Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this forum I am completely sold to Zaino Bro's products and am going to place my order next week. After reading Zaino's tips and application guide it looks like application of either Z2 (for clear coated paint) or Z3 (regular paint) is recommended, too. However, Mr. PSUPilot zaino'ed his cars by"...washed it with Z-7; then proceeded to apply Z-1, Z-5, Z-6, Z-5, and Z-6. " and I did not see the Z2 in his procedure. Should I order Z2 as well? If so, should I zaino my 2 weeks old Pilot as dish soap, clay, Z-7, Z-1, Z-5, Z-6, Z-2, Z-6? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
385 Posts
UseZ2 (clearcoat)...not Z3 (for regular paint). Just about all cars now come with clearcoat.

You may elect to use Z5(swirl remover) instead of Z2 if you have a dark (black) pilot.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You need to choose either Z2 or Z5. Most zainoholics around here suggest Z5 for the darker colors and Z2 for the lighter colors. Also, if you get the ZFX drops, you can forego the the Z1. This eliminates one step in the process. I went this route and was satisfied. And make sure you go with the clay bar too, it made a big difference on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just applied a coat of Z2 to (black Pilot). I've always used Z5 in the past based on recommendations.
Must say, I'm equally pleased with the shine of the Z2 and don't notice the "muddy" effect that others noted. Perhaps the formula has changed?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Z2 vs. Z5

Straight from the Zaino web site:

9. You can switch to Z-2 as soon as you are happy with the way the paint finish looks. Example, no more swirls, scratches etc. It's up to you. Z-2 has higher optical properties than Z-5. You can go from Z-2 to Z-5 and then back to Z-2 as often as you want. Z-2 and Z-5 are 100% compatible and interchangeable. You should always end with Z-2 as the last coat because of its higher optics.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I wouldn't buy BOTH z2 and z5. Pick one. IMO the z5 looks better on darker colors, as mentioned above. I haven't used the potentially reformulated z2 that davemac refers to (I believe it was reformulated last spring) so that may no longer be a valid conclusion.

Nonetheless, I think the z5 has MARGINAL swirl/scratch hiding properties, and expecting z5 to cover 'em up before using z2 is wishful thinking, and any "higher optical properties" from the z2 on top of z5 will be virtually undetectable. Bottom line: buying both is a waste of $.

·
Registered
288 Posts
TheWorm said:
buying both is a waste of $.
This is exactly what the Zaino distributor told me when I went to purchase my Zaino products. He asked what color car I was going to apply it to and made the recommendation of Z-5 for the darker colors. He also said he never has used Z-2 on some of his dark cars and that you probably cannot notice the difference, but if I got it home and got a couple of coats of Z-5 on and wanted to try the Z-2 he would sell it to me then, but not to spend the money right now. I thought this was very admirable for someone selling the products.

PilotMac, I would follow the steps you stated in your first post, with the exception of only using Z-5 not both Z-5 and Z-2, and you should be fine. The only reason I used Z-1 instead of ZXF was b/c I could not get any info from anyone who had used it, if you can find someone who thinks it works as well as Z-1 I would switch over to that (1 less step!).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you...

Thanks everyone! I have a havasu blue metalic Pilot so I will just order the Z2 and give it a go.

Thanks for all your inputs! You guys are awesome!!!:cool:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Thank you...

PilotMac said:
Thanks everyone! I have a havasu blue metalic Pilot so I will just order the Z2 and give it a go.

Thanks for all your inputs! You guys are awesome!!!:cool:
You wash yours?

Geeze, some people!
We have HB because it does not need to be washed.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Thank you...

N_Jay said:

You wash yours?

Geeze, some people!
We have HB because it does not need to be washed.
N_Jay wears havasu blue-colored underwear, too, because it does not........ :eek: :D :p

:2:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Thank you...

kemosabe said:

N_Jay wears havasu blue-colored underwear, too, because it does not........ :eek: :D :p

:2:
Kemo, no picture for this? You must need a vacation, you are starting to slip!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know this thread is about dead but...

This thread is about dead, and way off track anyway, but I did trade emails with Sal Zaino about Z2 / Z5. Here's his reply...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They are definetely, different...
Z-5 was designed for swirls and minor scratches for both clear coat and non- clear coat.. Z-2 does has very little filling capable, but not like Z-5.

You can switch to Z-2 as soon as you are happy with the way the paint finish looks. Example, no more swirls, scratches etc. It's up to you. Z-2 has higher optical properties than Z-5. You can go from Z-2 to Z-5 and then back to Z-2 as often as you want. Z-2 and Z-5 are 100% compatible and interchangeable. You should always end with Z-2 as the last coat because of its higher optics.

Glad you like Zaino Polish products. I will always strive to
manufacture the best products in the industry.

Sal

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here's the result of Z2

Sorry.... Couldn't resist...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts