Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What was your very first car/truck you owned ? (your purchase or was gifted to you by family/friend/job)
What happened to it ? (sold or still owned by you/family)

Other vehicles you owned after your first ?

Reasons for changing from first to other ( if it applies to you)

What is your current daily driver now ?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dodge Colt gifted to me from parent , vehicle died from age and lack of caring....
New purchase...1985 Honda Accord...... then a used Mazda 626 - 2dr coupe, purchased Mazda from a friend to help her finances, traded both in for. bigger vehicle, the..
New purchase ..1988 Nissan maxima... traded up again as family got larger... upto....
Used with about 7K miles...1995 Nissan pathfinder ..... totaled by. ***...
Used purchase 2008 Honda Pilot....... current daily

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
343 Posts
My first car in high school was a 96 dodge neon. Stick shift, learned how to perfect the clutch in a few months. It was an ok car, just wasn’t appealing to. High school kid.

sold the neon and bought a lifted 97 GMC Sierra half ton. Single cab, big tires, sounded good. I loved it. I owned it for 8 years. In that 8 years I spent almost 10 grand to keep it running. It had the notorious nv3500 half gen transmission that would pop out of first, and reverse gear when you were Letting the clutch out. It was scary. So I pulled the trans to rebuild it. It was awesome, very time consuming but it was cool to say that I could do it (with some help). About a month after the rebuild, it threw an input shaft bearing. Called the trans shop, they warrantied the bearing. So pulled the trans again, replaced it,put it back together. All good for 6 months. Until it started popping out of gear again. So a month after contemplating what to do, I dropped a few grand on a new first gen nv3500 that guaranteed will not pop out of fear, a new transfer case cause the 4wd was shot. All good, never had any issues with it since then. Then about two years after that the rear end blew up, So of course I wanted to upgrade it, threw a Posi rear end in it, upgraded shocks, did a rear wheel disc brake conversion. Came out awesome, worked great. Never got to test out The posi Tho :( a month after that the engine burned some valves, lost compression, misfire galore. So I sold it for $800 to a coworker. At that point I was so sick of dropping money into it and having stuff still blow up and backfire. So I wanted out from it. Two weeks later I bought my 05 pilot. I’ve never loved a vehicle more. Very happy with it.

I know that was a long story, but what I learned from it is: lifting vehicles tears everything up. I rebuilt the front end of that truck probably 6 times. Ball joints tie rods steering box, everything. It’s not worth a lift. So now I have a stock pilot, that drives smooth, has AC, leather, awd, heated seats, I freaking love it.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Okay this is going to be a complicated one since I had so many "first vehicles."

My first vehicle was a 1946 Chevrolet PU. It belonged to my Granddad but he let me use it when I was living with them on the farm. I was 14 at the time and had my permit.

My second, first vehicle was a 1936 Packard. I worked part time in town at a gas station/garage. The owner liked me and gave me to use the Packard. I loved that car. 3 on the tree, Packard motor with suicide doors.

My third, first vehicle was a 1962 VW. Belonged to my folks. It had been passed down from my Granddad, see above, after he got on a VW kick. Bought the 62 Bug in 62. In 1964 he saw his first VW fastback and had to have one. Gave the bug to the folks. Dad drove it and mom drove the big car. in 1969 dad bought a Ford Maverick Grabber and I got the VW to drive to school, for about 3 months. Long story short dad borrowed the VW back for a day while his car was being serviced. Middle of winter coming home from work stopped on the icy freeway due to a wreck. The guy behind him couldn't and the bug got squashed from behind.

My real first car. 1972 Dodge charger with a 318 v8, torquflight transmission and posi track rear end. Got it for a song on Dec 31st and they wanted it off the lot for tax purposes. Had been a special order by a farmer for his daughter. Wanted a powerful transmission and rear end but a smaller v8 for getting back and forth to school on the dirt often muddy roads.

in the course of a couple of years I was able to acquire a nearly pristine 426 Hemi that was rebuilt, stroked, bored and blue printed. Added an Edelbrock manifold, duel Carter carbs. Eventually added a Chance transmission 4 speed on the floor with OD. It was a screaming sleeper. I never wanted it to look hot, I preferred knowing it was hot.

I finally sold it a few years later after college, marriage and a kid on the way. Man I miss that thing.

I've run the gamut of vehicles after that from a Ford and a Chrysler mini van, kids were little, to a PU, to an S class benz, back to a PU, which I still have for towing, to a 2013 Pilot touring and now a 2020 Passport Touring.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
The quick summary is in my signature (with links), but my true first drives were my cousin's VW bug and my parents' 1968 Barracuda. It was my first joyride car. I caught hell, but picking up all of my friends one by one and packing them into the 'cuda was worth it.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
I’ve only owned three vehicles.

My first was a 1990 Honda Civic that my parents gifted to me when I graduated from college in the late 90’s. That was a great little car.

Home ownership and all its associated chores necessitated my first pickup truck, a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab. That is the only new vehicle I have owned. I passed the Civic along to my in-laws. A couple years after purchasing the Tacoma my wife and I started our family. When the kids were younger we managed to fit booster seats in the rear “seats”, but as they got older and larger the complaints about lack of space started and didn’t diminish. After about two years of that I had enough. That was in late 2015.

I knew I was going to get another truck, the question was full size, Ridgeline, or Tacoma. I don’t tow, so full size was out. I considered the Ridgeline for about 30 seconds until I found where the spare tire is located (it’s not in an ideal location if you’re hauling anything in the bed and get a flat). So it came down to the new model third gen Tacoma or a slightly used second gen Tacoma. I test drove a 2016 Tacoma and was less than impressed with the engine/tranny combo. So that started the search for a double cab Tacoma with a 6 foot bed. It took me six months to find one since most used double cab models have the five foot bed. One day I just happened to take a walk and found my current truck staring at me. It had just been traded in at the local Honda dealer a couple days earlier. That’s the rig that’s in my signature.

