Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

How much will you pay for a Zaino treatment?

• $100

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • $150

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $200

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • $250

• Over $250

• Nothing. I'd rather do it myself!

Votes: 26 81.3%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would you pay to have someone Zaino your pilot?

We've had the Pilot for 3 weeks now and I just did the first wash job on it. 2 hours to wash, chamois and vacuum. That's about all the effort I feel like putting into the cleaning process... knowing that the likelihood of rain increases with the more effort I put into it!

I admire the work I've seen in the pics posted and am sure they don't do the Zaino effort justice. In my younger days, I had the time and enthusiasm to do something like the Zaino treatment. Not now. That's just to darn much work!

I'd bet there's money to be made for that sort of detailing. I know I'd much rather pay than do it myself.

Do many of you feel the same?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't like taking our cars to the car wash. They consistently do a crappy job no matter where I go. I wash 'em myself. Forget the detailing! Then you have to worry about buffer burns, etc. :eek: Then the wax melts off at 80mph on the freeway!

Do it yourself! Better stuff, better look, longer lasting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The last couple of times we've had the Audi detailed, it has cost over $100. However, after my work last weekend, and especially after the results from using the clay bar, I am reluctant to pay someone else that much again for a "regular" wash and wax. All told, it took me a little over 3 hours to wash the car 2 times (to make sure I didn't miss any spots), rub down with the clay bar, wash again, dry (silicone blade and microfiber towel), then apply 2 coats of Zaino. I found holes in that time to wash the Pilot, and to wipe down the interior and windows of the A4.

I figure I've saved about $30/hour doing it myself (though I did spend a bit on supplies), and have the pride of a glowing car that I made shiny. I doubt I'll pay someone else to do this kind of work for a long time coming. YMMV. I am planning on doing the Pilot next weekend. I'll post pics.

-Eric

·
Registered
602 Posts
So is Zaino Really that Special???

I've read so much on these forums about how terrific Zaino is and I'm sure it is a very good product. I'm willing to put in the extra work and expense to use Zaino if it really is that good. Many of you have posted pictures of your freshly Zaino'd Pilots and they do look great. But, here's a picture of my somewhat dirty Pilot that hasn't been waxed since early July. I used Zymol that I purchased from Costco. Am I missing something, or can you tell the difference between the Zaino'd Pilot and the Zymol'd Pilot?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Gourma4 said:
it took me a little over 3 hours to wash the car 2 times (to make sure I didn't miss any spots), rub down with the clay bar, wash again, dry (silicone blade and microfiber towel), then apply 2 coats of Zaino. I found holes in that time to wash the Pilot, and to wipe down the interior and windows of the A4.
You must be some kinda' work animal. It took me almost twice as long to give a full Zaino treatment (except for clay) to my Pilot. Sure, it's bigger and I took a few breaks, but still, I was pooped when I was done.

:23: :24: :23: :24: :23: :24:

I find the Zaino polishes difficult to completely remove. A lot of buffing to get rid of all the streaks. Looks great, but too much work. I'll probably just use up the rest of the kit within about 2 years and when the bloom is off the rose, go to something easier. I ain't getting any younger.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: So is Zaino Really that Special???

guitarman said:
SNIP...
Am I missing something, or can you tell the difference between the Zaino'd Pilot and the Zymol'd Pilot?
I don't think you're missing a thing, your ride looks great! :4:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: So is Zaino Really that Special???

gymeni said:
I don't think you're missing a thing, your ride looks great! :4:
I agree gymeni. And guitarman, like we discussed Saturday at the D.C. meet, Zaino sounds like too much work. I'll stick with my Meguiar's clay bar and Eagle One Polish (and wash/detailer products). But I will do it myself instead of paying someone to detail my Pilot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Again I must step in :soapbox:

I really think that regardless of the product you use the largest amount of work is in the preparation.

I have tried lots of different brands of wax and by far Zaino is the easiest to use. It goes on and comes off like nothing else and it lasts better than "regular" waxes, IMHO.

Kryngy, I am sure you have heard this before but you should use very little Zaino and then it has to be completely dry before taking it off, it sounds to me like you either used too much or tried to take it off too soon.

I hope this helps answer a couple of questions or doubts, regardless of what product you choose if you spend time in the preparation and then in the application you car is going to look great.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
PSUPilot said:
Kryngy, I am sure you have heard this before but you should use very little Zaino and then it has to be completely dry before taking it off, it sounds to me like you either used too much or tried to take it off too soon.
I don't think so, PSUPilot . I followed the directions to the letter (leave for 30 min.) If anything, some of the areas were on almost an hour. Actually, I thought I had left it too long, so I tried a test area and removed it after 20 min. No difference.

And I could not have used too much. I used one of the 2 oz. bottles that comes with the cure accelerator, and gave it two coats with the gloss enhancer in between, just like the directions say. I even had enough left over to give the hood and roof a 3rd coat. The horizontal surfaces always take the worst beating from the sun.

The bulk of the polish is easy enough to remove, although it's difficult to see, even on my Sage Brush Pearl. It dries clearer than most other products. The problem was the streaks. It took a lot of buffing to make them disappear. And I found little difference between the Z2 and Z5. They both streaked the same and involved about the same amount of work to remove the streaks, both before and after the gloss enhancer. I've used everything in the kit at least once (except for the clay bars) and varied the application every which way to see if it's any easier. Sorry, it's not.

Don't get me wrong, the results are better than any other product I've used but WAY more work.

·
Registered
288 Posts
krygny,

Maybe the amount of work you have had to use in the past is different than the amount of work I have had to use. Another possibility is that 30 minutes to an hour was not enough drying time. I know once when I was applying Zaino on a cold rainy day in March it took about 2-3 hours to dry (Z-1 and Z-5).:)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
time for paint to cure b4 waxing?

Conventional wisdom used to be to let the paint on a new vehicle cure for about 6 months or so before putting any type of wax on it. Does this still hold true?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: time for paint to cure b4 waxing?

speedlever said:
Conventional wisdom used to be to let the paint on a new vehicle cure for about 6 months or so before putting any type of wax on it. Does this still hold true?
That question came up at the new owner orientation my dealer holds. Their advice, treat it like Chicago voting, wax early and often. I think it's a good practice, as it makes regular washing and bug/tar removal much much easier.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: time for paint to cure b4 waxing?

speedlever said:
I think that's a myth, and I don't know how it started. Factory paint is cured immediately in ovens before the car is assembled. Perhaps it's true for a shop paint job, but I don't know that either.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It may well be myth. I have no way of knowing and hope that someone with industry knowledge might illuminate us.

All to often we do things on a feel-good basis with no factual basis to back up the actions. Perhaps those 3000 mile oil change intervals fall into that category with modern oils these days. ;-)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like the poll data does NOT support my thinking that there's money to be made doing the Zaino thang.

Oh well. ;-)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Here's a link to an individual business that will perform a Zaino detail.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Too bad they're not in my neck of the woods. I'd pay $200 once or twice a year for this service.

I just wonder how they can do it all in 3-4 hours.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts