem. And it's not fully resolved yet. You can also thank your DEALER for the loaner, not Honda corp. I've seen more reports of non-loaners than loaners.

But hey, if it helps you to put them up on that pedestal, that's great. I can relate as I felt that way from the age of 15 until about 2 or 3 years ago!

·
Registered
325 Posts
anchor3n1 thanks Leonard for the detailed response:wink: but even so (anchor3n1's '16 is a fantastic "ride" not matter how Leonard tries to explain it - the Pilot's quality, safety, etc - away),

thus:

anchor3n1 is still gunna DRIVE IT LIKE HE STOLE IT:smile:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Nope

Leonard1818 said:
You can also thank your DEALER for the loaner, not Honda corp. I've seen more reports of non-loaners than loaners.
No Leonard. anchor3n1 received an airbag recall notice/letter directly from Honda and within the letter Honda stated that the CRV should be taken out of use until the airbag was replaced/fixed. And, if this presented an issue that Honda will provide a loaner vehicle until the recall repair was completed.

THE LOANER VEHICLE WAS NOT OFFERED OR PROVIDED BY THE DEALER BUT RATHER IT WAS PROVIDED BY AMERICAN HONDA CORP :wink:

anchor3n1 appreciates Honda's attentiveness and response to the airbag problem and thus is confidant that they will again respond professionally to the transmission issue should it turn into a recall:grin:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had the software update done to my 9 speed transmission on 5 August. Then drove 2100 km from Canada to California and it feels way smoother even though I never had any problems before. Sat on 80mph most of the way and the car drove perfectly in temperatures ranging from 15 - 38 degrees Celsius or 60 - 100 degrees Farenheit. Averaged 10.5 litres per 100km or 23 miles per gallon. Kids watched movies via DVD or via their IPAD with HDMI plug and it worked well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had the software update done to my 9 speed transmission on 5 August. Then drove 2100 km from Canada to California and it feels way smoother even though I never had any problems before. Sat on 80mph most of the way and the car drove perfectly in temperatures ranging from 15 - 38 degrees Celsius or 60 - 100 degrees Farenheit. Averaged 10.5 litres per 100km or 23 miles per gallon. Kids watched movies via DVD or via their IPAD with HDMI plug and it worked well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

TSB update, correct?

·
Registered
325 Posts
anchor3n1 wants to make something crystal clear and thinks it is important to be said. And that is that reports and information regarding issues with the '16 Pilot are generally helpful and one of the great values of this website/forum IAHO ("in anchor3n1's humble opinion" :grin: ). The OP has provided just this type of great value in posting the information about the ZF tranny.

However, it is not generally of much help IAHO (see above for acronym definition :)) when information like this is used by others to make generalities about (or imply that all '16s and Honda in general are substandard).

·
Registered
774 Posts
Motor Trend has 9sp Transmission Replaced in their longterm vehicle

2016 Honda Pilot Elite Review - Long-Term Update 3

Certainly not what Honda wanted to have happen to a vehicle that was in the hands of possible the most read auto publication in the country. Doubt it will have any significant affect on sales, but anybody who is on the fence certainly won't like reading this....

·
Registered
495 Posts
2016 Honda Pilot Elite Review - Long-Term Update 3

Certainly not what Honda wanted to have happen to a vehicle that was in the hands of possible the most read auto publication in the country. Doubt it will have any significant affect on sales, but anybody who is on the fence certainly won't like reading this....
This is a bit of a bummer (that Motortrend got the lemon).

This chirping item, is it chirping similar to a manual shift from 1st to 2nd on the race track, basically the tires chirping as the tranny shifts gears and power is applied once the next gear takes? If i were to test this, is it simply flooring it and going through the gears? Or, does this occur under normal driving conditions as well?

21 - 40 of 660 Posts