My wife’s daily driver is a 2005 Pilot, which is how I ended up a member of this great forum.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
This is my kind of thread...

-1997 Accord LX Sedan F22 4AT - First car, hand me down from my parents. Slow but reliable, stolen while in college.
-1999 ML320 4WD - Handed down from my grandparents when the T-Case blew up. $900 junk yard T-case gave me 4 years of Benz driving goodness in high school and early college. Had a CEL that refused to clear even though everything was fine so sold it to a guy who ships used Benzes to Africa.
-1997 Pathfinder VG33 4AT 4WD - Bought after the Accord was stolen. The VG33 was a tractor engine, slow but very reliable.
-2008 Sonata SE V6 - My wife's first car bought around this time in my car history timeline. We still own it to this day and I DD it.
-2001 Pathfinder VQ35 5MT 4WD - Opportunity came up to upgrade Pathfinders, the engine on this one made 250 vs. 180 and I could get a manual. LOVED this and one of my biggest regrets trading it in.
-2011 Civic Si Sedan - First car purchased out of college. Great fun, awesome engine and transmission, horrible seats for someone 6'3", shoulders and rib cage like an NFL lineman and on the heavy side.
-2012 Tacoma DCSB V6 6MT 4WD - Traded the Civic in 11 months later for this. LOVED this truck too, another big regret but my wife was pregnant and we were looking to buy a house so monthly payments had to be minimized.
-2006 Accord Sedan EX-L K24 5MT - Traded the Tacoma to own this outright. Great little family car, always loved the look of these Accords. A great car.
-2011 Rogue SL AWD - Hand me down from my mom when she got a Jeep Wrangler. My wife drove this. We gave my mom the Sonata as a yard sale runabout and for taking into the city but got the Sonata back when my mom got her GLC 300.
-2012 Silverado LS 4.8 4WD EC - Traded the Accord on this. My dad got a '15 Silverado so I traded the Accord and paid the difference to him. Good truck. Slow but reliable and being an LS was a good equipment level for me. The extended cab was not great for car seats.
-2015 Pilot EX-L AWD - Traded the Rogue and Silverado on this for the wife. This is when we retook possession of the Sonata as my DD.
-2014 Traverse LT2 AWD - Got a great deal on this about a year after buying the Pilot. Was offered $750 for the Sonata in trade so I DD the Sonata and drive the Traverse on weekends/evenings for family duty.
-1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan 283 3MT - Got this about 6 years ago. My grandfather bought the car from the original owner in SC, sold it to a buddy of his who parked it in a field in Monterey, VA for 30 years while only putting 1,000 miles on it. Don't ever plan on getting rid of it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Will that be all, sir? Fries with that?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
I’ve only owned three vehicles.

My first was a 1990 Honda Civic that my parents gifted to me when I graduated from college in the late 90’s. That was a great little car.

Home ownership and all its associated chores necessitated my first pickup truck, a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab. That is the only new vehicle I have owned. I passed the Civic along to my in-laws. A couple years after purchasing the Tacoma my wife and I started our family. When the kids were younger we managed to fit booster seats in the rear “seats”, but as they got older and larger the complaints about lack of space started and didn’t diminish. After about two years of that I had enough. That was in late 2015.

I knew I was going to get another truck, the question was full size, Ridgeline, or Tacoma. I don’t tow, so full size was out. I considered the Ridgeline for about 30 seconds until I found where the spare tire is located (it’s not in an ideal location if you’re hauling anything in the bed and get a flat). So it came down to the new model third gen Tacoma or a slightly used second gen Tacoma. I test drove a 2016 Tacoma and was less than impressed with the engine/tranny combo. So that started the search for a double cab Tacoma with a 6 foot bed. It took me six months to find one since most used double cab models have the five foot bed. One day I just happened to take a walk and found my current truck staring at me. It had just been traded in at the local Honda dealer a couple days earlier. That’s the rig that’s in my signature.

My wife’s daily driver is a 2005 Pilot, which is how I ended up a member of this great forum.
I looked for a Tacoma before I bought my 2008 Pilot. I couldn't find anything within 300 miles of me that wasn't beat to crap or extremely expensive. Apparently everyone wants those trucks.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Will that be all, sir? Fries with that?
I finally am averaging more than 1 year per vehicle since I got my license. And with the wife being in PA school for the next 2 years we should be set until she graduates and we possibly look to move somewhere with more property.

Then it's game on again for me!:devilish:

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
I looked for a Tacoma before I bought my 2008 Pilot. I couldn't find anything within 300 miles of me that wasn't beat to crap or extremely expensive. Apparently everyone wants those trucks.
Yeah, they are reliable used rigs with premium price tags. I had two, what I deemed fair, offers rejected at other dealerships because they thought one or two year used models should sell for more than a new one of equivalent trim level.

I sold my 2003 within a couple days after posting the ad. Had I posted it on a Saturday morning it would have sold same day. A good used Tacoma will sell quickly.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Yeah, they are reliable used rigs with premium price tags. I had two, what I deemed fair, offers rejected at other dealerships because they thought one or two year used models should sell for more than a new one of equivalent trim level.

I sold my 2003 within a couple days after posting the ad. Had I posted it on a Saturday morning it would have sold same day. A good used Tacoma will sell quickly.
Only vehicle I had sell more easily than my Tacoma was my dad's old Excursion. Apparently they are highly desirable, especially in clean and stock condition like his was. We dropped it at the park and ride, during the 20 minute drive home someone left a voicemail saying they had cash and were waiting for us to come back with the title.

Reactions: Jack Vogt
1 - 12 of 12 Posts