Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Pilot (4WD, 71k), 2014 Honda Odyssey (59k)
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking around for tires, and I see a site offering a buy 3 get 1 on these Yokohama Geolandars, it comes out to be around $513 for four, installed. Anyone have any experience with Yokos? Trying to determine whether these would be a worthwhile install for the winter! Currently running Cooper Discoverer SRX tires that came with the vehicle - two new on the front and two 60% on the back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you need off-road tires?
Not at all - but I was wondering if these would be a cheap enough way to justify getting tires that would perform better on ice and snow while still being decent road tires. The reviews seem to indicate that they’re fine on highways? I’m getting option fatigue while looking at tires, tbqh 😅

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
If I wanted a reasonably priced highway tire that is snow rated, I'd go with these Kumho Crugen HT51.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Not at all - but I was wondering if these would be a cheap enough way to justify getting tires that would perform better on ice and snow while still being decent road tires. The reviews seem to indicate that they’re fine on highways? I’m getting option fatigue while looking at tires, tbqh 😅
All-terrain/off-road tires typically do not not have a tread pattern or a tread compound that is best suited for winter conditions.
You want lots of sipes in the tread, not big blocks/lugs; and a relatively soft compound, which would get chewed up off road.

How severe are the winter conditions in which you drive?

Do you usually change over to winter tires on your other/previous vehicles

What makes you think that the Cooper tires might not be adequate?

Which trim level Pilot do you have?

Is that the only Yokohama tire model with the 4 for the price of 3 offer?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts

·
Registered
9,507 Posts

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Yes, I'd expect TireRack to sway the public to one of the big 3. Public rating "Would Buy Again" for Kumho Crugen HT51 is # 2 out of 44. That's huge! 4 and 3/4 stars.
You always try to discount/discredit the results of tests with which you don't agree.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Looking around for tires, and I see a site offering a buy 3 get 1 on these Yokohama Geolandars, it comes out to be around $513 for four, installed. Anyone have any experience with Yokos? Trying to determine whether these would be a worthwhile install for the winter! Currently running Cooper Discoverer SRX tires that came with the vehicle - two new on the front and two 60% on the back.
I like the Yokohama AT tires on my pickup truck. Yokos and Sumito are the AT tires in consideration when my Pilot is ready. Yokos have all of the benefits of an AT tire that I was looking for. Haven’t driven in the snow yet but no issues in the highway: smooth, quiet and good traction. Tire rack shipped them to my home road forced balanced and ready to install.
EA9AE892-B859-400C-8226-404D82747AB0.jpeg
272D6CE1-B18E-4EFD-BE3B-43707CB238ED.jpeg

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Unless your off roading and mud slinging your ride those tires are fine..but be fore warned these damn Pilots love to eat these tries ..i have NOT yet managed to get a set to last more than 50k .

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
"it can be the difference between getting to work, getting home or getting stuck"

Good link.

Note: A Highway Safety Code regulation passed September 17, 2008 for Quebec, Canada, stipulates that: "Between 15 December to 15 March, the owner of a taxi or passenger vehicle registered in Quebec may not put the vehicle into operation unless it is equipped with tires specifically designed for winter driving, in compliance with the standards prescribed by government regulation. The prohibition also applies to any person renting out passenger vehicles not equipped with that type of tires."

Starting December 15, 2014, the Highway Safety Code regulation specifies only tires bearing the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol will be considered acceptable winter/snow tires in Quebec.
For the record, it should be pointed out that the first date has been "updated" :D
to December 1st.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unless your off roading and mud slinging your ride those tires are fine..but be fore warned these damn Pilots love to eat these tries ..i have NOT yet managed to get a set to last more than 50k .
Thanks for the info! What do you think about these for daily drivers on the pilot? I see a lot of people saying that they’re pretty solid all-rounders that work well in winter. I’m feeling encouraged simply due to the buy 3/1 deal going on through December and might just pull the trigger!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts