Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot AWD SE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob to the board, just posted my buying specs for my 2021 AWD SE.

For those riding around in the 3rd gen, what would you recommend buying for your vehicle right away, assuming you're going to keep it awhile?

I'm considering a ceramic coating and/or a clear bra, maybe a little de-chroming.

Anything to check on at the time of the first service? A maintenance item to buy upfront, knowing it could save hassle down the road?
(I recall my old CRV actually had a tranny fluid exchange scheduled at the time of the first service. Not exactly building confidence at the time, but it turned out to be a good vehicle...)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Disable the cylinder deactivation system.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have no personal experience here, my 17 Elite is problem free but, based on what I had read I would install one if I were to buy a new one today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Maybe some of those Big Dice to hang on the rear view mirror? LOL

Or better yet, a 'cat - back' system and a K&N air cleaner! - oh wait- wrong board/forum LOL

Or maybe a twin turbo bolt on system with a new fuel controller?

Oh, OH, Drop it and add huge little tires and rims.

It's brand new, leave it alone.

Lets hear more about this clear bra? We'll need pictures of women, I mean Pilots in them to critique.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Is this really important if you are not planning to tow something or even if you towing something small should i consider the intercooler. Or only for heavy stuff close to 5000lbs ?
Thank you
Might consider first a device that plugs into the OBD port under the dash that monitors/displays tranny fluid temp. Easy plug-n-play install.

·
Registered
96 Posts
First purchases for mine were OEM splash guards and the folding cargo tray. 3rd party OEM at half the cost of what the dealer wanted. Got some generic all weather mats until I can spring for WeatherTech. And the VCM disabler is on my list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last week I traded my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought new, (hated the ride, I'll say it again, hated the ride and noise of it) towards a 2019 Pilot.
Must say I Luv it... I am getting up to speed on all the features, one thing seems odd is that I can't operate the power features eg. power windows when on acc mode, is that normal?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Might consider first a device that plugs into the OBD port under the dash that monitors/displays tranny fluid temp. Easy plug-n-play install.
Do you mean the scangauge 2 i saw it on sale but wasnt knowing why should i bought it honestly

·
Registered
36 Posts
And whats spec i should be looking for with this device only the tranny temp? I did install svcm so im wondering the specs that i should be aware of looking often is there anything that could go wrong only temp on tranny? Im a beginner in the matter sorry.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Google “transmission fluid temperature“. I’ve been monitoring various fluid temps, volts, boost/vacuum, etc. for a number of years on various vehicles.

Most code readers move from one 1996 and up vehicle to another due to the OBD port under the dash being standardized. I installed an aftermarket tranny cooler on our G2 Ridgeline after frequently observing 210+ TFTs just driving around town. IMO, that’s a little toasty and why I did the cooler install.

There are a wide range of driving conditions that effect fluid temps.....I like knowing temps.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
449 Posts
And whats spec i should be looking for with this device only the tranny temp? I did install svcm so im wondering the specs that i should be aware of looking often is there anything that could go wrong only temp on tranny? Im a beginner in the matter sorry.
Good to know how hot you're running, especially on a Honda 6-speed transmission. BUT, not important to continuously monitor unless you are towing a heavy load. Get a cheap $20 OBDII bluetooth scanner and check it from time to time, plus you can use it for a little bit of troubleshooting if you get a CEL.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good to know how hot you're running, especially on a Honda 6-speed transmission. BUT, not important to continuously monitor unless you are towing a heavy load. Get a cheap $20 OBDII bluetooth scanner and check it from time to time, plus you can use it for a little bit of troubleshooting if you get a CEL.
I got a 9spd tran but should be the same i guess and i live in cold canada country but i guess that doesnt change anything i got a small obd reader when there was code coming out of my odyssey it should do the job but i dont think its the same as the scan gauge that you have the exact temperature live when you driving . I will look at the specs for the pilot to see if there is any variable or if its coming too hot. Im just wondering if anyone has quick spec for all the temp of the 3rd generation of pilot with 9spd tran. Since i install the svcm i never check the tenperature other then on the dashboard. The code reader i have i need to stop and turn off the engine everytime to get a proper read. I thing the obd2 reader using blutooth and i should be able to see it on my phone while the engine is running i guess. I read there a lot of cheap one and im planning to hitch in the future so i think the scangauge 2 should be a great plus just imo.
Last question what is a CEL ?
Sorry im a beginner
I just saw 175 to 220 for the temp
Thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Google “transmission fluid temperature“. I’ve been monitoring various fluid temps, volts, boost/vacuum, etc. for a number of years on various vehicles.

Most code readers move from one 1996 and up vehicle to another due to the OBD port under the dash being standardized. I installed an aftermarket tranny cooler on our G2 Ridgeline after frequently observing 210+ TFTs just driving around town. IMO, that’s a little toasty and why I did the cooler install.

There are a wide range of driving conditions that effect fluid temps.....I like knowing temps.🤷‍♂️
I saw it was 20 above 220 that the problem start. Did you see a big difference when you install the cooler. Did those number drop significantly after the install
Thank you

1 - 20 of 38 Posts