Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed waxing for the first time. It is so easy and great results. I had time only for one cycle. I did Z5 -> Z6 -> Z2.
I did not like Z6 though. It actually spoiled a bit with spots that did not go. Otherwise my car looks like a glass :)
Here are some sample photos

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Photo-2

Photo-2

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Photo-3

Photo-3

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Photo-4

Photo-4

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Zaino

I've had Z-6 streak my finish from time to time. An email to Sal Zaino, and he recommended just washing it with Z-7 and then re-do the Z-6 and everthing was fine. You have to remember to not let the Z-6 dry. Spray a small area, immediately wipe, turn the rag and buff up a bit. Watch out for temperature of the metal; hot metal and Z-6 dries very quickly. Another trick is to Wash (Z-7), then use Z-6 before using Z-2. Z-2 goes on much more easily (if that is possible). Always finish with Z-6.

With a brand new car, I'd put away the Z-5 for a while. Z-5 has more filler material to fill in some of those swirl marks that you eventually get on black cars. That filler material comes at the cost of a little optical clarity. Of course, finishing with Z-2 gives you the optical clarity back (as evidenced by your amazing pictures). You'd be better off with a second coat of Z-2.

My Pilot is sandstone, so you really don't get those amazing pictures, but here is a picture of my 8 year old black car on Zaino.

Zaino for life!!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
IMPRESSIVE!

These pics are unbelievable, especially the one of the driver's side door. I can actually see how many lines are in the concrete and how many rocks are laying about. I am definately going to get some Zaino... I looked at our local Auto Zone and couldn't find any. Where do you find it and how much, mas o menos, does it cost? Congrats on a beautiful Pilot!!! Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Zaino

You can only get it on the web or from a local distributor (one in most states).

http://www.zainostore.com

They have a 'starter' kit now, which is good, but might be a little pricey for some. Minimum is Z-1, Z-2, Z-6, Z-7 for around $40 (before shipping). You should also clay your car first for best results. Check out some of the detailing forums for advise on claying your car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: IMPRESSIVE!

teachinkids said:
Where do you find it and how much, mas o menos, does it cost?
A simple web search answered all my questions...except one. Has anbody used the product on a white car? All the pics I've seen have been on darker cars to showcase the product's effectiveness. I don't think you'd see the same stunning resuts on a lighter car, or would you...?

And do you HAVE to use all the products they recommend? I mean, come on, ZFX, Z7, Z5, Z2 and repeat...? Sounds like a chore.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Re: IMPRESSIVE!

teachinkids said:
A simple web search answered all my questions...except one. Has anbody used the product on a white car? All the pics I've seen have been on darker cars to showcase the product's effectiveness. I don't think you'd see the same stunning resuts on a lighter car, or would you...?

And do you HAVE to use all the products they recommend? I mean, come on, ZFX, Z7, Z5, Z2 and repeat...? Sounds like a chore.
I've used it on my silver '01 Passat and it looks even better than my black Pilot! Buy the car wash and the tire stuff too, it is great!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Zaino, what a chore - not

I've been using Zaino for 5-6 years, and It's the best product that I've tried in the 30+ years I've been working on cars. I have not tried every product on the market, and other people have different criteria.

Here's my assessment:

If you wash, clay, wash. Then it would be the same regardless of the product you use. Claying is a good thing and makes your finish better regardless of the product you choose to use.
It's a wash... (pun intended)

Z1. You only need to use it the first time you Zaino, or about once a year thereafter. My first bottle of Z1 lasted about 4 years with 3 cars. $8.95 / 4 years = $2.23/year.

Z2. The key to all zaino products is a thin application. When you think you couldn't possibly be putting on enough Z2, then that's probably the right amount. Zaino lists Z2 as being able to do a corvette 20 times from an 8 ounce bottle. A Pilot is probably about 2 x the sheet metal (fiberglass for the vette) of the corvette, so figure that Z2 should last you between 1-2 years depending upon the number of cars you wax and frequency of waxing. $12.95 / 2 years = $6.47/year.

Z6. Z6 is very concentrated, and you should only use about 1/2 an ounce for a normal size car. This step is optional, but mandatory in my book. Z6 clarifies the shine even further. To prove it, try this test. Zaino your car, after the Z2 take the local paper and read it in the reflections off your finish. Apply Z6 per directions, and the text of the paper will be clearer and easier to read. Also, Z6 should be used after a car wash to slick up the shine, but again, totally optional. I use Z6 at about twice the rate of Z2, but it depends upon frequency of waxing and washing. Figure $9.95 for a 16 oz. bottle that should last a year = $9.95 / year.

Z7. Car wash. Use one capful per gallon of water. Purely optional again, but it is part of a system. You need a car wash anyway, so why not use one that is designed to work WITH the protection you put on the car? At $7.95 for a 16 oz bottle that should last a year, again, depending upon frequency of wash.

Those are all the parts of the Zaino system that I consider essential. (Z1, Z2, Z6, Z7)

So, we're at $26.60/year for multiple cars for Zaino.

And a 3 step process the FIRST time you wax, and then a max of 2 steps thereafter (Z2 and Z6).

A couple other thoughts:

There's no dust to deal with after Z2, Z2 should last about 6 months, and is very easy to apply.

Z5 probably isn't needed immediately for newer cars and is less likely to be used for light colored cars becaue swirls can't be seen as easily.

I like the tire gloss (Z16) better than anything else I've ever tried.

I don't consider ZFX a necessity. If I had a detailing shop, where I was trying to get multiple coats on a car in a single day, yeah I'd use it.

Hope this is helpful...

·
Registered
602 Posts
DSRPILOT

OK, I'm willing to give Zaino a try. I've already used the tire gloss and leather conditioner and I do like both products. I've been using Zymol car wash and cleaner/wax on my cars for about 2 years and have no complaints. Two of my cars are black and neither shows swirl marks. But, everyone is raving about Zaino, so what the heck.

I'm afraid to use a clay bar, and I don't think I need it, so I'm going to skip that step. I understand that I need to remove the Zymol so I should first wash the car with Dawn liquid detergent. Is this correct? Then, I'll wash the car with Z7? Then use Z2? I'm in no rush to reapply, so can I skip the ZFX? Then I apply the Z6? Is that it?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Re: DSRPILOT

guitarman said:
OK, I'm willing to give Zaino a try. I've already used the tire gloss and leather conditioner and I do like both products. I've been using Zymol car wash and cleaner/wax on my cars for about 2 years and have no complaints. Two of my cars are black and neither shows swirl marks. But, everyone is raving about Zaino, so what the heck.

I'm afraid to use a clay bar, and I don't think I need it, so I'm going to skip that step. I understand that I need to remove the Zymol so I should first wash the car with Dawn liquid detergent. Is this correct? Then, I'll wash the car with Z7? Then use Z2? I'm in no rush to reapply, so can I skip the ZFX? Then I apply the Z6? Is that it?
For the first application after washing/prep, you need to use either (1) Z1 for the first coat of Zaino applied or (2) ZFX added to either Z2 or Z5 as a substitute for the Z1 first coat. Then you can followup with additional coats of Z2 and finish with Z6. I went the ZFX route.

As drspilot stated, the amount of Zaino applied to your Pilot is very minimal. My first application was probably about an ounce of product. Now, as I have become a little more proficient in its application, is probably closer to 1/2 to 3/4 oz.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Claying

dsrpilot said:
If you wash, clay, wash. Then it would be the same regardless of the product you use. Claying is a good thing and makes your finish better regardless of the product you choose to use.
I used a clay bar for the first time a couple of weeks ago on my CRV. I basically clayed just the hood and, while I can see where claying will remove debris and such from the surface, after doing it to just that small area I can not imagine doing it to an entire vehicle -- especially one as large as the Pilot!! I put a lot of effort into what little I clayed on my CRV!

I guess I'm just not one to spend 3-4 hours cleaning a vehicle. :(

·
Registered
602 Posts
Re: Re: DSRPILOT

Twinkie said:
As drspilot stated, the amount of Zaino applied to your Pilot is very minimal. My first application was probably about an ounce of product. Now, as I have become a little more proficient in its application, is probably closer to 1/2 to 3/4 oz.
Thanks Twinkie. What happens if I use too much Z2? Is it harder to remove, gives inferior results, or both? The reason I'm asking is that I tend to over-apply just to make sure I'm getting full coverage.

And another question. Do I need to be especially careful of not getting Zaino on plastics and moldings. I've used waxes before that have ruined black moldings.

·
Registered
82 Posts
guitarman

1. I'd disagree with the clay part. I even clay my new cars. It's the part that makes that rag slide off the car even on just a slightly sloped body panel.
But hey, if you're not comfortable with it DON'T DO IT. Maybe the Zymol cleaner does essentially the same thing as the clay.

2. Do the dawn wash. You don't need to finish up with Z7. You're good to go at this point.

3. Apply Z1 first. Don't use a lot of Z1, put it on nice and light, not a lot of rubbing. As soon as you're done go to 4 below. Z1 does not need to dry or haze.

4. Apply Z2. You don't need to remove Z1, just put Z2 right over it. Try Z2 on your windows first to get the amount correct. On the windows you can see how much you're really putting on. Put a spot of Z2 on your applicator (the one you get when you order from Zaino) about the size of a dime. Squeeze it into the applicator a little, and apply it to your side window, then do the rear side window, then one of the other side windows. That should probably be about the right amount of coverage. Now move to the body panels now that you can see how much a dime of Zaino can do.

5. Let the Z2 dry to a haze. It's hard to see if you've put it on correctly, so use your towel to check. It'll feel dry. Shouldn't be over an hour or so depending upon humidity and temperature.

6. Towel off the Z2. Flip your towel and do it again. The second pass it should be real smooth and the towel will move easily.

7. Spray on a VERY LIGHT mist of Z6 on a small area (1/2 hood, door panel, etc). Immediately spread it with your towel (or applicator), take your towel and dry the Z6, flip the towel and wipe it off buffing slightly. Now your finish should be really slick.
This is best done not in direct sunlight or with hot sheet metal if possible.

That's all you need to do...

·
Registered
82 Posts
guitarman

Too much Z2 just means that you wasted a little product. Other than than there's no harm, no foul.

As for trim, anything that has a really rough texture you might want to stay away from. But other than that black trim is not a problem.

For instance I always Zaino my black door handles on my Pilot and they look great.

I also get my headlight lenses, taillight lenses, etc... Not a problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Claying - gymeni

When I clay, I essentially just use the clay like a sponge I would use to wash the car.

Dip it in the lubricant - I use equal parts of Dawn and water.

Rub it on the panel. The first pass it will move somewhat hard, second pass it will be easier. Now it's time to move to the next panel.

Turn the clay, relube, and forge ahead. When I clay, it generally doesn't take me much longer than a wash.

DON'T DROP THE CLAY ! It's real easy to do on the first pass as the clay runs a little rough over the panel.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: Claying - gymeni

dsrpilot said:
When I clay, I essentially just use the clay like a sponge I would use to wash the car.

Dip it in the lubricant - I use equal parts of Dawn and water.

Rub it on the panel. The first pass it will move somewhat hard, second pass it will be easier. Now it's time to move to the next panel.

Turn the clay, relube, and forge ahead. When I clay, it generally doesn't take me much longer than a wash.

DON'T DROP THE CLAY ! It's real easy to do on the first pass as the clay runs a little rough over the panel.
I used MacGuire's claybar and its accompanying solution. They instruct you to spray the solution on in small sections and clay from there. I totally understand the "don't drop the clay" warning. Every article I've read on claying advises that; they say it renders the bar useless after dropping.

Thanks for your input. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Re: Re: Claying - gymeni

gymeni said:
I totally understand the "don't drop the clay" warning. Every article I've read on claying advises that; they say it renders the bar useless after dropping.

Thanks for your input. :)
I wondered about the "Don't Drop" warning myself. I assume that if you drop the clay it could pick up contaminants like grit, small stones, etc. from the ground that will then scratch your car. That's why I'm particularly careful about not dropping the sponge when I wash my car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dropping the Clay

That's it. The clay will pick up everything in it's path and stick to it.

If you drop it, remove the big pieces, then try to mold the area that fell into a seperate ball from what didn't hit the ground. Then lop that ball of grit off and toss it away.

If you're really anal, go to your local auto parts store and get a new one.

I normally use the Clay Magic brand, because it seems to be the cheapest ($10). I throw away the liquid that comes with it because it contains polymer waxes. I don't know about the Meguiar's brand of liquid. I like to use the dawn & water mix.

Just rub the panel until the clay moves very easily. If you look at the clay at this point, you'll likely see all the contaminants that came off. That's why you turn or mold the clay to get a clean piece for the next panel.

Generally, I get each of my 3 cars at least once, sometimes twice before I throw it away. I probably clay a car once in a 2 year period.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts