Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my head is swimming about now after reading all the zaino and other wax threads.
There is no doubt the finish looks great (from the pictures) after usin Zaino. However, my main concern is protection, especially in the winter with all the road salt, etc. So does Zaino protect well ?? Are there other products that might protect better ?

I used to use a product called Liquid Glass. Does anyone have any experience with this on their Pilot ?

Any help would be great. I just got the new EX-L Silver and want it to look great fro years to come

thx

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sent question to Zaino

I sent your question to Zaino Brothers. I have used the product. The shine is fantastic and water beads like crazy.

As far as how good is it protecting, I'm not sure. Maybe Zaino's done some scientific studies. But if "water beading" is any indication of protection, then Zaino IS protecting the paint finish.

I think the bottom line with any wax or polymer product is to watch the paint finish for wear. If your paint is not beading water, it's time to re-apply with whatever product you choose.

I'll post Zaino's reply to this thread.

ammdaddy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sal Zaino's Response

Here's Zaino's e-mail reply to our "protection" question:

Zaino polish is a synthetic based polish system, with incredible protection and durability. Zaino is indeed a total paint protectant . . .

Zaino Show Car polish contain no waxes, abrasives, harmful solvents or silicones. Zaino will outperform, outprotect, outshine and outlast anything in the industry. Guaranteed! Plus they're extemely easy to use.

To answer your original question. Yes, Zaino will give your paint finish durable, total protection from any and all environmental conditions . . . Greater, longer and more protection than any WAX, could ever offer... :).

------

Thank You,
Sal Zaino
(732)833-8800
http://www.zainobros.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
Which Zaino Wax Do You Recommend?

I been reading so much about this Zaino wax that I want to give it a try. I went to the Zaino website and they make four (4) different types of waxes: Z-1, Z-2, Z-3 and Z-5. My inclination is to buy the Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes but I'd first like to hear from other Pilot owners who use this product .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Get yourself the Zaino Bros' Total Protection Kit ($84.70). That's the route I took. Believe me, you'll need everything in the kit. Application sounds complicated, but it's not. And not hard to apply either.

I haven't yet applied it to my Pilot since I've only had it two days. But I did use my white '93 Acura Legend as a guinea pig. The results were fantastic. The paint finish looks brand new, is smooth as a baby's butt, and beads water like crazy. Everyone I've shown the finish to has been impressed. My neighbor even called his wife out of their house to come and see what this product can do to an eleven-year-old factory paint job.

PM me if you want more details on the application.

ammaddy

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: Which Zaino Wax Do You Recommend?

dukeofjuke said:
I been reading so much about this Zaino wax that I want to give it a try. I went to the Zaino website and they make four (4) different types of waxes: Z-1, Z-2, Z-3 and Z-5. My inclination is to buy the Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes but I'd first like to hear from other Pilot owners who use this product .
Please search "Zaino" in the detailing forum. You will find many user experiences with their product along with links to comparison tests w/ other waxes.

IMO, Zaino is the best product I have tried.

Glen

·
Registered
61 Posts
Get yourself the Zaino Bros' Total Protection Kit ($84.70). That's the route I took. Believe me, you'll need everything in the kit. Application sounds complicated, but it's not. And not hard to apply either.
Thanks for the recommendation, ammdaddy but I don't think I want to spend $85 on a new, factory finish. However, this is something I would consider when the factory finish could use a face lift a few years from now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
No problem, Duke.

My theory is to take care of the paint the best way I can from the start to avoid a facelift.

After all, facelifts don't always work. Take Joan Rivers for example!:eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Zaino??

My theory is to take care of the paint the best way I can from the start to avoid a facelift.

Point well taken, ammdaddy, especially the part about Joan Rivers. I've heard that she has had so many face lifts that her belly button is now under her armpit!!!
:jester:

Seriously, I will consider your advice regarding paint protection. I've always believed in the saying that "an once of protection is worth a pound of cure".

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am definitely no connoisseur re: waxes/polymer or finishes.
But I did buy the z kit after reading the posts on HPorg.

Looks wonderful but what is really amazing is the touch.
It makes the surface feel almost soft. The z wash solution brings the just done look right back when I wash it.

There is a problem though..
I don't know what I'm going to do when I don't want to wash it myself.

Ciao
mooz
exlss

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Zaino??

dukeofjuke said:

Point well taken, ammdaddy, especially the part about Joan Rivers. I've heard that she has had so many face lifts that her belly button is now under her armpit!!!
:jester:

Seriously, I will consider your advice regarding paint protection. I've always believed in the saying that "an once of protection is worth a pound of cure".
With a Honda facelift at least you won't end up with the grill badge in the middle of the roof.:2:

I echo the point about protection. As my dealer said during new owner orientation, wax early and often.

While I've never used Zaino, I did put several coats of Finish First Polish (http://www.finishfirstpolish.com) on last summer, and this summer used a Meguiar's clay bar and Eagle One Polish, Wax As U Dry, and Wet and Shine, and the result has been great. Silver's a tough color to get great reflectivity from, but it looks pretty darn good. Here's a picture from last year (before the mirror covers, bug deflector, and Michelins).

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
"Soft" is a good adjective to describe the Zaino feel. The paint on my Zaino-ed '93 Acura feels softer and cleaner than the paint on my non-Zaino-ed 3-day old Pilot.

Raining in Chicago today . . . otherwise I'd be Zaino-ing the Pilot. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go out for a drive. :roadtrip:

·
Registered
82 Posts
DukeofJuke

Duke, At a minimum you need Z-1, Z-2, and Z-6. Remember, that Zaino is a 'system' and the products work together to create the best finish I've ever seen.

You're going to need a car wash product anyway, and Z-7 is as good as anything else you'll find, and it's part of the 'system'.

Z-16 Tire Gloss is the best I've ever used. Way better than the Meguire's product that never dries. Purely optional.

The Z-18 clay bar is too expensive at $17.00. Look for a Clay Magic bar ($10.00) at your local auto store (throw away the liquid that comes with it).

So now we're at 32.00 for Z-1,2,6 and $40 if you want tire goop. Get your clay bar and you're ready to roll (Yes, new cars will benefit from claying also). I don't blame you for not wanting to spend $90 on an untried product.
Try it, you'll like it...

Here's a picture of my '95 Z... Zaino for life!!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Zaino??

Thanks for the recommendation, dsrpilot. Forty bucks sounds more reasonable and within my budget. I'll put them on order, use them and then report back to this forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You'll love the results

Duke

I recently bought a Black Pilot and also was concerned about protecting that beautiful finish.

I ended up buying the kit, and used it in the following sequence if I remember right: wash, claybar (because I originally waxed), z5, z5 (because I had some faint rub marks from my nose mask), z6, z2, z2, z6.

That was a month ago, this past weekend I applied z6, z2,z2,z6.

It looks outstanding! I feel goofy at times 'cause I find myself staring at my car, let alone the neighbors thinking I'm nuts.

I figure I'm good until November when I'll touch up with z2 again.

I'm sure you can get by with z2 (you decide whether or not you want the zfx addititve, I used it with), z6 and the car wash.

PS - wife thinks I'm crazy with all the time I spend polishing it - and its her's to drive. I remind her its my Dad's fault, for when I was a kid I had to wash his car every Saturday as part of my chores - starting with a '66 Colony Park, dark green. I can still hear him now *****ing because I left water spots and didn't chamois it down quite right. Oh well, I've made sure not to gripe too bad at my kids when they help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Zaino rocks!!! Guru Reports did a complete wax comparison of over 40 - 50 waxes and polymers and Zaino came out on top. The results showed that zaino easily last 7-8 months with on coat. I bought it for the MDX.

Check out these pics...

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts