Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned a lot about the Pilot on this site so I thought I would share some pictures of my aftermarket video system. Many of the pictures came out kind of crappy so I will plan on updating them with better quality ones later, but you can get the general idea for now. Each of the pictures are thumbnails that can be clicked on to link to the full-size photo.

My Pilot is a 2003 Redrock Pearl EX-L with navigation which I picked up on August 23. I had planned on getting my system installed right away but decided to change a couple parts at the last minute so I had to wait until this past Tuesday. The install was done at a Hi-Fi Buys in Marietta, GA (Johnson Ferry Road) by Jason Mooney.

The system is comprised of the following components, each of which I will describe in following posts. Most parts were purchased at Etronics:Total parts: $1,445
Total installation: $440

Total system cost: $1,885

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
AVElectronic Navigation TV Tuner System

AVElectronic Navigation TV Tuner System

The Nav-TV Tuner is the heart of the system. It is an off-air TV tuner/controller that accepts 3 AV inputs, has 2 AV outputs, and most importantly - allows the output to also be displayed on the factory in-dash screen used for the navigation system. To top it all off, it automatically switches to the AV3 input for a backup camera when the car is in reverse, and includes an FM modulator to "broadcast" the audio to the factory FM radio.

The factory navigation screen can be switched between the GPS system and the controller with a red toggle button. My installer fit this in nicely to the left of the steering wheel. He also installed one of the two included diversity antennas in the right rear side window, and the other one under the liner in the back:

Unfortunately, in my garage where I took these pictures I only picked up Christian broadcasting :24: :

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Farenheit T-7007CMS ceiling mount monitor

Farenheit T-7007CMS ceiling mount monitor

The overhead monitor displays whichever source is selected on the Nav-TV Tuner (TV, DVD, PSone, or rearview camera). It includes an IR transmitter for wireless headphones so that the kids can listen to the video sources while the adults listen to music over the speakers. The unit also includes two additional overhead lights which are a nice extra.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pyle PLDVD124 DVD player

Pyle PLDVD124 DVD player

The Pyle DVD player is small enough to fit perfectly in the storage area under the "not an ashtray". Besides DVDs it also plays VCD, SVCD, CD, HDCD, MP3, WMA, Jpeg, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. The player has rear A/V inputs which automatically feed through when the unit is off. We use this to plug in a 20GB Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen portable MP3 player so that it can play through the FM modulator over the factory radio.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sony Playstation PSone

Sony Playstation PSone

Originally I was going to install a PS2 for both games and DVD viewing but later changed my mind for a few reasons. 1) I had heard too many stories about the poor reliability of the PS2, especially when used in cars; 2) The PS2 does not play VCD discs so I wouldn't be able to backup our movies to CD-R to take in the car; 3) Most of the games we play are PSone games for the kids; 4) After buying the PS2 I wished I was able to keep it in the house to play with :D

So in the end I decided on keeping the PS2 in the house and puting a PSone in the car. I believe it will be much better suited for mobile use, and was able to be installed better due to its smaller size. My installer cut out the divider between the front two compartments in the storage area under the sliding cover and the unit fit in perfectly. I use Logitech Cordless Controllers to minimize the wiring.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AVElectronic Bullet Type CCD Color Mirror Image Rearview Camera

AVElectronic Bullet Type CCD Color Mirror Image Rearview Camera

As mentioned earlier, the Nav-TV Tuner automatically switches to the rearview camera input when the car is put into reverse. The camera produces a nice color display which works very well in low light and produces a mirror image so that you see what you would expect to see when looking in a rearview mirror. The photo here (taken at night in my garage) really doesn't do the display justice - it is actually a very high quality picture.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poron micro3s car reversing aid with VDI

Poron micro3s car reversing aid with VDI

Last, but not least is the backup sensor system by Poron. This system is described very well in other posts on the site. Basically, it includes three sensors that are installed on the rear bumper. As the car approaches objects behind it the system will beep and speak the distance to the object - from "8 feet" to "5 feet" down to "12 inches", and finally "crash!".

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for the links and the information about the various AV devices in your vehicle. I bet the kids will love those long drives! Very impressive array of gadgets on your Pilot, indeed. I wish those backup sensors can be customized to add another warning: "Intruder Alert!"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Those were very interesting add-ons.

By the way, was that "Enter the Dragon", the Bruce Lee movie showing in the video in the first post?

Have fun with your gadgets!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aija said:
By the way, was that "Enter the Dragon", the Bruce Lee movie showing in the video in the first post?
Yes it was, good eye! That is one of my favorite scenes, too; it really shows off his speed and ability to not "telegraph" his punches.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
acheslow: Looks great!! Even more amazing is that website of yours! I love how you have your house all wired up. If I could do that, it would be pretty cool. What was the cost to wire up the house like that (sorry for the drifting)?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FLPilot said:
What was the cost to wire up the house like that (sorry for the drifting)?
Thanks. The cost to wire the house is really measured more in time than in dollars. I started over a year ago learning about wiring and installation techniquies and ever since then I have been replacing the video and phone wiring in my house with "structured wiring". I terminate all of the new wiring at a panel in my basement which I can use to distribute phone, data (PC networking), video, and IR control signals throughout the house. For instance, all of my home theater equipment is connected both to my HDTV system in the den as well as to a modulation system which distributes each A/V source to the other TV's in the house. So, to watch Tivo I just tune any TV to channel 100, to watch DVDs (stored on my media server hard drive) I tune to channel 104, etc. I even have a nursery camera on channel 120 and a view of the backyard pond on 124.

If you're interested in this stuff, two great places to learn are AVSForum and comp.home.automation.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nice..
Did you investigate using a laptop as the generic appliance for all the apps? I've been doing just a bit of carputer research and I'm seeing an xm app, obvious jukebox apps, game apps, navigation etc.. seems like a possibility with voice response or an outboard touch screen monitor where the OEM stuff goes in the dash. If you can put a cd changer under the seat or an amp in the boot why not a lap top with a touch screen and run all this stuff. I'm sure you considered it??

ciao
mooz
exlss

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mooz said:
Did you investigate using a laptop as the generic appliance for all the apps?
Thanks, mooz, yes that was one of my first thoughts. I use myHTPC at home as a nice TV frontend to all of my digital photos, MP3s, movies, etc. It even has a weather forecast and I found a way to interface it to my home automation system. If this was my primary vehicle I would definitely have put in a 'carputer'. I even thought how cool it would be to put in an 802.11 card and have the car on my LAN when its in the garage. But since the Pilot is mostly for my wife and kids I wanted something that was permanently and safely installed. I also tend to be constantly tweaking my HTPC and wanted my wife to have dedicated components that just plain work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Achey, sweet setups! It's neat that you can now watch DVD's on your NAV!

re: ETD "Boards don't hit back."
In addition to the speed and non-telegraphing movement, I like how Sigung Bruce incorporated basic hand immobilization and progressive indirect attack into the fight scene with Bob Wall.

You don't have to be an expert to get a laugh out of this one:
http://www.martialarts.dk/videoklip.asp
check out the Jim Carrey videoclip (5th from the bottom)
LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hah, that's a great one, thanks Samuel2003. I always get attacked the wrong way too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
173 Posts
question???

This entertainment system you've had installed.... does your sound still automatically lower when the NAV is giving you directions when using DVD or other????

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: question???

jctatman said:
This entertainment system you've had installed.... does your sound still automatically lower when the NAV is giving you directions when using DVD or other????
Yes, it does. It works just like you are listening to the radio (if using the FM modulator) or CD (if using a Blitzsafe-type adapter).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts