Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try this out yet? They look interesting to me.
I drive in the desert Southwest and put on a lot of miles, but I drive on a schedule and when I need to be somewhere, I need to be there, so all-weather performance is important to me. It's hard to find a tire that can hold up to the screaming hot temps, constant high speed highway droning and also still be good in the snow and rain. This look promising though, so interested to see if they've been tested by anyone on the board yet?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
Heat is very hard on tires I think.
Since these are touring tires, I'm going to make the assumption that they are softer and more geared towards a nice smooth ride. I anticipate based on this, they will wear out very quickly for you. There are no reviews on them and they have yet to be tested so nobody knows how they will do.

Again these are my thoughts based off just glancing at the tire. Please don't attack me like I know so many people enjoy doing on these tire threads.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heat is very hard on tires I think.
Since these are touring tires, I'm going to make the assumption that they are softer and more geared towards a nice smooth ride. I anticipate based on this, they will wear out very quickly for you. There are no reviews on them and they have yet to be tested so nobody knows how they will do.

Again these are my thoughts based off just glancing at the tire. Please don't attack me like I know so many people enjoy doing on these tire threads.
That's the exact thought I'm having with these as well. They score very highly for wet weather traction - typically that's a sure sign they will wear quickly in the heat... but they have a 60k mile warranty so I really don't know what to think.... they're pretty new, so reviews are limited as you noted.... who wants to go first? :unsure: :D

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
I drive in the desert Southwest and put on a lot of miles, but I drive on a schedule and when I need to be somewhere, I need to be there, so all-weather performance is important to me. It's hard to find a tire that can hold up to the screaming hot temps, constant high speed highway droning and also still be good in the snow and rain.
I'd look at the Continental CrossContact LX25 with the 'H' speed rating in your size. 70K warranty.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...t+LX25&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=46HR8CCLX25

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=246

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Yokohama lost my trust with the bad balancing issues they had. Especially the YK-HTX sold exclusively at Discount Tire.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
For the squishy touring tire catagory, these Conts are not bad. A little much on the price, but I'd buy these over the Mich Deffender. I appreciate the higher psi value. I just wonder if they can carry a 5000Lb loaded Pilot into a 70mph curve without letting off the gas? I have my doubts.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The Defender seems like the perfect highway tire. More heavy duty than the Yokohama, but also more expensive.

Do not expect to get the full tread life out of any tire you put on a Pilot. They are heavy and chew through tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone try this out yet? They look interesting to me.
I drive in the desert Southwest and put on a lot of miles, but I drive on a schedule and when I need to be somewhere, I need to be there, so all-weather performance is important to me. It's hard to find a tire that can hold up to the screaming hot temps, constant high speed highway droning and also still be good in the snow and rain. This look promising though, so interested to see if they've been tested by anyone on the board yet?

Pre-Pilot, I had a set of these on my Sequoia (obviously a different size).

They were good tires. I didn't keep it long enough to wear them out, but they drove well, were quiet at speed, and didn't have any issues over then tens of thousands of miles I drove on them. They went off-road a few times, but nothing serious, just driving around my farm. They were fine.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
If your in the desert southwest, and you do a lot of highway driving like I do, I really like my Sumitomo HTR AS P02s. New P03s at TireRack.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
The OP also wants a tire that is "good in the snow."
Is that Sumitomo tire you're recommending good in snow?
I dont drive in snow. Have you heard any complaints? A fellow Piloteer in Montana had a set of these.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The OP also wants a tire that is "good in the snow."
Is that Sumitomo tire you're recommending good in snow?
You keep asking that question. Nobody is saying it is or isn’t. Just recommending it. Why do you keep asking that question?

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
You keep asking that question. Nobody is saying it is or isn’t. Just recommending it. Why do you keep asking that question?
Because I recommend tires that are designed for and objectively proven to work well in snow to those who are requesting advice about tires that perform well in snow.

Someone else, who has admittedly never driven in snow and whose main criteria for tire performance is the subjectively judged ability to negotiate curves at 70-75 mph, repeatedly recommends the same tire regardless of the stated needs of a particular Pilot owner.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Because I recommend tires that are designed for and objectively proven to work well in snow to those who are requesting advice about tires that perform well in snow.

Someone else, who has admittedly never driven in snow and whose main criteria for tire performance is the subjectively judged ability to negotiate curves at 70-75 mph, repeatedly recommends the same tire regardless of the stated needs of a particular Pilot owner.
This is not just about navigating a 70-75mph curve. It's a greater safety issue than snow is because it has to do with supporting a 4200Lb curb weight vehicle 100% of the time. Add 4 people and luggage in the back, your now over 5000Lbs. Eco friendly touring tires are generally lighter weight. Weight being sacrificed in the sidewallls where you need structural support to gain handling and stability. It's not only about just about traction and comfort. It's a known fact that being able to accelerate in a curve is safer than coasting around one. Traction without stability = ditch.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

All he said was if OP is looking for a tire that would do well in the desert on the highway, look into the Sumitomo tires.
Am I prohibited from recommending Michelin Defender LTXs because I have only driven in the snow (1-3inches) a couple of times? That makes no sense.

Nobody ever said the Sumitomo was good in snow, but rather its something that may want to be considered.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I've never owned a set of snow tires and my '04 Pilot 4WD system has performed well every winter season. Quality tires from Costco like the Defenders or Alenza that deliver performance for the other 350 +/- days of dry or wet roads. For good snow traction select one with the triple snowflakes, drive sanely+slowly during snow+ice and let the VTM-4 take care of the rest.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
For the squishy touring tire catagory, these Conts are not bad. A little much on the price, but I'd buy these over the Mich Deffender. I appreciate the higher psi value. I just wonder if they can carry a 5000Lb loaded Pilot into a 70mph curve without letting off the gas? I have my doubts.
Both tires - Continental and Sumitomo - have a 105 load index, meaning that each tire has a load capacity of 2,039 lbs.
Thus, a set of four tires can carry up to 8,156 lbs.
Does 3,156 lbs not represent for you a sufficient margin above 5,000 lbs?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Both tires - Continental and Sumitomo - have a 105 load index, meaning that each tire has a load capacity of 2,039 lbs.
Thus, a set of four tires can carry up to 8,156 lbs.
Does 3,156 lbs not represent for you a sufficient margin above 5,000 lbs?
With those load values, I like your choice, if I wanted a touring tire. Continental is doing something right. Since I discovered the driveability of the Honda Pilot on High Performance tires, I'd never go back to a touring tire.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts