Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been changing my own fluids/oil since High School. I'm 60 now.
While I did order some off Amazon prime recently for about 50 cents a washer shipped- it was for the rear diff.

I never change the crush washers.
I recently did a d/f of my 08 pilot, about to do another one today.
Yup your guessed it. Using the original OEM washers.
Guess what, doesn't leak.

I know, some/many of you will say things like what if it starts leaking, etc.?
I've never had a drain bolt come loose prematurely.
Guess what else, my torque wrench isn't used either.
Haven't stripped one out either.

YMMV

Good Day all.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I’d say that if you don’t change your crush washers and never have leaks, you are probably just applying enough torque to incrementally crush enough of the washer each time you re-use it. But I don’t understand why you just don’t accept the direction of the company that made your vehicles and instead assume that you know more than the manufacturer.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
OK, I've been changing my own fluids/oil since High School. I'm 60 now.
While I did order some off Amazon prime recently for about 50 cents a washer shipped- it was for the rear diff.

I never change the crush washers.
I recently did a d/f of my 08 pilot, about to do another one today.
Yup your guessed it. Using the original OEM washers.
Guess what, doesn't leak.

I know, some/many of you will say things like what if it starts leaking, etc.?
I've never had a drain bolt come loose prematurely.
Guess what else, my torque wrench isn't used either.
Haven't stripped one out either.

YMMV

Good Day all.
Lol, I thought I was the only one. You rebel. :p

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I’d say that if you don’t change your crush washers and never have leaks, you are probably just applying enough torque to incrementally crush enough of the washer each time you re-use it. But I don’t understand why you just don’t accept the direction of the company that made your vehicles and instead assume that you know more than the manufacturer.
🤔 Ummm,
It's a drain bolt.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Not disputing that. What’s your point?
I find it neccesary to torque certain bolts on the vehicle, like a water pump bolt or a idler bearing bolt or something like a caliper bolt or CV axle nut. But a drain bolt simply needs to be snug. After 40 years, you learn what snug is. If you don't know what snug is, keep dragging out the torque wrench.
Been re-using crush washers with no ill effects. I don't feel like I'm getting away with anything.
If your inexperienced and you don't know what snug is and your afraid you might cause a leak at your drain bolt, follow the instructions.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Habitual drain plug crush washer reuser :whistle: especially if the crush washer is in good shape and hardly crushed. Never had a leak and don't expect one as my drain plug is always securely snug. I keep several used ones on hand in case replacements are unavailable at midnight. I've even flipped them over to get a good crush on the other side :p. Amazon has new crush washers in a ten or twenty pack for under $8 so stock up.

I've seen quick oil change joints reuse crush washers crushed to the point resembling a flat washer with a rim around the drain bolt :censored: and still no leaks (not a recommended practice).

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Habitual drain plug crush washer reuser :whistle: especially if the crush washer is in good shape and hardly crushed. Never had a leak and don't expect one as my drain plug is always securely snug. I keep several used ones on hand in case replacements are unavailable at midnight. I've even flipped them over to get a good crush on the other side :p. Amazon has new crush washers in a ten or twenty pack for under $8 so stock up.

I've seen quick oil change joints reuse crush washers crushed to the point resembling a flat washer with a rim around the drain bolt :censored: and still no leaks (not a recommended practice).
Maybe post a link to those low priced crush washers. Mine are like those quick lube places. Lol

Reactions: PHM and aggrex

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes, there is a bit of TX rebel in me!
Those were some great replies that I couldn't have said it better myself!

Have a great day, I'm about to a d/f ATF on my 08 FWD w/ 184K miles.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
251 Posts
Maybe post a link to those low priced crush washers. Mine are like those quick lube places. Lol
Rear Differential Fill and Drain... Amazon.com: Rear Differential Fill and Drain Plug Gaskets Crush Washers Seals Rings Fits for Honda Accord Acura Civic Ridgeline Odyssey CRV CR-V Pilot Fit Element, Replaces for the Part# 94109-20000 90471-PX4-000: Automotive I ordered and used these for my recent vtm fluid change. They are cheap and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside that I replaced both of the crush washers.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
I change the oil crush washer, but not the transmission fill bolt or drain plug. The dealer taped it on the side of a bottle of DW-1 I purchased, and I looked at the receipt and they charged me like $4 without telling me. Made me pretty darn mad.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Intentionally not using crush washers just because they cost a couple of dollars is false economy and relative to the cost of the oil and filter makes no sense. People who own Pilots and other late model premium vehicles aren’t so poor that they can’t afford a half dollar crush washer. And I think Honda knows more about the vehicles they design and build than anyone here in this forum.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Crush washers are a scam. Re use. Shit these cars are not rocket science.
I understand not re using a condom, but a crush washer, get real.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Intentionally not using crush washers just because they cost a couple of dollars is false economy and relative to the cost of the oil and filter makes no sense. People who own Pilots and other late model premium vehicles aren’t so poor that they can’t afford a half dollar crush washer. And I think Honda knows more about the vehicles they design and build than anyone here in this forum.
Why don't you do what you want to do, and let others do what they want to do.
We could debate the reasoning behind why Honda says to change the crush washers. It could be to reduce liability should oil leaks occur and the engine runs dry, it could be because they have done testing and can prove that it's necessary, or they recommend it because that's what everyone has been trained to do so why not?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I don't think anyone is questioning the need for the crush washer. The need for a new one each time is bogus. 👎

Reactions: The Todd and PHM

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
I replace mine every two uses, with a "flip" in between. I'd rather do the job right once, then have to do it twice (because of a leak), and worth the 25c (50c / 2 uses).

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've owned Hondas since '85 and I have never replaced the AT crush washer on any of them...never leaked a drop. The oil drain crush washer is another story...I usually replace it but no always.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've used fumoto for years with no problem. Saw this the other day and thinking about getting it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts