Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other thread concerning the Zaino group buy makes this product sound like a dream and makes the shine unbelievable. :cool:

In the MDX board there was amention that the Zaino products are not actually a "wax" but some other substance. I'm considering using the Z-1, Z2/Z5, and Z-6 but have a few questions:

Would you recommend the Z2 or Z5 for a Starlight Silver Pilot?

How do the Zaino products hold up and protect against the salt and grime of winter driving in the Midwest compared to conventional waxes?

Cheese :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
How about for Evergreen Pearl

What Zaino products should I use for Evergreep Pearl? I haven't really researched the product well enough to know what I need....I just keep hearing how amazing Zaino products are. Any advice?

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Zaino is a polymer, not a wax. No carnauba -- all "man made".

Generally, the benefit of a polymer is that it lasts longer than wax. A good wax will provide protection and shine for a couple of months. A good polymer (Zaino, Klasse) will provide the protection and shine for 4+ months. The hotter the climate, the larger the difference (traditional waxes do melt off in high temps). Environmental pollutants can make a difference. I personally would opt for a polymer to cover the winter months of salt/grime/snow/slush.

On an SS, either z2 or z5 is fine. 6 of 1, half-a-dozen of the other.

WNYPilotguy - I'd use z5 on the EP; most of us w/darker MDXs prefer z5 (exclusively) on the darker colors. Take a peek on the MDX board's detailing section for some suggestions on a "first time" package of stuff to buy. There are a handful of threads on it -- at least 1 is a sticky thread @ the top IIRC.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Zaino user

I'm in the process of buying an Evergreen Pearl EX-L and plan to use my Zaino supply. Have had great success with it on my Nighthawk Black Acura TL-S. Z5 with the accelerator, spray. Order online, print and mail order form to Zainobros. You'll get the product in about 1 week. Great product.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree. Great product. Put Z2 on SS #09131 on Friday using the new ZFX drops instead of Z1 prep. It worked great. Saved a whole step. The hood got 2 coats the rest of the vehicle got one.
Sprayed the whole SUV with (Z6?) and it does look like a mirror.
This stuff is very good and there is absolutely no wax residue (dust) anywhere.
Don't forget to get the 100% cotton white Cannon or Fieldcrest towels.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Sounds ..

super complicated ... what happened to the days of wax on ... wax off !!!!

PrG

·
Registered
102 Posts
It actually is easier than wax. There is no wax dust. It goes on and comes off much easier than wax. The spray you use in between coats behaves like glass cleaner but dries much faster.
And polymers don't yellow like wax. They also stay on better.
My wife is very small and needs a ladder to reach the roof.
She said she wants to (once the humidity breaks here on the east coast) get two more coats on the roof and then forget about it until the late fall.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Zaino on Running Boards?

Last weekend I Z'd my Celica (because I wanted to practice before I tackled my week old Black EX-L). The results were fantastic especially for a light coloured (silver) vehicle.

Last night I Dawned, Clayed and Z7'd the Pilot to get ready for the weekend. One question though, should I Zaino the running boards? I am concerned that a combination of Z1, Z2 and Z6 will make them too slippery.

Any experienced Z users out there who can shed some light on this?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would not Zaino the running boards. I thought about using Zainos tire dressing on them but until I use it on the tires and see how slippery it is I will just wash and wipe the running boards down.
If you have small children/old parents you could make the boards very dangerous by using anything that makes the running boards the least bit slick.
I have not researched dressing the running boards yet. You could do a search at the sister Acura MDX site for running boards and see what you come up with.
Hope this helps a little.

#09131 SS EX

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't think it was necessary to clay down a brand new paint job?

db

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think whether you clay depends on how particular you want to get with your Zainoing......unless there is an obvious need. On one extreme there are those who never wax their car period. On the other end of the spectrum, there are those who treat their car better than some people treat their children.

Personally......I would consider myself as taking great pride in how my cars look and have used NuFinish for years. I'm going to try the Zaino (ZFX drops, Z2, Z6) and see what it looks like.

My question is......can you Zaino (or wax for that matter) your Pilot immediately after delivery or should you give the paint some time to cure?

·
Registered
23 Posts
First Coat of Zaino

Just finished the first run of Dawn, Clay, Z7, Z1, Z2, Z6 on my Nighthawk Black EX-L. These are amazing products. I never realized how many dark blue "mica" specks there were in the black paint. In full sunlight after Zaino, the paint almost takes on a dark blue look. Sure never saw that with the dealer's wax job. Hope to get another coat or two on tomorrow.:D

·
Registered
385 Posts
mredden,
did you have any issues with the Z2 on your black? Others recommended the Z5 in lieu of z2 to avoid a potential "muddied" look on the black that the z2 sometimes results in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Zaino on Black

I haven't noticed it with only two coats of Z2 (2nd coat on this am). Looks great to me but maybe it takes multiple coats for the problem to arise.
I understand that the Z2 gives a clearer finish and the website seems to indicate that you should put on Z2 after you use Z5.
BTW I am planning to buy some Z5 just because you do really notice the little hairline scratchs on the black surface. Ultimately I will end up with combined Z2/Z5 finish

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hooked on Zaino

Read all the treads and followed the advice on the Acura MDX board and Z'd our SS this morning (first time user). Took a total of a little less than 4 hours. We live in Las Vegas and the dry time was only 15 or 20 minutes. Looks better than any other wax I've ever used (and I've tried them all :)).

First dawned any dealer wax off, then used Z1 and Z2. Followed everyones three suggestions: (1) Only apply a very thin coat of Z1 and Z2, (2) make sure its dry before toweling off, and (3) use a 100% cotton towel.

If you're willing to put in 3-4 hours (plus drying time which will vary depending on temperature and humidity) to get the best shine you've ever seen then Zaino products are for you.

Planning on putting on the second coat of Z2 in the morning. By the way, did not see any streaking with the Z2 on the SS. My guess is the streaking is caused by either not following suggestions (1) or (2) above [mostly (2)]

·
Registered
592 Posts
Can't believe the shine with Zaino on SS

Excellent experience with Zaino. Thanks Worm !!!! I have been following the threads on Zaino for quite some time on the acurtamdx.org site as well as here.

Followed the instructions as posted on this forum.

Car wash with Dawn (don't know if this was necessary)
Z7 car wash (you need very little of Z7. wasted quite a bit as first
time user)
Z1 polish lok (dried very quickly here in the bay area)
Z2'ed the car with 100% cotton towel as suggested.

Couple of things to note.
One suggestion posted by someone here on this forum to climb on the rear wheel to get access to the top of the vehicle was fantastic. (Its amazing to see how huge this vehicle this !)
Applicator pretty much useless. Used huge 100% cotton towel for all coats

Used the same process both on our SS Pilot and Black Accord.

Accord (about 6 years old) is looking really nice and shiny. Maybe I will go apply another coat of Z2 tomorrow.

For both cars... took about 4.5 hours total.. Am dead tired now though. Feels good though..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Me too.

I bought my Zaino supplies through the MDX group buy (thanks, Worm). Gave the full treatment to my SS Pilot today:

Dawn Wash
Clay
Z7
Z1
Z2
Z6
Z16 on rubber
Z9/Z10 on leather

I used the Z2 on the wheels and windows and it came out great.

I used Microfiber towells instead of cotton and they worked well.

The total treatment took about 3 hours, and the results were fantastic. These are great products.

Kit
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
592 Posts
Applied another coat of Z2 today and then I had forgotten about the Gloss Enhancer. That was just amazing.

Did both the SS pilot and the Black Accord.

The shine is just amazing on the black. Made me think for a while, Maybe I should have gotten a black :) But then I remembered the reason we didnt want the black was it gets too hot in the summer.

The 6 year old black accord is looking amazingly shiny, wet and glossy. Can't believe I was using turtle wax all these years !!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Can anyone (Worm ?) answer this question.

For the first time I Zaino'ed my Pilot (and the Accord) with Z7, Z1, Z2 and then the Gloss Enhancer -- yesterday. How often does one do this whole process ? Or am I right in thinking that for regular maintenance (once a month), I would just car-wash with z7, a coat of z2 (maybe) and then the Gloss Enhancer. Does that sound about right ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Glad to hear everyone's having a good experience w/their Zaino :)

03Pilot - your approach is fine. A coat or two of Zaino will last 4-6 months, assuming you wash regularly (2-4 weeks) w/z7, as there's a little z2 in the z7 wash and it "renews" it. The z6 gloss enhancer also "renews" it.

Greater frequency is entirely up to you. I go for the supershine, and the "wow" appears somewhere around the 4th coat or so. I typically do another coat-or-three (depending on my mood) every 4-6 weeks.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts