Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my '08 Pilot to Discount Tire today to have them rotated and balanced. They always come out and measure the tread depth and check the mileage. There's currently around 210,400 miles on the odometer. They measured the depth 8/32 on all four tires.

To date, I've put 27,035 miles of city, highway, snow, rain and dirt road driving on these tires. That's pretty dang good if I say so myself....

These tires have been irritating to me. Difficult to balance, kind of loud (but not horrible). They have decent grip.
I would have liked Michelin Defenders but after rebates, these tires cost $450 installed.

Overall, I think the biggest problem I'm going to have with these tires is they won't wear out quick enough. Anyways, I figured it would be good to give an alternate recommendation for good tires. ;)

Also, I "discovered" Discount Tire in 2019 when I replaced these tires. Let me just say buying/servicing tires prior to then was a dreadful experience. Discount Tire is fast and they never upsell. Highly recommend if you're looking for a place to buy tires.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
YK-HTX
Overall, I can’t complain about these tires and I’m impressed they are holding up so well. I had always thought Pilots chewed through tires. I’m not what I’d consider a gentle driver either.
I'm sure you have read the posts about the YK-HTX Yokohamas not balancing well. It's old news. It's also old news that YK-HTX was made exclusively for Discount Tire. Why did they continue to sell this problematic tire? I just wonder how many CV axles, rotors and struts were replaced when it was this poorly made tire causing shakes and shimmies.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took my '08 Pilot to Discount Tire today to have them rotated and balanced. They always come out and measure the tread depth and check the mileage. There's currently around 210,400 miles on the odometer. They measured the depth 8/32 on all four tires.

To date, I've put 27,035 miles of city, highway, snow, rain and dirt road driving on these tires. That's pretty dang good if I say so myself....

These tires have been irritating to me. Difficult to balance, kind of loud (but not horrible). They have decent grip.
I would have liked Michelin Defenders but after rebates, these tires cost $450 installed.

Overall, I think the biggest problem I'm going to have with these tires is they won't wear out quick enough. Anyways, I figured it would be good to give an alternate recommendation for good tires. ;)

Also, I "discovered" Discount Tire in 2019 when I replaced these tires. Let me just say buying/servicing tires prior to then was a dreadful experience. Discount Tire is fast and they never upsell. Highly recommend if you're looking for a place to buy tires.
I’ve been running Firestone Destinations. They have very little road noise, and do great in the winter. The last set went 70k miles and roughly $700 with installation.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure you have read the posts about the YK-HTX Yokohamas not balancing well. It's old news. It's also old news that YK-HTX was made exclusively for Discount Tire. Why did they continue to sell this problematic tire? I just wonder how many CV axles, rotors and struts were replaced when it was this poorly made tire causing shakes and shimmies.
Some of those posts were by me. They balance, just take a lot of effort to balance. The Goodyear tires they replaced would not balance.
I'm just sharing my experience with them has been surprisingly positive. I wouldn't buy them again, but I they continue to get the job done. Maybe this will be the last set of tires I buy for this car.

If you read the reviews, they are overwhelmingly positive.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Define curves....
Slight bends in the interstate, yes I do.
California Curved Interstate:

Texas "Curved" Interstate:

California Curving Road:

Texas "Curving" Road:

The definition of curving roads is much like real estate. Location......location.......locaton.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,165 Posts
When I say curve in regards to highway speed driving, I'm talking about one that comes with a warning sign with a recomended posted speed.
View attachment 147631
The speed limit on the freeways around my area are less than that speed limit sign for a curve. What is the speed limit on the straights?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,165 Posts
I’ve had good experience with the Goelandar AT tires that were installed on the Pilot a few years back. And America’s Tire (Discount in other areas) has given me no reason to shop at the Costco across the street from them.

That’s awesome that you have that much tread left on your tires at 8/32 tread depth. If we get more than 35k miles from a set of tires on the Pilot I’m happy. I’m sure the coarseness of the pavement in my area isn’t helping things.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
When I say curve in regards to highway speed driving, I'm talking about one that comes with a warning sign with a recomended posted speed.
View attachment 147631
And if you are taking that curve at 75 MPH then you are violating the traffic laws as well as creating your own risk. Traffic engineers go to great lengths to ensure that the speed limits set are safe for drivers on any particular portion of street, highway or interstate. 😁

1 - 20 of 100 Posts